Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2014, 07:58 PM   #71 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
California98Civic, great work! Is there a reason that you did not include the Civic Si? The 98-00 had a 4.266 final drive, according to Honda Civic (sixth generation) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, which strangely omits that detail for the HX.
I don't recall why I did not include them, but I would guess it was because that was really the sport trim, with the shortest gearing. We rarely see them on this site, and usually EM people want to avoid the shortest gearing vehicles. That's all.

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
vrmouseyd15b (09-08-2014)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-08-2014, 08:12 PM   #72 (permalink)
ALL UP ON THE INTERWEB!!!

skidmark - super snail - '89 honda civic wagon WAGOVAN
Team "Old SKOOL"
90 day: 30.87 mpg (US)

Pituca - '19 Honda Insight Touring
90 day: 39.34 mpg (US)
One more for California98Civic!

(I finally got the EOC kill switch installed- followed your how to from an old thread)

THANKS!

Old 09-08-2014, 10:09 PM   #73 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
Oh wow, the insight has taller gears then my civic did?!?! It sure doesn't feel like it, even without assist. It feels like 3.73 and that's what I thought it had...

Old 09-09-2014, 09:04 AM   #74 (permalink)
Hypermiler

PaleCivic (retired) - '96 Honda Civic DX Sedan
90 day: 69.2 mpg (US)

PaleFit - '09 Honda Fit Sport
Team Honda
Wagons
90 day: 44.06 mpg (US)
The 99-00 Si runs a B16 engine from the Integra, not a Civic D series. I don't believe the parts are interchangeable. And the gear ratios are dumb.

11-mile commute: 100 mpg - - - Tank: 90.2 mpg / 1191 miles
Old 10-19-2015, 04:35 AM   #75 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
California98Civic, great work! Is there a reason that you did not include the Civic Si? The 98-00 had a 4.266 final drive, according to Wikipedia, which strangely omits that detail for the HX.
It's a typo. 94-01 B18B uses 4.266 final. EM1 (99-00 Civic Si with B16A2) has final drive of 4.4.

What are y'all trying to figure out here?
Old 10-19-2015, 10:33 AM   #76 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bense View Post
... What are y'all trying to figure out here?
The goal is simply reliable data on the transmissions of a variety of the fuel sipper Hondas. It could serve several purposes, such as transmission swap planning, identifying whether a specific transmission has the gearing advertised, understanding speedo/odo variations, which transmissions might bolt-up easily and which would need mods, and probably more... it's a record. Some of the info is available elsewhere online in pieces. Other info was not online when I made this. I also sought to confirm as many of the sources as possible in reputable places (so that as few errors as possible creep in, like the wikipedia typo you just mentioned).

As much as possible, I got the data from Honda or confirmed it with Honda. I searched widely for Honda FSMs and found a bunch.

I'm always open to corrections.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Last edited by California98Civic; 10-19-2015 at 11:41 AM..
Old 03-29-2016, 09:45 PM   #77 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Stupid question.

What type of size/spline count does the original honda insight 5mt transmission have?

20 splines ? What diameter?

Ditto the daihatsu charade.

I am thinking very strongly of dropping the transmission into my fathers miles zx40, dimensions are SCARILY similar in a few odd places but I have no desire to pull it all apart to test the halfshafts and input.

I wonder though if the transmission would survive tilted up a bit, too many things line up per eyeball guage in weird ways.

My thought is the daihatsu charade is a 18 spline and smaller (or maybe I am wrong), so the electric motor might be possible to love joy in there with a simple adapter to fit the smaller spline into the larger one, or maybe I am nuts.

Anyone have any ideas where to find exact specs of the Daihatsu and the Insight?

A couple adapters to make my fathers car shiftable with a deralect XMSN I will never use would be terrific.

Thanx
Ryan
Old 04-14-2016, 04:27 PM   #78 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
The goal is simply reliable data on the transmissions of a variety of the fuel sipper Hondas. It could serve several purposes, such as transmission swap planning, identifying whether a specific transmission has the gearing advertised, understanding speedo/odo variations, which transmissions might bolt-up easily and which would need mods, and probably more... it's a record. Some of the info is available elsewhere online in pieces. Other info was not online when I made this. I also sought to confirm as many of the sources as possible in reputable places (so that as few errors as possible creep in, like the wikipedia typo you just mentioned).

As much as possible, I got the data from Honda or confirmed it with Honda. I searched widely for Honda FSMs and found a bunch.

I'm always open to corrections.
But you're not going to cover any ground that either myself or Bone haven't already covered, discussed, debated, or entertained.

I'm all for progression. But the emphasis here is efficiency. There's nothing more inefficient than going to great lengths to discover what is already known.

So again, I ask, what exactly are y'all trying to figure out here?
Old 04-14-2016, 04:35 PM   #79 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
Stupid question.

What type of size/spline count does the original honda insight 5mt transmission have?

20 splines ? What diameter?

Ditto the daihatsu charade.

I am thinking very strongly of dropping the transmission into my fathers miles zx40, dimensions are SCARILY similar in a few odd places but I have no desire to pull it all apart to test the halfshafts and input.

I wonder though if the transmission would survive tilted up a bit, too many things line up per eyeball guage in weird ways.

My thought is the daihatsu charade is a 18 spline and smaller (or maybe I am wrong), so the electric motor might be possible to love joy in there with a simple adapter to fit the smaller spline into the larger one, or maybe I am nuts.

Anyone have any ideas where to find exact specs of the Daihatsu and the Insight?

A couple adapters to make my fathers car shiftable with a deralect XMSN I will never use would be terrific.

Thanx
Ryan
Aside from the obvious method of physically inspecting the parts while they're in front of you, the database that you'd want to start with is a company that specializes in manufacturing clutch discs.

Aside from that, the inner diameter of the input shaft bearing has to be larger than the outer (major) diameter of the mainshafts' spline.

If you're measuring the ID of a church disc as 24mm, and if the ID of the input shaft bearing (ISB) is 22mm, then it ain't gon' work.
Old 04-14-2016, 05:42 PM   #80 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bense View Post
...So again, I ask, what exactly are y'all trying to figure out here?
That question has already been answered and I have nothing to add to my former answer.

Reply  Post New Thread