Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2013, 05:58 PM   #171 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by songman View Post
I thought we had road rage problems in the UK. Going by this thread, US drivers are in a state of permanent meltdown.

I understand the law says what it says. I was giving my opinion about it, ie. it's batty.

If the speed limit is 65, and I'm doing 60, the suggestion that I should accommodate others because my speed is too slow is absurd to me. If they're that desperate about a driver who's doing just 5MPH under the maximum speed, how about they overtake? When did that go out of style?

If I have to actually break the speed limit to accommodate a bunch of nutters coming up behind me, which puts me in breach of the law in itself, in which case I'm damned if I do and damned if I don't, then I give up. I would suggest some US drivers take anger management classes.
No one is angry, but your insinuation shows intolerance of a differing opinion.

It's the law in most states in the USA, to keep right except to pass. I'm hope you stay in England, because you wouldn't fit in here - and we don't need more road hogs on our roads.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-09-2013, 06:26 PM   #172 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
It is difficult for the thinking man to fit in here.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank Lee For This Useful Post:
Fat Charlie (08-09-2013), serialk11r (08-09-2013)
Old 08-09-2013, 06:50 PM   #173 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Woody - '90 Mercury Grand Marquis Wagon LS
Last 3: 19.57 mpg (US)

Brick - '99 Chevrolet K2500 Suburban LS
Last 3: 12.94 mpg (US)

M. C. - '01 Chevrolet Impala Base
90 day: 17.09 mpg (US)

R. J. - '05 Ford Explorer 4wd
90 day: 16 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjts1 View Post
The only insane thing is wasting not only your time but other people's time because you want to save a penny per mile.

No. You're required to move over to the right regardless of the speed limit.
(Slower traffic keep right image)
It doesn't say anything about speed limit. The speed limit and slower traffic keep right are separate laws. Just because the guy behind you is speeding doesn't give you the right to block traffic. You are both breaking the law. Leave the job of law enforcement to the police.
Perhaps we were arguing about things we actually already agree on. What is your argument? I thought you were saying "Let's all go 65 exactly regardless of which lane we're in." but it seems that perhaps you thought others were saying "Let's go under that speed limit regardless of the lane and possibly block traffic in the fast lane!" Well, I can't speak for others here but that's not what I meant; I was saying "I advocate going 55 in the right lane".

On another similar subject, A while back I wasn't aware that the left lane should be reserved for faster traffic so I commend you, Tjts for bringing that to my attention.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:37 PM   #174 (permalink)
In the slow lane

Civic Type R - '08 Honda Civic
90 day: 38.19 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by XYZ View Post
It's the law in most states in the USA, to keep right except to pass. I'm hope you stay in England, because you wouldn't fit in here - and we don't need more road hogs on our roads.

And you think any country doesn't have this law? Where did I make any reference to this? I've nowhere said anything about being in any lane other than the slow lane other than to pass. What lane do you think a hypermiler would naturally inhabit, anyway? You do realise this is the hypermiler sub-forum here?

What an odd thread this has become.

The Following User Says Thank You to songman For This Useful Post:
Frank Lee (08-09-2013)
Old 08-09-2013, 07:43 PM   #175 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
A trooper pulled one of my customers over. He was doing 7 over in the left lane in a 60 MPH zone. The trooper told him he was obstructing the flow of traffic going that slow and he needed to move over to the right lane.

I guess if he had been going 3 MPH faster the trooper would have given him a ticket.

About 10 times since I started driving I have had a cop with lights on come up behind me, only to pass me and pull the car, in front of me, over. That was 73 in a 55 when it last happened and everyone was passing me. I don't drive like that anymore, for at least 20 years.

The average speed of traffic coming south from DC, when it is not plugged up and crawling, is probably close to 75-80 MPH. Go 55 or less on that road and you might have a Peterbilt for a trunk lid ornament. Better yet, do it on a motorcycle and buy a nice life insurance policy for someone you want to give a nice gift.

80 is wreckless in Va. I had a Prius pass me at 90 when I was driving a V12 BMW. The BMW might have been getting better fuel mileage .

I have talked to several troopers about possibly more strict enforcement of the speed limits here which is a joke. Every one of them said the speeders were so prolific they usually look for those going over 80 which is wreckless, automatic $500 fine.

I would love to live out in the country where I could put a target out back and pop away at it with my Garand and drive 20 miles without seeing another car, but the wife won't live that far away from a Wal-Mart.

regards
Mech

Old 08-09-2013, 10:30 PM   #176 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
A trooper pulled one of my customers over. He was doing 7 over in the left lane in a 60 MPH zone. The trooper told him he was obstructing the flow of traffic going that slow and he needed to move over to the right lane.

I guess if he had been going 3 MPH faster the trooper would have given him a ticket.

About 10 times since I started driving I have had a cop with lights on come up behind me, only to pass me and pull the car, in front of me, over. That was 73 in a 55 when it last happened and everyone was passing me. I don't drive like that anymore, for at least 20 years.

The average speed of traffic coming south from DC, when it is not plugged up and crawling, is probably close to 75-80 MPH. Go 55 or less on that road and you might have a Peterbilt for a trunk lid ornament. Better yet, do it on a motorcycle and buy a nice life insurance policy for someone you want to give a nice gift.

80 is wreckless in Va. I had a Prius pass me at 90 when I was driving a V12 BMW. The BMW might have been getting better fuel mileage .

