Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2021, 06:26 PM   #361 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Is the Raspberry Pi 40-pin GPIO included?
Until recently I didn't even know what a Raspberry Pi was.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-01-2021, 06:29 PM   #362 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Raspberry Pi shouldn't be affected.

Say you have a company that sells computers and computer parts.

Indivudual parts are unaffected.

Educational and expirimental stuff (like the Raspberry Pi) are also unaffected.

But then you got your prebuilt computers.

Ones that are not very expandable (upgradeabl)e and don't have a lot of processing power have to use a very small amount of energy and shut off at a certain time to be sold anywhere Title 20 is in place. So stuff like laptops, all-in-ones and mini computers all fall in this category. They are not (very) "expandable" because (most) everything is soldered together. You can't upgrade the CPU, you can't add another stick of RAM, there are no PCIe slots so no way to add a graphics card internally, the SSD is soldered to the motherboard so that can't be upgraded. These computers have to use very little electricity compared to the rest or they can't be sold.

But take a full sized ATX tower computer for another example. Even if you get one with a Core i3 or Ryzen 3 processor, no graphics card a small mechanical hard drive and only 2GB of RAM, this computer can use substantially more power than a "non-expandable" one and still be sold. That's because you could put in a Core i9 or Ryzen 9, up the RAM to 64GB, swap out the hard drive for a blazing fast SSD and stick in dual graphics cards if you so desired. It could still fail if the PSU isn't efficient enough or you don't make it go to sleep in 30 minutes by default, or if you don't get it certified. But in the end, it shouldn't be hard to do on such a computer.

There's a lot of things that can be done to tweak a computer to use as much power or as little as you want. Usually the last couple percent of performance can nearly double the power consumption. Just throttle it back just a little and get a good PSU so it doesn't use much while idle either and you could easily pass the new regulation.
Old 08-01-2021, 07:37 PM   #363 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,585 Times in 7,069 Posts
Quote:
Raspberry Pi shouldn't be affected.... These computers have to use very little electricity compared to the rest or they can't be sold.
Maybe a bare board that ships with a case (some assembly required) is all it takes to humiliate bureaucrats? 80% lowers all over again.

I talked to my son. I'd thought all that graphics power was to drive a set resolution in pixels and all you get is the protagonist's shirt sleeves fluttering in the breeze. But he said the one 4K monitor at 60 frames per second or two at 30 is pathetic. Gamers want 120 frame per second.

We left it at where thin clients and cloud computation fall is over last mile latency problems. I think that's only one thing that Starlink will disrupt.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr -- it's a single-board SOC (System on chip). It comes in different flavors like the Pi Zero, and you can install a headless OS for Internet of Thingies.

The Pi 4b is about the size of a deck of cards. I printed out this bracket to put mine on the wall next to my desk.

www.thingiverse.com/thing:4908608

You can get cases that look like the Death Star or a functional octopod robot.

Old 08-01-2021, 08:25 PM   #364 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
I talked to my son. I'd thought all that graphics power was to drive a set resolution in pixels and all you get is the protagonist's shirt sleeves fluttering in the breeze.
UHD (4K) resolution at 120Hz is becoming pretty common, mainly because of hype. And again, you can get computers that will game like that in California.

For a person who knows more about how people see things, UHD (4K) is a joke for the most part. When sitting at a comfortable distance from a screen most people can't tell the difference between HD (720P) and FHD (1080P) let alone the difference between FHD (1080P) and UHD (4K). It's much better to game at a higher frame rate but lower resolution than a higher resolution and lower frame rate.

4K might make sense as a computer resolution where you got to lean in and see some small detail from time to time. Or maybe a cell phone in split screen mode with the screen 6 inches from your face.

Frame rates above 120Hz also don't do much to improve the experience. 60Hz to 120Hz is noticeable. 120Hz to 240Hz is hard to tell the difference. There are some screens with frame rates as high as 500Hz.

As many gamers have found out, the best gaming screens were the old VGA style tube CRT monitors. Those could do FHD (1080p) and frame rates of up to 120Hz, but without the motion blur problems of LCD (or LED) and OLED screens. LCD will always have pixel response lag as LCD can't change instantly. And even OLED suffers without significant BFI (black frame insertion). Basically the pixels on OLEDS and LCD screens just change colors without going to black making a moving image blur as the eye sees the object here and then there as one big blur. BFI helps by adding a black frame in between but also makes the screen much darker and still isn't great because the blacking may only be about 50% of the time Old fashion CRT's didn't do that since the pixels were black most of the time and lit up only brefely making the blacking more like 99% (or better) of the time.

