Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

View Poll Results: AMERICANS: Would you buy a 125cc motorcycle for the street?
Yes! 35 40.23%
Hell no! 22 25.29%
Yes, but only at the right price. 30 34.48%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2019, 04:43 PM   #281 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Woody - '96 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 23.82 mpg (US)

Avion and Woody - '96 Dodge/Avion Ram 2500/5th wheel combo
90 day: 15.1 mpg (US)

TD eye eye eye - '03 Volkswagen Beetle GLS
90 day: 49.05 mpg (US)

Mule - '07 Dodge Ram 3500 ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
I've read that Honda is only importing 500 Super Cubs for 2019 so they don't seem to share your optimism.

Honda claims a top speed of 60 mph. However, that is likely with a 130 lb test rider, on flat ground, with a lot of room to reach that speed. I need to be able to accelerate to 55 mph, within the length of a freeway ramp and with a 200 lb rider.

The Cub seems perfect for city use on roads that are 45 mph or less. It is likely too slow for 55 mph freeways (with traffic moving at 65 mph). Any route I take to work has roads with a 55 mph speed limit.
Not a place to be at the bare minimum of power requirements
My first motorcycle experience was on an rs100 Yamaha in the mid 70's.
It was my cousin's bike. We rode the heck out of it around town, but it met its demise and almost my cousin's demise on a valley freeway. He was tucked down in a headwind, and therefore was not in good mirror position to see the drunk driver that pegged him directly with a 20 MPH speed difference. If he had good power for what he was doing, he would have had a chance of avoiding the rear-ender.

2007 Dodge Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 with 6MT
2003 TDI Beetle
2002 TDI Beetle

currently parked - 1996 Dodge 2500 Cummins Turbodiesel
Custom cab, auto, 3.55 gears
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-03-2019, 04:49 PM   #282 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Appliance White - '93 Geo Metro 4-Dr. Auto
Last 3: 42.35 mpg (US)

Stealth RV - '91 Chevy Sprint Base
I used to have no problem riding a Honda 65 S on the expressways of Toronto. I'd move to the rear pegs and lay on the tank, enjoying myself more than any of the plodding drivers.
Old 03-17-2019, 11:54 PM   #283 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Old 05-10-2019, 10:16 PM   #284 (permalink)
EcoModding flying lizard

Cibbie - '88 Honda CBR 250R
Motorcycle
90 day: 48.49 mpg (US)

Rarity - '06 Honda Accord EX V6
Team Honda
90 day: 29.88 mpg (US)

Baby viff - '86 Honda VFR 400R
Motorcycle
90 day: 42.15 mpg (US)

Latios - '08 Suzuki SV650SF
Motorcycle
90 day: 64.56 mpg (US)

Mazda 3 - '14 Mazda 3 i Sport
90 day: 43.25 mpg (US)
Got to ride a friends' newly acquired 1985 Suzuki FA50. As far as I know, its a single speed noped, no cvt i'm pretty sure. Two smoke 49cc. Friend picked it up for $75-100, he just brought it over today so we could put on new tubes and tires.

It needs some fuel tap work, and desperately needs new brakes. You can clamp down on those effers and it barely slows down. Dragging your shoes on the ground does much more! Aside from that, this thing accelerates pretty hard! I wouldn't be afraid to ride one during the 50cc true grits ride, although it could stand to be geared taller for open roads.

Just a picture from Google, don't have a picture of his bike.

It is actually a lot of fun, makes me want to get a scooter. This is a perfect introduction to motorcycling for him, aside from the nonfunctional brakes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	87FA50.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	25855  

Best trip in V6: 52.0
Best tank in V6: 46.0
Best tank in Mazda: 49.9
Best tank in CBR: 61.3
Best tank in SV: 83.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
You can lead a fashion-conscious horse to unusual-looking water...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daschicken For This Useful Post:
Grant-53 (05-10-2019), MetroMPG (05-11-2019)
Old 05-10-2019, 11:37 PM   #285 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

motoIQ has a segment on this engine. Yeah, fix the brakes first. Then use the HPV body shell software on recumbents.com. Bicycle aero bars might fit.
Old 11-18-2019, 12:14 AM   #286 (permalink)
Beginner Ecomodder

Pictures of Honda's 125 "Hunter Cub" are all over the 'net and even though at this point it's just a very well finished prototype many small bore/scooter forums are buzzing about this bike coming to the U. S., maybe as a 2021. If you squint your eyes it looks just like the '86 CT-110 but has all kinds of stuff that'll appeal to buyers today such as F. I., disc brakes, ABS, etc.

American Honda is tight lipped at this point. I've already put in a bid at a dealer to buy the first one they can get. Based upon the looks of the bike displayed at the Tokyo Motor Show many believe this is a pre-production prototype, not something out of a stylist's studio.

