Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2019, 02:27 PM   #81 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,387 Times in 3,361 Posts
Automobiles and mattresses; some of the last products to not be sold at advertised prices, unless one is determined to be absolutely non-confrontational.

I hope Tesla ruins the pricing and dealership models. If nothing else comes of it, I consider that a wild success.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (11-30-2019)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-28-2019, 02:42 PM   #82 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,176 Times in 806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Automobiles and mattresses; some of the last products to not be sold at advertised prices, unless one is determined to be absolutely non-confrontational.

I hope Tesla ruins the pricing and dealership models. If nothing else comes of it, I consider that a wild success.
People accept a price if they are sure that's the price everyone else is paying. Few products fit this. Even apple phones occasionally go on sale as much as buy one get one free. The computers and tablets they make seem to be more solid on the price. Very few brands just set a price and never do sales, coupons, clearances, etc. Occasionally something is temporarily short of supply for demand and you will be lucky to get it at list price. The 2020 Corvette is going to be that way this year.
Old 11-28-2019, 03:13 PM   #83 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,572 Times in 7,058 Posts
Here's the competition: #Bollinger #OffRoad #ElectricTruck
You Won't Believe How Clever this Electric Pickup Truck & SUV Really Are

With the front and rear tailgates and the mid-gate down* it's a shotgun shack.

I like the defroster vents.

edit:
* Bollinger's personal favorite feature is the pass-through under the dashboard. I can see dog owners loving it — like having a doghouse under the dashboard.

Last edited by freebeard; 11-28-2019 at 03:29 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
NeilBlanchard (11-30-2019)
Old 11-28-2019, 10:45 PM   #84 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,387 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
Very few brands just set a price and never do sales, coupons, clearances, etc. Occasionally something is temporarily short of supply for demand and you will be lucky to get it at list price. The 2020 Corvette is going to be that way this year.
Sure, adjusting to supply/demand just makes sense. What doesn't is setting a price expecting nobody to pay it. Why exclude a market who thinks that's the price, who would otherwise have purchased if they had known the actual lower price?

I'm telling you, the dealership and MSRP model of selling vehicles is at the beginning stages of the end.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 11-28-2019, 11:24 PM   #85 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/tesla...uter-remmerie/
That seems like a reasonable analysis. It shows no separation at the top. I believe that max angle per Coanda or somebody is 45° and it's much less than that. The surprise is the top of the nose, but as I suspected, the chamfered front reduces the stagnation area.

The analysis of the tow I saw said the Ford's front wheel spin clockwise and the rear wheel spins counterclockwise ((two wheel drive)). And the German Expressionist camera angle made it look uphill.

I think the aero or towing capacity are beside the point. It initiates a new era of manufacturability. Six pasengers 500 miles for $70K. The aero will be fine on Mars. Isn't that the point anyway?

The Motortrend article mentions using "active suction" at the roof peak to reduce separation:

https://www.motortrend.com/news/tesl...manufacturing/

"But the aerodynamics of that peaky profile?

It almost looks like a deliberate, suicidal attempt to trigger boundary separation—a potential drag-raising catastrophe for limited-energy EVs. And an odd 180 turn from the Model X and Y, which have such delicately arched profiles precisely to avoid drag-raising trip wires like this.

Tesla might have erased the problem with active suction to bend the boundary-layer downward just aft of that peak. Gordon Murray's McLaren F1 used this trick, and SpaceX has plenty of expertise in active measures to manipulate airflow around its re-entering Falcon 9 first stages. However, with the bed cover deployed, the angle of its vast descending surface is evidently shallow enough for the flow to naturally reattach. The benefit being that it harvests a useful fraction of the air pressure that blocky, open-bed trucks almost entirely forfeit. Actually, the tougher aerodynamic trick has been coaxing the temperamental flow around those sharp A-pillars.
"
Old 11-29-2019, 03:17 AM   #86 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Tesla might have erased the problem with active suction to bend the boundary-layer downward just aft of that peak.
'Active suction' is well known (outside journalism ) as https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coanda_effect. I see no indication of air vents.

More likely an electric plasma actuator. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasma_actuator

You find a similar [passive] angle break on a bullet boat tail. https://duckduckgo.com/?q=bullet+boat+tail

The A-pillars are laid back enough to not be a problem. The real problem would be the refractive index of the glass. Everything has fresnel.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
slowmover (12-08-2019), The Armadillo (12-01-2019), Xist (11-29-2019)
Old 11-29-2019, 12:39 PM   #87 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

That study... I'm no Tesla fan (this truck is blatant greenwashing combined with bourgeois escapism) but I don't believe that 0.48 Cd for a second, they definitely screwed that up. Here's another one with some good analysis pictures but they don't quote a Cd. I'd be surprised if it's over 0.30, they do everything right for aero except the wheel well crap.
https://www.instagram.com/p/B5ODYyBB...d=kdh9oenvzx9c
The Following User Says Thank You to Auptimist For This Useful Post:
Xist (11-29-2019)
Old 11-29-2019, 02:41 PM   #88 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

While I don't disagree with your premise, the fly in the ointment is this:
Quote:
(this truck is blatant greenwashing combined with bourgeois escapism)
There're three fingers pointed back at you. "This truck is" ....many things to many people.

Here's the iconic brick on wheels before it was optimized.

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...to-production/

I'm no fan of Reddit [lately], but there is this: https://www.reddit.com/r/engineering...as_cybertruck/

Last edited by freebeard; 11-29-2019 at 02:54 PM..
Old 11-29-2019, 07:34 PM   #89 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,176 Times in 806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auptimist View Post
That study... I'm no Tesla fan (this truck is blatant greenwashing combined with bourgeois escapism) but I don't believe that 0.48 Cd for a second, they definitely screwed that up. Here's another one with some good analysis pictures but they don't quote a Cd. I'd be surprised if it's over 0.30, they do everything right for aero except the wheel well crap.
https://www.instagram.com/p/B5ODYyBB...d=kdh9oenvzx9c
They don't quote a Cd because it was probably not that great, and they couldn't be bothered a few minutes more to put the horrible wheel flairs or at the bare minimum at least stick the tires outside the body. So why question the detailed study because somebody else spent 5 mins and is getting 100 times the press saying basically nothing but "Tesla good".
Old 11-29-2019, 08:16 PM   #90 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
So why question the detailed study because somebody else spent 5 mins and is getting 100 times the press saying basically nothing but "Tesla good".
I've read it more as 'Best Tesla Ever".

Yes people sell bad thinking to the press for to distribute it; but memes move faster.

Just A Car Guy: putdown memes are popping up from CyberTruck haters already

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
ME_Andy (11-29-2019)
Reply  Post New Thread