Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-30-2013, 10:34 PM   #51 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Actually the piston seal is supposed to deform upon application then retract the piston a small amount upon release. But oftentimes it just doesn't seem to have enough oomph to really do the job.

Did you look at these springs? They are far too puny to ever come anywhere near fully retracting the piston. Look at them. They are nothing more than a little helping hand for that seal.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-30-2013, 11:58 PM   #52 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcosine View Post
The car use to come to a full stop and there was always some drag after appling the brakes. Now there is not and it rolls on the slightest grade, even after braking! The brake petal doesn't go down any further than before.
Ehhh ????

I'm not understanding how this can be a good thing, safety wise. The last thing that i want is my car rolling backwards at an intersection.

This was one of the main reasons i chose an automatic when i first got my car decades ago.

Please explain, since i'd also like to try these out ( or make my own ! )
Old 08-31-2013, 12:14 AM   #53 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Lean and Mean - '98 Honda Civic HX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.69 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cd View Post
Ehhh ????

I'm not understanding how this can be a good thing, safety wise. The last thing that i want is my car rolling backwards at an intersection.

This was one of the main reasons i chose an automatic when i first got my car decades ago.

Please explain, since i'd also like to try these out ( or make my own ! )
While stopped at an intersection, you usually have the brake applied anyway (manual or auto). There is no safety issue, since the clips only prevent excess drag when the brakes are not applied. It's not as if the braking function of the car is being altered or effected. The purpose of the clips is to reduce drag when the brake pads are not suppose to be in contact with the disk.

Old 08-31-2013, 01:00 AM   #54 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Truck - '02 Nissan GU Patrol ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
Actually the piston seal is supposed to deform upon application then retract the piston a small amount upon release. But oftentimes it just doesn't seem to have enough oomph to really do the job.
Doesn't this suggest that there is an actual maintenence issue to be dealt with and replace the seals if they are not performing their role properly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
Did you look at these springs? They are far too puny to ever come anywhere near fully retracting the piston. Look at them. They are nothing more than a little helping hand for that seal.
Yes I did read the thread fully and saw pictures of the springs, but this doesn't actually indicate how much tension is applied.
The whole thing really needs someone to go out and do some proper testing on both pro's & con's, not that hard to do.
1/ A series of coast down tests with and without springs should clearly show if they reduce rolling resistance significantly.
2/ Controlled braking tests, drive a controlled route with minimal use of brakes and plenty of vibration to free up pads to their maximum opening, then assess emergency stop on safe straight section by checking stopping distance from set marker.

Maybe atleast some attempt to assess merit.
Old 08-31-2013, 02:47 AM   #55 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

TexasThunder Avg MPG 54 - '08 Toyota Prius Base
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post
Can or could this be done with a 2004 Toyota Prius??? non Honda vehicles
Old 08-31-2013, 03:54 AM   #56 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo

Quote:
Yes I did read the thread fully and saw pictures of the springs, but this doesn't actually indicate how much tension is applied.
You've worked on brakes so you have some idea of the pressure needed to spread calipers... right?

You've been around springs so you have some idea of how strong they are by looking at how big they are... right?

Old 08-31-2013, 04:24 AM   #57 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Yes that's true and I too can make seat of the pants assessments, but I still wonder why this particular mod is not given the same rigourous judgement as inlet manifold adjustments.
Where's the ABA testing on performance and risk?
Some say they put on a K & N filter and got 2 mpg improvement and instantly there is a cry of ABA testing & Unicorns.
Put on these springs and say my wheel spins better when on a stand and everyone applauds.
What's the difference?, prove the benefit or toss it in with the Unicorns.

I don't really care, I won't be installing a K&N filter or these springs, just find the double standard quite interesting.
Old 08-31-2013, 04:43 AM   #58 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo

Because one appeals to logic and reason and withstands scrutiny and the other... doesn't.

On top of that, we know the OEMs have been introducing low-drag calipers lately; what does that tell us? It tells me that there was room for improvement in the traditional caliper design.

We know these springs are on some OEM equipment too. How many unicorns are OEM?

Old 08-31-2013, 05:34 AM   #59 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Logic & reason are only relevant to one's knowledge base, as you learn more the implausable becomes plausable.

Low drag calipers in OEM designs, are these specifically with spring openers or is it completely revamped designs, does not necesarilly validate aftermarket additions.

Most of the modifications here are not OEM's on the designated vehicle, yet all of them can be found on one vehicle or another, does this mean they applly to all or no vehicles?

There's a real grey area here, where's the testing, like everyone has cried out in the past where's the ABA testing?

Do these springs give a real benefit or not and to which vehicles, is there potential for a 5mpg gain or is it a vehicle by vehicle benefit, none of it is quantified in any way as far as I can see.

I've been following these trails for both performance and economy and have found that 9/10 times they fail to come through with the goods.

Will a $10 spring set save me $10, don't know, either way the outlay is low, but is there any risk involved, don't know no one has even tried to quantify that aspect.

The most important aspect of a vehicle is stopping it and anything that may compromise this needs to be considered very carefully, there's no problems adding 50 hp to acceleration, the bigger issues are removing that from stopping power.

Quantify it, show me some numbers.
Old 08-31-2013, 05:59 AM   #60 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo

Outline the test criteria that you would approve of.

Reply  Post New Thread