Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2022, 11:15 AM   #301 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,597 Times in 7,080 Posts
I thought of that but concluded it just moves the problem to the other end of the axles. And that would be less reversible. What's needed is two adapter plates about 4" in diameter.

If you split the batteries between the gas tank location, under the rear seat and the engine compartment the front-rear weight distribution could be preserved.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-03-2022, 08:40 AM   #302 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
I thought of that but concluded it just moves the problem to the other end of the axles. And that would be less reversible. What's needed is two adapter plates about 4" in diameter.

If you split the batteries between the gas tank location, under the rear seat and the engine compartment the front-rear weight distribution could be preserved.
fair point.

i really like the idea (maybe not for my wife's bug, but in general) of an electric axle to supplement a ICE driven one, or combining the ICE and electric outputs but specifics of the control are a mystery to me. I've done HVAC controls, but PLC is a different animal.

I'm thin on theory too - I mean, ultimately the controller needs to know that i'm trying to accelerate or decelerate and then battery status to know if it has the "room" to push or pull, but the specifics are a complete mystery

i assume that there needs to be safety overrides and the like as well - but in addition to some kind of manual switch i feel like that should be handled by the controller as well, but how? :shrugs: i need to make nice with a university research group or something
Old 08-03-2022, 10:11 AM   #303 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,120 Times in 989 Posts
You are erroneous adding complexity to the controller. Decision to add power is accomplished by throttle position, state of charge only determines whether or not you get the power you ask for, and most have high and low voltage limits only to prevent battery damage, temp limits to prevent cooking the electronics
Old 08-03-2022, 10:45 AM   #304 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
You are erroneous adding complexity to the controller. Decision to add power is accomplished by throttle position, state of charge only determines whether or not you get the power you ask for, and most have high and low voltage limits only to prevent battery damage, temp limits to prevent cooking the electronics
so i know little about this - forgive me if this is an obvious question:

how do you get the throttle position to the controller? could that be an output to the OBD?

Also - is my assumption on battery status needed for regen?

i guess you'd need a clutch to stop it from regenning so it might make more sense to just have it always regen and just dump the excess somehow?
Old 08-03-2022, 12:10 PM   #305 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,597 Times in 7,080 Posts
Quote:
I'm thin on theory too .... the specifics are a complete mystery
I recall some Youtube videos that explain this. I poked around a bit in the AC Controller thread for a link, but gave up when I found this: ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/paul-sabrinas-cheap-3-phase-inverter-ac-controller-10839-28.html#post444030

For Youtube directly theres a lot at www.youtube.com/results?search_query=FOC+3-phase+controller+texas+instruments

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
seuadr (08-04-2022)
Old 08-04-2022, 08:30 AM   #306 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,120 Times in 989 Posts
Most electric throttles are some variant of resistor: more or less resistance/voltage for a given position. Some go a bit further and return a digital value, but they would be rare and expensive. For a lithium based chemistry, you do need to monitor battery voltage on regen, overcharging and overdischarge tends to be fatal to the pack. FLA just boils the electrolyte, NIMH gets really hot

You have to semi power the motor to regen, aka excite, but plug braking dumps power into a resistance bank. Common on forklifts.

seuadr (08-04-2022)
Reply  Post New Thread