Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2012, 08:49 PM   #71 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gealii View Post
well i know today because of hypermiling it saved me from hitting a deer. i was going 35mph dis morning were a 2 lane road split into a 4 lane road and increased to 55mph beings i did not feel like wasting fuel speeding up for 3 secs just to turn i stayed at 35 then a deer jumped out and i was going slow enough to use the brakes and just have the deer's hind legs jumping over the hood of my zx2. I'm loving hypermiling more and more everyday.
Nahhh, it nearly got you in an accident and scared the hell outta that poor deer.

You should have been driving like a mainiac, that way you would have been past that spot well before the deer crossed.

Also, there is the fact that deer are incredibly stupid when it comes to crossing roads. Odds are that that same deer will eventually punch his own ticket someday in the future, but, he will be bigger and cause worse damage.

You should feel ashamed of yourself for not taking that damn thing out!!!!

Sure wish somebody else had whacked that damn buck that jumped in front of me last fall on my way to work. He did a pretty nice job to the front of my ranger. Oh, and BTW, I was EonCoasting to a stop sign when he pounced, so, I guess I was hypermiling.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-11-2012, 12:19 AM   #72 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete c View Post
Is it civil when someone allows traffic to pile up behind them because their getting an extra .3 mpg is more important than safe driving conditions?
That's a fair question. But you're sorta leading the question with how you frame it. Nobody thinks safty should be sacrificed. I think the disagreement is about whether it is being sacrificed and why. Let's just stay away from a drift toward name calling like "moron." It makes static in a discussion. That's all.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:30 AM   #73 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Volt, gas only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 38.02 mpg (US)

Volt, electric only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 132.26 mpg (US)

Yukon Denali Hybrid - '12 GMC Yukon Denali Hybrid
90 day: 21.48 mpg (US)
I just want to throw this out there in case anybody missed it the last thousand times you read the signs, its called a speed LIMIT! Not speed requirement!

What does it say about society if we all cater to the majority and not the correct?

Old 06-11-2012, 08:53 AM   #74 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Quote:
If you are going to quote someone, use the entire quote.
No. I do this for clarity and to avoid messes like this one here (I could have quoted the whole thread, but that would bog things down even more). It comes in handy when addressing a specific point and helps reduce clutter.

Anyway, let me get this straight. Society banded together and elected people to set rules, some of which are speed limits. Now I owe it to society to break those rules even though area law enforcement treats speeding like it's the number one threat to public safety?

I do exceed the posted limit, but not by as much as I used to. Another part of the enjoyment with hypermiling is that I can focus more on actual driving and less on scanning for threats. EOCing past a traffic stop that blew by me me five minutes ago is just gravy. But politeness and smooth traffic flow notwithstanding, how much gasoline do I owe anyone and why do I not have the right to remain in compliance with the law? It's not that I'm always below the limit and there are many places where doing it is unreasonable, but not everybody does what we want them to all of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

Old 06-11-2012, 12:51 PM   #75 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
A lot of posts point to speeding as the cause of fatal accidents.

German research - one of few countries doing proper research on accidents - points out that it's the main cause in only around 3% of accidents !

Driving slower has had one marked dangerous effect : people will pull out in front of me at even shorter distances than they used to do ...

Additionally, few people are able to correctly gauge the speed of a regular car doing semi speeds.

Last edited by euromodder; 06-11-2012 at 12:57 PM..
Old 06-11-2012, 12:56 PM   #76 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Volt, gas only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 38.02 mpg (US)

Volt, electric only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 132.26 mpg (US)

Yukon Denali Hybrid - '12 GMC Yukon Denali Hybrid
90 day: 21.48 mpg (US)
Speed no doubt contributes, but people still follow too closely, get road rage, get distracted, dont look or signal, etc. Many people just can't handle a vehicle safely at higher speeds. Speed just makes accidents happen faster.

Old 06-11-2012, 04:17 PM   #77 (permalink)
UFO
Master EcoModder

Colorado - '17 Chevrolet Colorado 4x4 LT
90 day: 23.07 mpg (US)
Quote:
So, I guess what you are saying is driving 3 mph over the limit is more dangerous than 3 miles under?

If you believe that, you are a moron, plain and simple.
I think you just lost.
Quote:
Anyone whpo has spent much time at all on the road knows what happens when someone drives along at anything less than the posted limit on a busy road. Traffic backs up behind them quickly. People get frustrated, start tailgating and next thing you know, someone runs into someone.

Does this mean that the slowpoke is at fault? Technically no.
Not just "technically no," Absolutely NO.

No way am I going to be pushed faster than I want to go, especially if it's over the speed limit. Deal with it and take responsibility.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:37 PM   #78 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
German research - one of few countries doing proper research on accidents - points out that it's the main cause in only around 3% of accidents !
I'm not saying I don't believe you, but could you provide a citation or a more detailed description of the research you're invoking?
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:21 PM   #79 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO View Post
I think you just lost.

Not just "technically no," Absolutely NO.

No way am I going to be pushed faster than I want to go, especially if it's over the speed limit. Deal with it and take responsibility.
I am not suggesting anyone exceed the posted limit just to make the people behind him happy. What I am saying is that if you are not going to maintain that speed or something awfully close to it, simply be aware of traffic behind you and show a bit of courtesy. Extend your glide a little more, turn on your right turn signal and get over, so all us impatient folks can get to the fires we are driving to a bit more quickly.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:35 PM   #80 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Charlie View Post
No. I do this for clarity and to avoid messes like this one here (I could have quoted the whole thread, but that would bog things down even more). It comes in handy when addressing a specific point and helps reduce clutter.
Bull.

You didn't need to quote the entire post. You could have posted the entire sentence, however. But, posting the entire sentence makes the person being quoted sound quite reasonable. By cutting off the end of the sentence, that person looks like a d-bag.

Quote:
Anyway, let me get this straight. Society banded together and elected people to set rules, some of which are speed limits. Now I owe it to society to break those rules even though area law enforcement treats speeding like it's the number one threat to public safety?
Nope, you don't have it straight. I said that it makes sense to maintain the limit at times, but, if you still want to drive slower, it is your right. Just be courteous and don't hold up traffic. If traffic builds behind you, either pick it up a bit or move over so others can pass safely.

Quote:
I do exceed the posted limit, but not by as much as I used to. Another part of the enjoyment with hypermiling is that I can focus more on actual driving and less on scanning for threats. EOCing past a traffic stop that blew by me me five minutes ago is just gravy. But politeness and smooth traffic flow notwithstanding, how much gasoline do I owe anyone and why do I not have the right to remain in compliance with the law? It's not that I'm always below the limit and there are many places where doing it is unreasonable, but not everybody does what we want them to all of the time.
You have to right to hypermile as much as you'd like. I hypermile my arse off on the way to work at 5:30 AM. On the way home, I still do my share of P&Ging, but, I keep an eye in the mirror and modify this behavior when if it means I will hold people up behind me. It is just plain common courtesy. Well, it should be common, anyway.

Reply  Post New Thread