Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > DIY / How-to
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2021, 11:09 PM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,585 Times in 7,069 Posts
cRiPpLe_rOoStEr -- Permalink #13.

Should be biking -- Everything you describe is needed for any electric installation, hybrid or pure EV. At Permalink #5 I pointed to the thread on installing the Toyota MGR. I don't think anyone has succeeded, at least with MPaulHolmes' Open Revolt controller. I wanted a pure EV install in my Beetle, but it is as you describe.

The easier option would be an GM E-assist altermotor installed on the MR2 ICE replacing the alternator and starter. ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/controller-mods-build-e-assist-altermotor. You can get by on 72-115V, much less expensive and dangerous.

But the ask is for four-wheel drive.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-25-2021, 03:13 AM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

2020 - '08 Chevy Tahoe H
Last 3: 18.4 mpg (US)

2021 - '08 Chevy Tahoe H
90 day: 17.08 mpg (US)

2022 - '08 chevy Tahoe LT
Last 3: 14.38 mpg (US)

2023 - '08 Chevy Tahoe
Last 3: 22.61 mpg (US)

2024 - '08 Chevy Tahoe
90 day: 22.35 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post

Should be biking -- Everything you describe is needed for any electric installation, hybrid or pure EV. At Permalink #5 I pointed to the thread on installing the Toyota MGR. I don't think anyone has succeeded, at least with MPaulHolmes' Open Revolt controller. I wanted a pure EV install in my Beetle, but it is as you describe.

The easier option would be an GM E-assist altermotor installed on the MR2 ICE replacing the alternator and starter. ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/controller-mods-build-e-assist-altermotor. You can get by on 72-115V, much less expensive and dangerous.

buy a RWD suv then convert it

the E assist is interesting wouldn't applying an external power screw with the ignition timing ?? also what if the transmission was not married to the engine speed... i.e cvt

i'm interested in the E assist.. so i could run it a cruising speed my has auto stop below 30mph... this presents an issue

Last edited by Tahoe_Hybrid; 06-25-2021 at 03:27 AM..
Old 06-25-2021, 04:57 AM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Aerospyder - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
Team Toyota
90 day: 41.98 mpg (US)

Simme - '83 IFA Simson Suhl S51
Motorcycle
90 day: 76.59 mpg (US)
Quote:

That wouldn't allow me to drive without the ICE engaged, wich would be significantly less efficient.
The main reason for hybridisation is to run purely electric whenever possible.
Also there isn't any space for a larger alternator in the engine bay of the MR2 Spyder.
The alternator is cramped between cylinder head, block, intake, firewall and part of the roof.
Old 06-25-2021, 10:10 AM   #24 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Avalon - '13 Toyota Avalon HV
90 day: 40.45 mpg (US)

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Another idea would be to go "all EV" but add a small ICE as a range extender.

The problem is finding a small water cooled engine that provides enough power. Of course if you drive down the Autobahn you'll need more power to keep your speed up. Maybe a modified outboard motor off a boat.

Another problem is small ICE to generator to motor efficiency will likely get you worse gas mileage.
Old 06-25-2021, 10:37 PM   #25 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Permalink #13
That's a different transmission, 2WD only and no dual-range.
The Following User Says Thank You to cRiPpLe_rOoStEr For This Useful Post:
freebeard (06-26-2021)
Old 06-26-2021, 10:25 AM   #26 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,112 Times in 981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Zachary View Post

The problem is finding a small water cooled engine that provides enough power. Of course if you drive down the Autobahn you'll need more power to keep your speed up.
I think I figured out that a proper voltage reconfigured genset of 6hp was enough wattage capacity to drive my Ranger at street speeds up to 40mph. A dual cylinder 25 hp genset should do enough watts to drive pretty much everything else modern
Old 06-26-2021, 01:47 PM   #27 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Toyota

Motorcycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
I think I figured out that a proper voltage reconfigured genset of 6hp was enough wattage capacity to drive my Ranger at street speeds up to 40mph. A dual cylinder 25 hp genset should do enough watts to drive pretty much everything else modern
25 hp would be sufficient for 135 km/h in case of my car, but IMHO it would be easier to just have a seperate electric drivetrain for shorter trips as well as using it in combination with the ICE for longer trips in what would essentialy be a very stretched out pulse&glide strategy.
Old 06-26-2021, 02:04 PM   #28 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
One idea I had once was to bolt a sprocket to each of the CV axle flanges coming out of the transaxle and to hook up two small electric motors, one to each chain drive to each sprocket. Is finding the room to do that that's the hard part. Also the motors would be always connected, which would not be ideal for long distance cruising but would double as a hybrid system if it has regenerative braking.
Old 06-26-2021, 02:30 PM   #29 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Toyota

Motorcycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Zachary View Post
One idea I had once was to bolt a sprocket to each of the CV axle flanges coming out of the transaxle and to hook up two small electric motors, one to each chain drive to each sprocket. Is finding the room to do that that's the hard part. Also the motors would be always connected, which would not be ideal for long distance cruising but would double as a hybrid system if it has regenerative braking.
Yea, that's usualy not a bad idea, but in my case the motor would be wedged between the engine and the exaust header with little airflow.
That's a little hot for an electric motor...
Old 06-26-2021, 02:34 PM   #30 (permalink)
High Altitude Hybrid

Prius - '06 Toyota Prius
Water cooled motor?