Why do folks want it? Some of it is pure sloppy sentimentality for the CT-90/110's folks had when they were younger. Some see it as the ultimate RV bike.

For me it's the answer to my moto-prayers and I'm already planning a trip to ride as much of the original "Dixie Highway" as possible from Indy to Miami and back.

Like the already released Super Cub it'll help satisfy a pent up demand for true lightweight motorcycles--and I promise to learn to understand it's F. I.
Old 01-03-2020, 05:37 PM   #287 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I am a huge fan of small motorbikes, as the saying goes it's more fun to drive a slow vehicle fast/(or to it's potential) than to have to hold back on something faster... I didn't read the whole post, just the first 10 pages or so and the last 5 or so..

There are actually a few really good choices if you're willing to shop around enough, even in the states. I saw no mention of the sym wolf 150cc classic (cb125 honda "clone", made in Taiwan in same factory that made the cb125 for honda). Its air cooled (not necessarily a bad thing-keep it simple & light), 5spd, has the right looks for a motorbike (hard for me to appreciate the sport bike look even as a cbr250r owner). Just a step below the big 3 names in overall build/etc quality. Sym wolf 150 is a very lightweight bike @~230-260lbs wet (haven't ben able to find anything that beats that and I've looked at all the dual sports etc), attractive classic looks or at least can hold it's own compared to anything else that has been mentioned here (be prepared for lots of questions riding it), and can hold ~65mph(actual) and real world 85+ mpg (not trying too hard, but at 220lbs rider I couldn't get a lot better personally if talking highway speeds of 65) ...I wouldn't ride it redlined for hours on end at 65-75, but for 10 miles at a time it has no problem at that (well 65 up hills, maybe 70 if you know how to use momentum -like driving an old vw bus...), and I've taken it on several longer trips 60-65mph for long periods. The 125 Kawasaki cruiser is also an option, (forget the model) often found in motorcycle safety classes and it can go 60 with no problems. Kymco K-Pipe is also an attractive bike, perhaps a step below the wolf 150 capability wise..., and the ~200cc Chinese dual sport is also an interesting option.

If that class of small bikes doesn't suit your needs, the 250 segment is again sparse but with enough used choices.... the most interesting fuel economy wise...cbr250r, ninja 250, and Suzuki tu250x-(tu250 is on the lower end of the spectrum power wise but still adequately interstate capable). All would be appropriate if you (think) you need just a little more speed than the 125-150cc class.

Basically if you're riding style/commute/etc will have the 125cc or 150cc accelerating flat out , all the evidence seems to suggest that 250cc will get better mileage than the 125/150 going flat out. (With current models, some scooters like pcx125 have been more optimized for economy, it seems, but for most of the current options even overseas, in the 125/150- we are still talking 20-40+ year old engine designs). If you don't need to go faster than 50-60, the 125cc is a solid option!

I've dreamed about the cbr125r from Canada a bit as well, and too I would LOVE a small fuel injected 6spd (I would pick a 150 or a 200 if it were me, something that looks like the cg150...), but I looked at the real world WEIGHT and MPG (@ highway speeds) and the Sym 150 beats the Canadian 2008+ cbr125r...

The thing is, a 125 or 150 can get great mpg around town or upto 50mpg, maybe 55mpg, but if we're talking mpg at full throttle, my strong feeling is (at least with the current options) a 250cc will get better mpg in those speeds. Looking at the Vedder fuel economy challenge results, even the old ones, it's hard to argue with that! 175 -250cc seems to be the sweet spot for ~60-65+mph.

I get essentially equal or slightly better mpg on my cbr250r at 65 than the sym wolf 150 on an identical commute at ~65, but significantly better on the wolf 150 at 50-55mph.

I saw the electric motorcycle cityslicker "e-grom clone type" from CSC mentioned, and I too am interested in these, but I'd personally go another route at this time rather than buying from CSC... (I'd buy a used chinese base level one that has a dead battery etc & upgrade).
These are cool bikes! I've ridden one (base level china type) that I believe was 2000w w/ lead batteries. They were sold for as low as $1000 new...they have been around for almost 5 years now, since just after the electric scooters started showing up. I'm personally waiting to find a cheap/used one with a bad battery, and I'll plan to do an upgrade (motor, controller, lithium battery, bms/cell balancer). 96v system around 100aH and 5kw motor(or larger) for these should be just about right. (I don't think there is room on the e-grom for that large of a battery pack without a top/rear box or "saddle bag" batteries, but for my purposes that is what I'd want to shoot for, for adequate range at speed). There are a few interesting discussions of upgrades on these if you search online. Although CSC is established enough to have better than average quality control, they are just selling a china bike. I would look to get it directly from Zongshen or another (identical/similar, "slightly better reputation" than the worst of them) Chinese manufacture directly if buying new. The other thing to mention is there are now "full size" electric motorcycles out there from China, have been for the last ~2 years, similar internals to the grom clone typically sightly higher specs (72-96v, 3kw?)..but "ninja 250 clone" style FULL SIZE bike frame. I haven't seen them showing up used, I don't think they have been sold in very high numbers yet, but my feelers are also out for this type,used/wrecked/dead battery... as a starting point for an upgrade. I'd probably start with a lead pack and then after a year or 2 build my own lithium on this type of project once I was sure the other upgraded components were holding up.
The Following User Says Thank You to new_bug For This Useful Post:
Daschicken (01-04-2020)
Old 01-04-2020, 12:34 PM   #288 (permalink)
Ecomodding Englishman

