Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2013, 06:45 AM   #151 (permalink)
wdb
lurker's apprentice

PlainJane - '12 Toyota Tacoma Base 4WD Access Cab
90 day: 20.98 mpg (US)
This thread reminds me of the drivers on my long commute, best described by George Carlin: "Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? [...] that's the problem - the road is filled with idiots and maniacs!"

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-09-2013, 09:16 AM   #152 (permalink)
In the slow lane

Civic Type R - '08 Honda Civic
90 day: 38.19 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestclimb View Post
In AK there is a law that if you are driving below the PSL and 5 or more cars are following, you are required to use a pull out to let them pass. So your options are to pull out and let traffic flow, or speed up to the PSL to make the law no longer applicable.

I find that extraordinary. If you're driving 60 in a 65 maximum zone, you a required to move up to the maximum or pull over to let others through??? What if you rather speed up than pull over, inadvertently flick over 65 and get a ticket for speeding? FF's sake.

No offence, but I think some of you folk, or your legislators, need to work on what the word "maximum" means.

Old 08-09-2013, 09:35 AM   #153 (permalink)
This is the year

Bug - '06 Volkswagen Beetle TDI PKG1
90 day: 37.04 mpg (US)

F-350 - '11 Ford F-350 Lariat
90 day: 16.23 mpg (US)
I typically do 60 in a 65 with no problems because my commute has light traffic and finding slow moving truck is common.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:48 AM   #154 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Grey Goose (Retired) - '89 Geo Metro LSI 4 door hatch back
Last 3: 57.16 mpg (US)

Tweety - '91 Geo Metro Convertible -2 Door convertible LSI
Team Metro
90 day: 43.97 mpg (US)

Shadow - '02 Honda Shadow VT1100
90 day: 43.46 mpg (US)

Sonic - '07 Honda CBR1000RR
90 day: 42.69 mpg (US)

Filmore - '84 Volkswagen Vanagon
90 day: 20.9 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by songman View Post
I find that extraordinary. If you're driving 60 in a 65 maximum zone, you a required to move up to the maximum or pull over to let others through??? What if you rather speed up than pull over, inadvertently flick over 65 and get a ticket for speeding? FF's sake.

No offence, but I think some of you folk, or your legislators, need to work on what the word "maximum" means.
It does sound ridiculous the way you put it. I only know this is to be common courtesy on long climbing mountain passes when big long seim trucks end up being slow on a steep road with out a passing lane. Could be law but probably only applied to the case I described and not everywhere.

Oh and BTW, most of us do know what maximum means. Just a couple here that interpret it (or redefine it) to their own whims. There is clarity in the law. A lot of people habitually break this one and never get punished for it so they assume they are compliant. Maximum does mean maximum. No exceptions.

If you have a 15 gallon tank that clearly states maximum 15 Gallons there is no surprise to most what happens when you try to put 20 gallons into it.

Last edited by doviatt; 08-09-2013 at 11:20 AM..

The Following User Says Thank You to doviatt For This Useful Post:
sheepdog 44 (08-09-2013)
Old 08-09-2013, 10:53 AM   #155 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Boo Radley - '65 Ford F100
90 day: 13.28 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaber View Post
(a) No person shall drive upon a highway at such a slow speed as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, unless the reduced speed is necessary for safe operation, because of a grade, or in compliance with law.
No person shall bring a vehicle to a complete stop upon a highway so as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic unless the stop is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law.
I believe the "compliance with law" portion is saying that you cannot block traffic unless another law forces you to. It is not obligating you to a slow speed.

The Alabama quote doesn't seem to specify whether a passing lane is available. Legal literature never assumes.

If you are driving 55mph on a two lane road with 65mph PSL, and there are seven cars behind you, you should pull over and let them pass. If you are driving 55mph on a six lane (three each way) freeway with a 65mph PSL and there are seven cars behind you and moderate traffic in the left two lanes going 65mph, I would not consider that blocking traffic. That's people not looking ahead enough to fill a gap before they reach you.

When passing room is available, the seventh person's predicament has nothing to do with yours or with the second, third, or even sixth. It is the seventh person's own fault for not changing lanes to overtake the line. It is simple defensive driving taught (but seldom learned) in Driver's Education.

Last edited by Sven7; 08-09-2013 at 11:02 AM..

Old 08-09-2013, 11:26 AM   #156 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestclimb View Post
You should refrain from Ad hominim as it does not make your point any stronger.
"Any stronger?" You mean as if they have any strength to begin with?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

Old 08-09-2013, 11:55 AM   #157 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Some EM bicyclist told a story about a pickup driver yelling at them to get off the road, they are in the way of traffic and the bicyclist yelled back "I AM TRAFFIC". And the pickup driver shut the hell up, because he got owned.

I searched but didn't find it.

Old 08-09-2013, 12:30 PM   #158 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by songman View Post
Why would you want to drive 60 MPH in 65 PSL zone deliberately, so as to not allow others to pass you? Others have the legal right to drive 65 if they wish. Who do you think you are to impose your will upon others by preventing them from passing you?

That's the definition of being a one man, wannabe traffic cop, AKA a road hog.

It's a sensible law. It's based on common sense, common courtesy, defensive driving, and in the best interests of the safety of everyone.

Nobody likes a ROAD HOG. (Except maybe other road hogs...)

Old 08-09-2013, 01:56 PM   #159 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Lean and Mean - '98 Honda Civic HX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.69 mpg (US)
I think we have to take a step back in this thread and remember something important. None of us try to block traffic or do slow driving out of spite. I've been arguing that as long as we are within the legal limits, we can drive slow. That doesn't mean it's always appropriate to drive slow. There is a clear definition about what is legal, but I haven't been talking about is what is practical.

For example the other night I was driving home, doing some pulse and glide from 65-50 mph. I noticed a semi coming up behind me in the right lane, and a car was in the process of passing the semi in the left lane. At this point I was EOC'ing at about 60 mph. Now legally I could have kept EOC'ing down to 50 mph, causing the semi to slow down and wait to pass. But out of respect, I chose to stop EOC'ing and speed up to 65. This allowed enough time and space for the car to pass the semi before they reached me, allowing the semi to merge and pass without slowing down.

That kind of thing happens daily. I always try to stay out of the way. I do what I can, when I can.

The Following User Says Thank You to cbaber For This Useful Post:
user removed (08-09-2013)
Old 08-09-2013, 02:19 PM   #160 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
And yesterday morning I accelerated to keep ahead of a guy slowly passing me- because someone else was coming up quite fast, who was happy to see the gap last long enough to get by both of us. Then I dropped back down to 55 and the first guy slowly moved on my me at a little below 60.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

Closed Thread  Post New Thread