Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2021, 03:21 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
aerohead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sanger,Texas,U.S.A.
Posts: 12,460
Thanks: 20,041
Thanked 6,224 Times in 3,843 Posts
Tesla Model S / air suspension / cooling drag

1) I'm given to understand that not all of the Tesla Model S sold, have air suspension.
2) Some owners report that their vehicle has coil springs and no air suspension.
3) Does the drag coefficient of the Model S vary as a function of ride height?
4) If so, how much?
5) If so, wouldn't that affect its road load?
6) If so, wouldn't that affect its motor cooling requirement.
7) And wouldn't it affect the battery discharge rate cooling requirement?
8) If so, wouldn't the cooling drag vary with Tesla's ' multi-stage active management ' ?
9) Which begs the question, how would we experience a 'fixed' cooling system drag?
Inquiring minds want to know!

__________________
Photobucket album: http://s1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj622/aerohead2/

Last edited by aerohead; 04-30-2021 at 03:21 PM.. Reason: add data
  Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 04-30-2021, 04:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
JulianEdgar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,821
Thanks: 99
Thanked 1,459 Times in 1,032 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
1) I'm given to understand that not all of the Tesla Model S sold, have air suspension.
2) Some owners report that their vehicle has coil springs and no air suspension.
3) Does the drag coefficient of the Model S vary as a function of ride height?
4) If so, how much?
5) If so, wouldn't that affect its road load?
6) If so, wouldn't that affect its motor cooling requirement.
7) And wouldn't it affect the battery discharge rate cooling requirement?
8) If so, wouldn't the cooling drag vary with Tesla's ' multi-stage active management ' ?
9) Which begs the question, how would we experience a 'fixed' cooling system drag?
Inquiring minds want to know!
I've already cited the SAE paper that I have been using for my comments. Inquiring minds would go and read the darn paper, not make up endless guff.
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JulianEdgar For This Useful Post:
aerohead (04-30-2021)
Old 04-30-2021, 04:58 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
aerohead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sanger,Texas,U.S.A.
Posts: 12,460
Thanks: 20,041
Thanked 6,224 Times in 3,843 Posts
using

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianEdgar View Post
I've already cited the SAE paper that I have been using for my comments. Inquiring minds would go and read the darn paper, not make up endless guff.
So Palin doesn't know the actual Cd. And he's unfamiliar with Tesla's product line? Or your book is wrong?
Help us out here.
__________________
Photobucket album: http://s1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj622/aerohead2/
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 05:12 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
JulianEdgar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,821
Thanks: 99
Thanked 1,459 Times in 1,032 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
So Palin doesn't know the actual Cd. And he's unfamiliar with Tesla's product line? Or your book is wrong?
Help us out here.
I've already cited the SAE paper that I have been using for my comments. Inquiring minds would go and read the darn paper, not make up endless guff.
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JulianEdgar For This Useful Post:
aerohead (04-30-2021)
Old 04-30-2021, 05:48 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
aerohead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sanger,Texas,U.S.A.
Posts: 12,460
Thanks: 20,041
Thanked 6,224 Times in 3,843 Posts
SAE Paper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianEdgar View Post
I've already cited the SAE paper that I have been using for my comments. Inquiring minds would go and read the darn paper, not make up endless guff.
I've just revisited #1 permalink, at the 'closed' thread. There's nothing there about any link to any paper about the Model S or Taycan.
It is # 1 permalink I've been responding to. Check it out.
__________________
Photobucket album: http://s1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj622/aerohead2/
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 05:50 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
JulianEdgar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,821
Thanks: 99
Thanked 1,459 Times in 1,032 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
I've just revisited #1 permalink, at the 'closed' thread. There's nothing there about any link to any paper about the Model S or Taycan.
It is # 1 permalink I've been responding to. Check it out.
That's right, it's in my second post in the thread. Pretty hard to miss unless you're deliberately trying to do so.
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JulianEdgar For This Useful Post:
aerohead (04-30-2021)
Old 04-30-2021, 06:14 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
aerohead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sanger,Texas,U.S.A.
Posts: 12,460
Thanks: 20,041
Thanked 6,224 Times in 3,843 Posts
hard to miss

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianEdgar View Post
That's right, it's in my second post in the thread. Pretty hard to miss unless you're deliberately trying to do so.
Someone else might have prefaced their original permalink with a reference to the two citations.
Perhaps it never enters your mind how much trouble this can cause to your readers.
Talk first. Think later!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So, after revisiting Palin et als.' paper:
1) the Tesla Model S modulates the cooling inlet air volume.
2) therefore, it cannot have a cooling system drag of any fixed value, by default. It has a 'spectrum' of cooling drag
3) and since ground clearance affects drag coefficient
4) and drag coefficient affects both motor power and battery discharge-related cooling requirements
5) whether or not any particular Tesla Model S has active suspension will determine its drag, and by default, its cooling needs. It cannot have a fixed cooling system drag if it has active suspension.
__________________
Photobucket album: http://s1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj622/aerohead2/
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 07:14 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
JulianEdgar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,821
Thanks: 99
Thanked 1,459 Times in 1,032 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
Someone else might have prefaced their original permalink with a reference to the two citations.
Perhaps it never enters your mind how much trouble this can cause to your readers.
Talk first. Think later!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So, after revisiting Palin et als.' paper:
1) the Tesla Model S modulates the cooling inlet air volume.
2) therefore, it cannot have a cooling system drag of any fixed value, by default. It has a 'spectrum' of cooling drag
3) and since ground clearance affects drag coefficient
4) and drag coefficient affects both motor power and battery discharge-related cooling requirements
5) whether or not any particular Tesla Model S has active suspension will determine its drag, and by default, its cooling needs. It cannot have a fixed cooling system drag if it has active suspension.
If you want to make up your own, new definition of cooling drag - fine. But that's not the approach used in the current technical literature.

To be honest, it seems that you just want to make things as complex and difficult as possible. I am not sure why.

  Reply With Quote
Reply  Post New Thread


Thread Tools




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com