The Turdis - '05 Smart Fortwo Cabrio Passion
I'm 275lbs. Anything under 350ish struggles for suspension and power with me aboard. If it weren't for that, then a 125 would be sweet for local to intermediate work.

2004 Smart Fortwo 0.7 petrol.
Motorbike.
Many, many bicycles.
2019 Volvo XC90 T8 - 400BHP plug in hybrid insanity.

All journeys I do under 10 miles are human powered - I make journeys, not excuses..
2019 mileage - 1900 by car, 7100 by bicycle.
Old 01-04-2020, 03:03 PM   #289 (permalink)
EcoModding flying lizard

Cibbie - '88 Honda CBR 250R
Motorcycle
90 day: 48.49 mpg (US)

Rarity - '06 Honda Accord EX V6
Team Honda
90 day: 29.88 mpg (US)

Baby viff - '86 Honda VFR 400R
Motorcycle
90 day: 42.15 mpg (US)

Latios - '08 Suzuki SV650SF
Motorcycle
90 day: 64.56 mpg (US)

Mazda 3 - '14 Mazda 3 i Sport
90 day: 43.25 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by new_bug View Post
There are actually a few really good choices if you're willing to shop around enough, even in the states. I saw no mention of the sym wolf 150cc classic (cb125 honda "clone", made in Taiwan in same factory that made the cb125 for honda). Its air cooled (not necessarily a bad thing-keep it simple & light), 5spd, has the right looks for a motorbike (hard for me to appreciate the sport bike look even as a cbr250r owner). Just a step below the big 3 names in overall build/etc quality. Sym wolf 150 is a very lightweight bike @~230-260lbs wet (haven't ben able to find anything that beats that and I've looked at all the dual sports etc), attractive classic looks or at least can hold it's own compared to anything else that has been mentioned here (be prepared for lots of questions riding it), and can hold ~65mph(actual) and real world 85+ mpg (not trying too hard, but at 220lbs rider I couldn't get a lot better personally if talking highway speeds of 65)

Basically if you're riding style/commute/etc will have the 125cc or 150cc accelerating flat out , all the evidence seems to suggest that 250cc will get better mileage than the 125/150 going flat out. (With current models, some scooters like pcx125 have been more optimized for economy, it seems, but for most of the current options even overseas, in the 125/150- we are still talking 20-40+ year old engine designs). If you don't need to go faster than 50-60, the 125cc is a solid option!
The wolf is actually a really cool option. The k pipe’s 4 speed and no clutch is not appealing to me. The kick start on both bikes is awesome, I want a kick started bike! The wolf really reminds me of the Yamaha SR 400. The SR has fuel injection though. I’m not quite ready for a fourth bike just yet, but if I decide to go for the small single naked bike route, then I will have to compare the wolf and the SR400.

Both the PCX and the 50cc metropolitan get high compression ratios, fuel injection, and liquid cooling. I really wish Honda would throw a manual transmission on one of those engines.

Best trip in V6: 52.0
Best tank in V6: 46.0
Best tank in Mazda: 49.9
Best tank in CBR: 61.3
Best tank in SV: 83.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
You can lead a fashion-conscious horse to unusual-looking water...

Old 01-06-2020, 10:11 AM   #290 (permalink)
Beginner Ecomodder

Actually at least in the U. S. the K-Pipe does indeed have a clutch--two of them, in fact. The one on the crank allows it to come to a stop without having to find neutral or holding the clutch lever in and allows you to take off again by just twisting the throttle. Shifting is another deal and you have to use clutch #2 (disengaged like most motorcycles with the hand lever).

It's crank clutch setup is similar to the one on the Honda TRX-90 four wheeler. The one on the main shaft is a very conventional clutch similar to most bikes.

The K-Pipe has a lot going for it and you can't beat the price. I bought one in 2016 and I'm happy with my purchase.

The Following User Says Thank You to woodsrat For This Useful Post:
Daschicken (01-06-2020)
Reply  Post New Thread