Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2014, 12:22 PM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Civic DX (sold) - '97 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 34.15 mpg (US)

GTO (sold) - '04 Pontiac GTO
90 day: 22.62 mpg (US)

Green Brick (sold) - '06 Ford Escape Hybrid
90 day: 31.93 mpg (US)
Comparing the Camrys and Civics on Fuelly in those years, the Camry averages about 25MPG and the Civic is 31-32MPG. This isn't taking different trannies and trim levels into account, but I think it would be safe to say that mid-high 30's would be doable in a auto Civic.

For the LEDs, I don't think using green ones would make much difference for the blue parts. You might be able get a different colored overlay. I would check out Civic forums for more info.

Camry Thread
E-Bike Thread
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-04-2014, 05:31 PM   #22 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vskid3 View Post
Comparing the Camrys and Civics on Fuelly in those years, the Camry averages about 25MPG and the Civic is 31-32MPG. This isn't taking different trannies and trim levels into account, but I think it would be safe to say that mid-high 30's would be doable in a auto Civic.

For the LEDs, I don't think using green ones would make much difference for the blue parts. You might be able get a different colored overlay. I would check out Civic forums for more info.
What civic forum xD (I think I found it but I'm not sure)? And yea, I guess I will have to see about the MPG, I'm kinda thinking about not getting it because I can get a corolla with double the mileage for only 3.5k, and I figure that the gas I will save in the 50k less miles I will get out of the transmission will pay for itself if I can get 5-8 more mpg out of a 00-01 corolla... Idk MPG is my main concern. I got to drive my boyfriends moms civic (2013) down to the gas station (15 mile round trip) and I averaged 49mpg (did a little coasting in neutral and had a headwind going there/tailwind coming back) and I noticed his mom only gets 38.1 average so. Idk. The MPG concerns me because I drive 80 miles round trip a day, and would rather spend more money now to spend less gas in the long run, making up for the difference... I'm confused right now tbh. I just want to be able to average 38-41mpg and I'll be happy but if I can't even get that out of this Civic, I won't even bother getting it.

Old 05-04-2014, 06:08 PM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Civic DX (sold) - '97 Honda Civic DX
90 day: 34.15 mpg (US)

GTO (sold) - '04 Pontiac GTO
90 day: 22.62 mpg (US)

Green Brick (sold) - '06 Ford Escape Hybrid
90 day: 31.93 mpg (US)
Why not a Civic with twice as many miles?
The way I see it, the two biggest obstacles are that you want a car with low miles and an automatic. Low miles isn't necessarily better, especially in a car that's 10+ years old. Low miles generally means it wasn't used often, either for short trips or only occasionally for long trips. That can be brutal for some of the fluids. A manual tranny will generally get you better MPGs, especially if you're hypermiling (though your mostly highway driving may negate that advantage). They also tend to be low maintenance, and cheap when they do need fixed. I think you said something about having a bad back in another thread, making it painful to push the clutch, but have you tried it?

With your commute, it looks like you would drive around 20k miles a year. At 40MPG, that's 500 gallons. A quick search shows that gas prices are over $4 a gallon in your area, so that's at least $2000 a year for gas at current prices. At the 33MPG your Camry got, that would be over $2400 a year. So keep that in mind when looking at the money spent now vs later.
The best way to reduce your costs would be shortening your commute, either by moving closer or getting a job that's closer. Dunno how viable either of those are, but remember that commuting by car is pretty expensive and a cut in pay/increase in living costs may balance out a shorter commute.

Camry Thread
E-Bike Thread
Old 05-04-2014, 07:17 PM   #24 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Quote:
Originally Posted by vskid3 View Post
Why not a Civic with twice as many miles?
The way I see it, the two biggest obstacles are that you want a car with low miles and an automatic. Low miles isn't necessarily better, especially in a car that's 10+ years old. Low miles generally means it wasn't used often, either for short trips or only occasionally for long trips. That can be brutal for some of the fluids. A manual tranny will generally get you better MPGs, especially if you're hypermiling (though your mostly highway driving may negate that advantage). They also tend to be low maintenance, and cheap when they do need fixed. I think you said something about having a bad back in another thread, making it painful to push the clutch, but have you tried it?