Last edited by Isaac Zachary; 08-01-2021 at 08:33 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Isaac Zachary For This Useful Post:
freebeard (08-01-2021)
Old 08-01-2021, 09:16 PM   #365 (permalink)
Growin a stash

The spirit of the law makes sense but it seems a little too nitpicky. Like, what if California started to regulate the power draws of electric toothbrushes next? I could actually imagine that.

I would say that a better way to discourage power consumption is to increase prices, but they're already high in CA.

2024 Chevy Bolt

Previous:
2015 Nissan Leaf S, 164 mpge
Old 08-01-2021, 09:18 PM   #366 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Low power requirement suggests a retina display wearable. A room full of people could watch a virtual movie screen, each with their individual point of view.

While we wait for Neuralink.

Old 08-01-2021, 09:47 PM   #367 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by ME_Andy View Post
The spirit of the law makes sense but it seems a little too nitpicky. Like, what if California started to regulate the power draws of electric toothbrushes next? I could actually imagine that.

I would say that a better way to discourage power consumption is to increase prices, but they're already high in CA.
That may be true.

On the other hand, computers have slowly been becoming more and more power hungery over the years. Back in the good ol' days of the first home computers in the 70's, less than 100 watts was quite common (IIRC). Now there are PC's people are buying that need over 1,000W to run. I actually have a computer with a 1,400W PSU. To go any higher I'll need a 20 amp outlet. Maybe make that a 30 amp outlet.

While we're on the subject of gaming power the most power efficient route would be to get into retro games and play them on hardware based systems, either original 8 bit or 16 bit consoles or computers, or on FPGA's (field programable gate arrays like the MiSTer project). (In other words, avoid emulation).

Last edited by Isaac Zachary; 08-01-2021 at 09:58 PM..
Old 08-02-2021, 02:27 AM   #368 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Back in the good ol' days of the first home computers in the 70's, less than 100 watts was quite common (IIRC).
512K Macintosh Max Watts: 60 / Amps: .5 / BTU per Hr: 205.2

About as much power as a 60 watt light bulb, and maybe the light of a 15 Watt light bulb.

Quote:
....retro games and play them on hardware based systems
RetroPie - Retro-gaming on the Raspberry Pi
https://retropie.org.uk
Welcome to RetroPie. RetroPie allows you to turn your Raspberry Pi, ODroid C1/C2, or PC into a retro-gaming machine. It builds upon Raspbian, EmulationStation, RetroArch and many other projects to enable you to play your favourite Arcade, home-console, and classic PC games with the minimum set-up.

https://www.thingiverse.com/search?q...&sort=relevant

edit:
mini Commodore PET! + A brief history of PETs!

Old 08-02-2021, 08:36 AM   #369 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Quote:
512K Macintosh Max Watts: 60 / Amps: .5 / BTU per Hr: 205.2

About as much power as a 60 watt light bulb, and maybe the light of a 15 Watt light bulb.
You can also tell that older systems didn't need near as much power due to the fact that a cooling system (heat syncs and fans) wasn't even needed.

Now compare those old computers to this article that discuses what PSU (Power Supply Unit) to get when building a PC. (Prefabricated Gaming PC's aren't much different)

[URL="https://www.windowscentral.com/1000w-vs-850w-vs-500w-power-supply"]1000W vs. 850W vs. 500W power supply: Which PSU will you need | Windows Central[URL]

It even discuses PSU's clear up to 1800W! At the rate we're going we'll need 2kW, then 3kW, then 5kW then 7kW power connections just to hook up gaming, workstation and rendering PC's! That's as much as a Level 2 EVSE!
Old 08-02-2021, 09:51 AM   #370 (permalink)
Growin a stash

That's wild. I have a high end laptop that can run just about anything within reason and its power supply is only 240W. I guess people are always taking things to extremes.

2024 Chevy Bolt

Previous:
2015 Nissan Leaf S, 164 mpge
Reply  Post New Thread