Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2021, 03:21 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
Tesla Model S / air suspension / cooling drag

1) I'm given to understand that not all of the Tesla Model S sold, have air suspension.
2) Some owners report that their vehicle has coil springs and no air suspension.
3) Does the drag coefficient of the Model S vary as a function of ride height?
4) If so, how much?
5) If so, wouldn't that affect its road load?
6) If so, wouldn't that affect its motor cooling requirement.
7) And wouldn't it affect the battery discharge rate cooling requirement?
8) If so, wouldn't the cooling drag vary with Tesla's ' multi-stage active management ' ?
9) Which begs the question, how would we experience a 'fixed' cooling system drag?
Inquiring minds want to know!

Last edited by aerohead; 04-30-2021 at 03:21 PM.. Reason: add data
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-30-2021, 04:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

Thanked 1,605 Times in 1,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
1) I'm given to understand that not all of the Tesla Model S sold, have air suspension.
2) Some owners report that their vehicle has coil springs and no air suspension.
3) Does the drag coefficient of the Model S vary as a function of ride height?
4) If so, how much?
5) If so, wouldn't that affect its road load?
6) If so, wouldn't that affect its motor cooling requirement.
7) And wouldn't it affect the battery discharge rate cooling requirement?
8) If so, wouldn't the cooling drag vary with Tesla's ' multi-stage active management ' ?
9) Which begs the question, how would we experience a 'fixed' cooling system drag?
Inquiring minds want to know!
I've already cited the SAE paper that I have been using for my comments. Inquiring minds would go and read the darn paper, not make up endless guff.
The Following User Says Thank You to JulianEdgar For This Useful Post:
aerohead (04-30-2021)
Old 04-30-2021, 04:58 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

using

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianEdgar View Post
I've already cited the SAE paper that I have been using for my comments. Inquiring minds would go and read the darn paper, not make up endless guff.
So Palin doesn't know the actual Cd. And he's unfamiliar with Tesla's product line? Or your book is wrong?
Help us out here.
Old 04-30-2021, 05:12 PM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
So Palin doesn't know the actual Cd. And he's unfamiliar with Tesla's product line? Or your book is wrong?
Help us out here.
aerohead (04-30-2021)
Old 04-30-2021, 05:48 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

SAE Paper

Quote:
I've just revisited #1 permalink, at the 'closed' thread. There's nothing there about any link to any paper about the Model S or Taycan.
It is # 1 permalink I've been responding to. Check it out.
Old 04-30-2021, 05:50 PM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
I've just revisited #1 permalink, at the 'closed' thread. There's nothing there about any link to any paper about the Model S or Taycan.
It is # 1 permalink I've been responding to. Check it out.
That's right, it's in my second post in the thread. Pretty hard to miss unless you're deliberately trying to do so.
aerohead (04-30-2021)
Old 04-30-2021, 06:14 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

hard to miss

Quote:
That's right, it's in my second post in the thread. Pretty hard to miss unless you're deliberately trying to do so.
Someone else might have prefaced their original permalink with a reference to the two citations.
Perhaps it never enters your mind how much trouble this can cause to your readers.
Talk first. Think later!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So, after revisiting Palin et als.' paper:
1) the Tesla Model S modulates the cooling inlet air volume.
2) therefore, it cannot have a cooling system drag of any fixed value, by default. It has a 'spectrum' of cooling drag
3) and since ground clearance affects drag coefficient
4) and drag coefficient affects both motor power and battery discharge-related cooling requirements
5) whether or not any particular Tesla Model S has active suspension will determine its drag, and by default, its cooling needs. It cannot have a fixed cooling system drag if it has active suspension.
Old 04-30-2021, 07:14 PM   #18 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Someone else might have prefaced their original permalink with a reference to the two citations.
Perhaps it never enters your mind how much trouble this can cause to your readers.
Talk first. Think later!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So, after revisiting Palin et als.' paper:
1) the Tesla Model S modulates the cooling inlet air volume.
2) therefore, it cannot have a cooling system drag of any fixed value, by default. It has a 'spectrum' of cooling drag
3) and since ground clearance affects drag coefficient
4) and drag coefficient affects both motor power and battery discharge-related cooling requirements
5) whether or not any particular Tesla Model S has active suspension will determine its drag, and by default, its cooling needs. It cannot have a fixed cooling system drag if it has active suspension.
If you want to make up your own, new definition of cooling drag - fine. But that's not the approach used in the current technical literature.

To be honest, it seems that you just want to make things as complex and difficult as possible. I am not sure why.
Old 05-21-2021, 01:02 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

LEAF and i-MiEV cooling

*From what I can glean online, both these BEVs use passive and active battery cooling, although nothing about motor cooling is mentioned.
* The 'active' cooling involves the vehicle's air conditioning system, which is used during recharging and discharge, to help keep the pack within design limits.
* Since there is no dedicated 'radiator', and no engine bay, it seems plausible that designers would have freedom to engineer air-tight ducting with optimized inlets and outlets, for these single heat exchanger systems.
* That said, then both cars would be candidates for exceptionally low-drag cooling systems.
* And since neither car is necessarily a paragon of low drag, their cooling system drag, as a percentage of overall drag, might demonstrate a low percentage.
Old 05-21-2021, 05:14 PM   #20 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
*From what I can glean online, both these BEVs use passive and active battery cooling, although nothing about motor cooling is mentioned.
* The 'active' cooling involves the vehicle's air conditioning system, which is used during recharging and discharge, to help keep the pack within design limits.
* Since there is no dedicated 'radiator', and no engine bay, it seems plausible that designers would have freedom to engineer air-tight ducting with optimized inlets and outlets, for these single heat exchanger systems.
* That said, then both cars would be candidates for exceptionally low-drag cooling systems.
* And since neither car is necessarily a paragon of low drag, their cooling system drag, as a percentage of overall drag, might demonstrate a low percentage.
Who knows? Anyone can guess anything but that's the thing about using actual measured data from professional sources - it's not guesswork.

And total cooling drag includes the air con condenser.

Reply  Post New Thread