With your commute, it looks like you would drive around 20k miles a year. At 40MPG, that's 500 gallons. A quick search shows that gas prices are over $4 a gallon in your area, so that's at least $2000 a year for gas at current prices. At the 33MPG your Camry got, that would be over $2400 a year. So keep that in mind when looking at the money spent now vs later.
The best way to reduce your costs would be shortening your commute, either by moving closer or getting a job that's closer. Dunno how viable either of those are, but remember that commuting by car is pretty expensive and a cut in pay/increase in living costs may balance out a shorter commute.
First off, yea your right about the low miles, but the guy that owned it changed the oil once every 8 months (if he wasn't driving it) and the tranny fluid once a year. (He has records to prove it). Second yes, I tried to drive a manual, I finally convinced my little brothers boss to let me drive it, and at first I was fine, but after about 20 minutes my back started hurting extremely bad and I had to pull over and have my brothers boss drive it home.As for a job that's closer, or moving, neither is an option at this point in my life my boyfriend lives up the hill near me and even then, I don't make enough at my job to move closer, the housing is double what I'm paying now, just for rent, let alone utilities and food. And getting a job closer, isn't easy either. I had a job that was more then 1/2 as many miles that was going well, but I had to lift 20-80lbs crates of soda and that just isn't possible with the way my back is now. I'm going for an MRI on Wednesday so I hope the damage isn't permanent but I have a feeling it is.

For the record VSkid, thank you for your help, I'm sorry if it seems im shooting everything you say down but I'm really not.

Old 05-04-2014, 09:07 PM   #25 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
What's the issue with a G1 Insight?

The one I just bought (5 speed, 83k miles, 2000) was 5k, and a friend just bought one (2005 with 133k, 5 speed) 5.5k. These are on the pricier end- although a CVT will be lower than a standard MPG wise, not much else comes close.

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:30 PM   #26 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Compare Side-by-Side

Best Tanks:
Old 05-04-2014, 09:42 PM   #27 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
What's the issue with a G1 Insight?

The one I just bought (5 speed, 83k miles, 2000) was 5k, and a friend just bought one (2005 with 133k, 5 speed) 5.5k. These are on the pricier end- although a CVT will be lower than a standard MPG wise, not much else comes close.
I don't want a hybrid due to the battery. I know they go out eventually and I don't have time to mess with them, that's the only thing keeping me from buying one.

Old 05-04-2014, 09:57 PM   #28 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

You could flip the on off switch and make it gas only. It's pretty simple, I would have taken some pictures when I did an Insight IMA swap last night. Pull up the rug, take out two 10mm bolts, red cap, flip the switch.

On the highway it would probably be more efficient without the battery, to be honest. They're heavy.

EDIT: There is a LITTLE more to it, please check post below.

Best Tanks:

Last edited by UltArc; 05-04-2014 at 10:03 PM..
Old 05-04-2014, 10:00 PM   #29 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
You could flip the on off switch and make it gas only. It's pretty simple, I would have taken some pictures when I did an Insight IMA swap last night. Pull up the rug, take out two 10mm bolts, red cap, flip the switch.

On the highway it would probably be more efficient without the battery, to be honest. They're heavy.
What kind of mpg does it get without the battery? And do you think it could power up a 6% grade for 2 miles? Because I have to do that on a daily basis... You have now sparked my interest knowing that you can just rip the battery out when it goes out until I can find a new one... Also, I looked about 20 mins ago and couldn't find any of them for under 6k. All the ones I found are 7.5-9k...

Also, I want to make a point, I would be perfectly happy to see 40MPG (with whatever car I do get) so anything over that is just pawsome.

[Edit]: I did find this one, but the question is, why would he rebuilt the CVT at only 130k miles? Do they go out that fast? http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...71008788&Log=0

Old 05-04-2014, 10:02 PM   #30 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Hybrid Automotive - Honda Insight (2000-2006) Battery Bypass Instructions

It takes a few minutes. 15 at most. We did two IMA battery swaps last night, and it took maybe an hour and a half- in the dark with one light.

Best Tanks:
Reply  Post New Thread