I have talked to several troopers about possibly more strict enforcement of the speed limits here which is a joke. Every one of them said the speeders were so prolific they usually look for those going over 80 which is wreckless, automatic $500 fine.

Mech
Thank you for posting this. It's the strongest case that could possibly be made for raising the speed limit.

Read my previous posts and informative links about posted speed limits and traffic enforcement in states like yours where virtually everyone is exceeding the limit. Your highway patrol cops aren't stupid. They understand road safety and why and how speed limits are set - as well as what constitutes a valid reason for raising the speed limit.

No sense in complaining to the state troopers. Go petition your legislators to lower the speed limit to 21 and raise the drinking age to 55. Then they can fine everyone and raise more revenue.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:58 PM   #177 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by songman View Post
And you think any country doesn't have this law? Where did I make any reference to this?
Where? Here's where. Here is your quote, repeated again:
Quote:
I find that extraordinary. If you're driving 60 in a 65 maximum zone, you a required to move up to the maximum or pull over to let others through???
Have you no memory of what you said? Yes, that's what "keep right except to pass" means - that you are required to move up to the maximum or pull over to let others through. Your convenient loss of memory of your initial statement is "extraordinary", indeed.

Quote:
No offence, but I think some of you folk, or your legislators, need to work on what the word "maximum" means.
I think you need to work on your memory skills and stop engaging in denial of what you said.

Quote:
I've nowhere said anything about being in any lane other than the slow lane other than to pass.
Before you continue your perpetual argument, read your actual statement "I find that extraordinary. If you're driving 60 in a 65 maximum zone, you a required to move up to the maximum or pull over to let others through???" over and over again until you realize what you actually said. Several pages of discussion followed about the law and all aspects concerning keeping right except to pass. You purposefully ignored all that discussion, contributed nothing of value to it, and are now trying to save face.

Defensiveness and denial become all the more embarrassing once a quotable statement is committed to print.

Old 08-10-2013, 04:27 AM   #178 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

AX - '95 Citröen AX

307 - '04 Peugeot 307 SW
Quote:
Have you no memory of what you said? Yes, that's what "keep right except to pass" means - that you are required to move up to the maximum or pull over to let others through. Your convenient loss of memory of your initial statement is "extraordinary", indeed.
He was talking about one-lane roads. Obviously, if 5 cars are following it's because there is only one lane.

I agree with him that having to pull-over OUT of a one-lane road to let others pass just because you're 5 mph below the PSL is ridiculous. How about the others overtaking?

On a 2-lane road, we should, of course, remain on the right one to let other pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by songman
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestclimb
In AK there is a law that if you are driving below the PSL and 5 or more cars are following, you are required to use a pull out to let them pass. So your options are to pull out and let traffic flow, or speed up to the PSL to make the law no longer applicable.
I find that extraordinary. If you're driving 60 in a 65 maximum zone, you a required to move up to the maximum or pull over to let others through??? What if you rather speed up than pull over, inadvertently flick over 65 and get a ticket for speeding? FF's sake.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:12 AM   #179 (permalink)
In the slow lane

Quote:

I think you need to work on your memory skills and stop engaging in denial of what you said.

And you need to stop being so bloody rude. Aren't these forums supposed to encourage good driving? The kind of fury on display in this thread puts a big question mark on all that.

When I said "pull over" I meant "pull over". This means move out of the slow lane and into whatever, if anything, is available - hard shoulder, layby, roadside diner etc. "Pull over" does not mean "keep right", as you will naturally be in the most right-hand lane for any driving other than overtaking. Right? That's the law of all civilised countries, right?

As such, to be required to thus "pull over" if I'm doing 60 in a 65 maximum speed limit is absurd by any sane definition. If you're so beat up at being held just 5MPH below the maximum speed limit, get over yourself and overtake when safe to do so. Better still, quit driving, because you're clearly not safe to so do.

I would have to check back to ensure that this was what the original poster intended when he said "pull over", or whatever it was he said. In the meantime, WTF is with the fury here? I get the keyboard warrior mentality on politics forums right enough, but hypermiling?

Old 08-10-2013, 09:31 AM   #180 (permalink)
In the slow lane

Here's the quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestclimb View Post
In AK there is a law that if you are driving below the PSL and 5 or more cars are following, you are required to use a pull out to let them pass. So your options are to pull out and let traffic flow, or speed up to the PSL to make the law no longer applicable. It does not mean that I don't have a right to cruse at some speed lower than the PSL it means that I have to be aware of my presence in the traffic flow. If others seem oblivious it does not negate my responsibility.

He's not saying you have to keep right, he's saying you have to either:

1) Move off the road or

2) Speed up to the speed of the approaching nednecks.

As such, poster XYZ clearly misunderstood what Bestclimber meant by "pull over", and what I meant in responding:

Quote:
Where? Here's where. Here is your quote, repeated again:

Quote:
I find that extraordinary. If you're driving 60 in a 65 maximum zone, you a required to move up to the maximum or pull over to let others through???

Happy now? "Pull over" means "pull off the road", not "keep right (slowest lane)". And since, again, you should keep right anyway and in all circumstances, this should speak for itself. I suspect that, as a speed freak who is unlikely to obey any road conventions, you don't respect this convention and hence your misunderstanding.

Closed Thread  Post New Thread