Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2008, 05:56 PM   #31 (permalink)
Boxhead

Boxy Brown - '04 Scion xB
90 day: 35.48 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to whokilledthejams
I do a little EOC, and my box is lowered on the TRD lowering springs (1-1.5"). I'd like air suspension, but that would be fairly ridiculous (not to mention the added weight, and the engine having to power an air compressor-- I have an idea to ghetto-rig a system, that would be somewhat less complex). Realistically, I might get a set of Tanabe DF210 springs (for around a 2" drop) at some point when I can afford a set of springs and an alignment.

I have a cold air intake modified so that the filter is up in the engine compartment. It certainly didn't hurt, but I have been dragging my feet on cleaning the filter.

I have a little bit of cash to blow, and I think I might get a Scangauge. It'll only pay for itself, really.

Ultimately, though, what's helped me the most is simply slowing down. My commute is pretty easy (only two stops and three turns over 6 miles, mostly with 40-50mph limits), so I'm still slightly puzzled as to why my mileage isn't that great.

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-15-2008, 06:21 PM   #32 (permalink)
Box Dreamer

xB Commuter - '04 Scion xB
90 day: 40.76 mpg (US)
I am still too chicken to do EOC. Driving <65mph and DWL give me great mpg. However, 40mpg is like a wall hard to beat without EOC.

Last tank, I've got 40.17. I hope I can keep it up. Hopefully, the good number is not caused by filling in different gas station. Let's see the end of the week.

The future mod I am considering is grill block, since whokilledthejams did a such good job on his xB. Scangauge..... The $150 is a lot. I am not sure how well my xB can go with scangauge. 45mpg without EOC? But, so far, I don't see anyone can do it with this boxy car without EOC.

Lower the car is a great idea, but how is the ride? The original setting is choppy already. Does changing shock and spring help? or getting worse since the suspension is firmer and the travel distance is smaller?
Old 07-15-2008, 06:37 PM   #33 (permalink)
Boxhead

I've never ridden in an xB on stock springs. From what I hear, however, the car rides like a skateboard no matter what you do. In this respect, an air suspension setup actually would help, as when the car is lower, there's less pressure in the bags that hold the car up, and thus, a softer ride. Additionally, Monroe shocks apparently make for a smoother ride than stock, at least enough to offset the use of lowering springs.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:54 PM   #34 (permalink)
Box Dreamer

I may replace the rear shocks with Monroe later. So, still not considering lower the car. Now, still fine tune with my driving skill to maximize mpg without any mod.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:02 PM   #35 (permalink)
Rapidly Evolving Driver

Brick House - '04 Scion xB
90 day: 36.44 mpg (US)
xB love - brick or not, it's the perfect urban multiuse car.

Just to throw a bit of general xB love into this thread where the blocky shape has been mentioned a few times as a detractor to pulse and glide . . . as a primarily urban car, I wouldn't have it any other way. I have hauled yard debris to be recycled in Berkeley, moved my girlfriend from SF to Oakland with her mattress on the roof, moved myself from Berkeley to Oakland with a number of trips with stuff tied to the roof and in the car, taken it to Burning Man with the rear seats removed for room, and can fit into parking spaces that many cars can't. And it seats 5 comfortably, earning it the nickname "clown car" with my friends who always count on me to cart them around the city.

The only thing that could make it more perfect as an urban car would be a few more ecomods, and of course if it were hybrid or electric. The Escape Hybrid is too big, as is the new xB. When are they going to make a small boxy hybrid or even diesel or diesel hybrid for the US market?? That will be my next car . . . not in a hurry though, as I only have about 36k miles on mine.

so, xB love all around!
Old 07-16-2008, 12:24 PM   #36 (permalink)
Box Dreamer

I agree with you. xB is my dream car. It is very practical and easy to find parking. The huge passenger room is the reason I fall in love in first sight. I also hope this is a hybrid, for gaining more power and saving more gas. Hey, the next dream car may be Honda Fit hybrid? Small, roomy, practical, reliable, and save gas.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:59 AM   #37 (permalink)
Box Dreamer

Oh, my dream is broken~~~. I've got 40.17mpg last time @ costco gas station. Tonight, I fill up again from the gas station I usually go. It drops to 38.84mpg this tank. I believe the pump in Costco stop pumping gas earlier than this station. In average of 2 tanks, it is only 39.48mpg. Still less than 40mpg, but very close...

Both grills were blocked by a plastic film last night. I have run 90 miles already. I can tell the different when going down the hill. It coasts little faster. The cold temp turns off about 0.2 miles earlier in the morning, and the fan is always on when running in town. The weather is still cool today, especially in SF. Tomorrow, I will have a long trip, and come back on Sunday after driving 350miles. Hopefully, no overheat and achieve good mpg.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:03 AM   #38 (permalink)
Boxhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbUser View Post
Oh, my dream is broken~~~. I've got 40.17mpg last time @ costco gas station. Tonight, I fill up again from the gas station I usually go. It drops to 38.84mpg this tank. I believe the pump in Costco stop pumping gas earlier than this station. In average of 2 tanks, it is only 39.48mpg. Still less than 40mpg, but very close...

Both grills were blocked by a plastic film last night. I have run 90 miles already. I can tell the different when going down the hill. It coasts little faster. The cold temp turns off about 0.2 miles earlier in the morning, and the fan is always on when running in town. The weather is still cool today, especially in SF. Tomorrow, I will have a long trip, and come back on Sunday after driving 350miles. Hopefully, no overheat and achieve good mpg.
That's still amazing mileage. I'd kill to get close to 40mpg.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:30 AM   #39 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
You may want to open up one of the blocks a little bit. You want to avoid the fan being used as much as possible without hurting aero too much. Congrats on the good tanks.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:33 AM   #40 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,603 Posts
Congrats on the improvement. I agree with Daox - open up the grille more. If the fan is running constantly in town, you're hurting MPG (added electrical load) and running too hot.

Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
driving techniques, mod, mpg, scion xb