Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2014, 11:08 PM   #41 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
I hope others chime in- I don't want to be the sole person saying go G1!

I chimed in so it wouldn't be forgotten, but as you more so describe your personal situation, it seems like it is the way to go. Hope all goes well, and you do have IC.N for a resource. I use it for learning and guides, but prefer the community here.
Your not the first one though, I was told when I first started looking into getting a new car after the accident to get a G1, but I was never told about bypassing the battery so I threw it out the window because of it. I have always feared having to replace that darn battery, and because you can bypass it in the G1, while I can save up to replace the bad one, I can just bypass it and then replace it when I get the money.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-04-2014, 11:12 PM   #42 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
Or not replace it, and do other things. Grid charge, cycle, rebalance. Other ways to get use out of it without the big investment.

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:13 PM   #43 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
Or not replace it, and do other things. Grid charge, cycle, rebalance. Other ways to get use out of it without the big investment.
It seems I have a lot to learn...

Old 05-04-2014, 11:49 PM   #44 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Civic DX (sold) - '97 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 34.15 mpg (US)

GTO (sold) - '04 Pontiac GTO
90 day: 22.62 mpg (US)

Green Brick (sold) - '06 Ford Escape Hybrid
90 day: 31.93 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltothewolf View Post
For the record VSkid, thank you for your help, I'm sorry if it seems im shooting everything you say down but I'm really not.
No problem, just trying to make you consider the other aspects of ecomodding besides just gas mileage.

Insights are good cars. I don't know how the CVT performance compares to the manual, but my manual Insight was pretty slow without assist. Adequate for someone on this site, though, and highway performance wasn't too bad (I assume the CVT would do even better, as it would automatically "downshift"). The one you're looking at sounds like it could be good to go for at least a couple years before needing anything besides regular maintenance.

My biggest advice for someone buying any hybrid is to get to know the car, how it works, and how to diagnose problems. You don't need to be an expert, but there's plenty of info online that will help you figure issues out. If you take it to the dealer, they're probably not going to know what to do and will just throw parts (and your money) at the problem and hope they fix it. If you can fix it yourself or at least point the dealer/shop in the right direction, it'll save you a lot of money.

Camry Thread
E-Bike Thread
Old 05-04-2014, 11:53 PM   #45 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Quote:
Originally Posted by vskid3 View Post
No problem, just trying to make you consider the other aspects of ecomodding besides just gas mileage.

Insights are good cars. I don't know how the CVT performance compares to the manual, but my manual Insight was pretty slow without assist. Adequate for someone on this site, though, and highway performance wasn't too bad (I assume the CVT would do even better, as it would automatically "downshift"). The one you're looking at sounds like it could be good to go for at least a couple years before needing anything besides regular maintenance.

My biggest advice for someone buying any hybrid is to get to know the car, how it works, and how to diagnose problems. You don't need to be an expert, but there's plenty of info online that will help you figure issues out. If you take it to the dealer, they're probably not going to know what to do and will just throw parts (and your money) at the problem and hope they fix it. If you can fix it yourself or at least point the dealer/shop in the right direction, it'll save you a lot of money.
Yea I did this with my Camry, bits and pieces here and there i just learned to fix on my own instead of going somewhere to get it fixed. I'm doing some research about common problems and how to fix them so I will know what to do if/when they arise(on the insight).

Old 05-05-2014, 01:55 AM   #46 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

You know I was thinking, do I even need a Ultragauge for my insight? If it already has a built in MPG gauge, then I don't think I need to get more instrumentation do I?

Old 05-05-2014, 03:30 AM   #47 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 30.49 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,219 Times in 1,710 Posts
Quote:
I don't want a hybrid due to the battery. I know they go out eventually and I don't have time to mess with them, that's the only thing keeping me from buying one.
An Insight with a dead battery pack still gets better mileage than a Prius.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:44 AM   #48 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
You know I was thinking, do I even need a Ultragauge for my insight? If it already has a built in MPG gauge, then I don't think I need to get more instrumentation do I?
The gauge has a lot of features the OEM display won't offer... coolant temp... instant, trip , and overall mpg... gph... engine load percentage... throttle positiln... still the great useful buy for the best hypermiling techniques.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:21 AM   #49 (permalink)
Hypermiler

PaleCivic (retired) - '96 Honda Civic DX Sedan
90 day: 69.2 mpg (US)

PaleFit - '09 Honda Fit Sport
Team Honda
Wagons
90 day: 44.06 mpg (US)
Back to the Civic, I recorded 45 mpg on a highway trip with the (aftermarket) cruise control set at 65 mph, with several passengers.

11-mile commute: 100 mpg - - - Tank: 90.2 mpg / 1191 miles
Old 05-05-2014, 01:59 PM   #50 (permalink)

For reliable transportation, I'd have a hard time recommending anything with an early CVT.

A 1-owner, low mileage, 6th gen Civic with well-documented maintenance history sounds like a great choice. Maybe not as good of mileage as the G1 CVT Insight, but I bet it causes less grief and has lower maintenance costs long-term.

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods
Reply  Post New Thread