Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2009, 01:58 PM   #21 (permalink)
herp derp Apprentice

Saturn-sold - '99 saturn sc1
Team Saturn
90 day: 28.28 mpg (US)

Yukon - '03 GMC Yukon Denali
90 day: 13.74 mpg (US)
i think you'll have to do some a-b-a. mileage or tuft testing

because of the shape of your car, it might react differently than anyone might expect. your rear window is near vertical. might have a recirculating bubble in there that is kinda protected by the spoiler. or maybe the spoiler is nothing but a big sail... either way, an abnormal result good or bad wouldnt surprise me

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-23-2009, 09:59 PM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Exploder - '02 Ford Explorer xlt

Rolla - '02 Toyota Corolla ce
Team Toyota
90 day: 44.43 mpg (US)
Christ and Hermie,
I think I have an easy way to aid in solving this disagreement. First, was a spoiler standard equipment or was it an option? Or perhaps this spoiler was an after-market add-on? If every single stock MR2 has a spoiler, it is possible that there was an engineering reason for it. However, if this spoiler was an after-market job, then it is almost certainly to be more fashion statement than safety or handling requirement.

Still, I've come across a relative few situations where a spoiler produced a measurable improvement in safe handling at normal highway speeds.
Old 08-23-2009, 11:19 PM   #23 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
woodsmith -

How about the following :

1 - Take off the horizontal part.
2 - Use the sides as framework for a Kamm-Back.
3 - Spend lots of time and effort making it reversible (this is optional).

Benefits :
- Kamm Back may improve range
- Reversible in case you want to return to the OEM look

Problems :
- Won't make any money selling the spoiler
- Maybe a lot of effort that won't pay off (depends on your POV)

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 08-24-2009, 12:36 AM   #24 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Has everybody forgotten our spoiler guidelines?

It's pretty safe to say, spoilers increase drag unless they take the form of a surface "extension".

I suppose there could be the exception that proves the rule...

Me, I'd leave it until I see how fast my EV goes and/or decide if I like how it looks.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:13 PM   #25 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
wing

I vote lose it.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:41 PM   #26 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
Christ and Hermie,
I think I have an easy way to aid in solving this disagreement. First, was a spoiler standard equipment or was it an option? Or perhaps this spoiler was an after-market add-on? If every single stock MR2 has a spoiler, it is possible that there was an engineering reason for it. However, if this spoiler was an after-market job, then it is almost certainly to be more fashion statement than safety or handling requirement.

Still, I've come across a relative few situations where a spoiler produced a measurable improvement in safe handling at normal highway speeds.
This spoiler is an aftermarket one to replace the one that was on the car. I have yet to see an MR2 without a spoiler at all and that could just be down to the usual types of owner prefering a spoiler or wing of any description as well as the factory fit option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
woodsmith -

How about the following :

1 - Take off the horizontal part.
2 - Use the sides as framework for a Kamm-Back.
3 - Spend lots of time and effort making it reversible (this is optional).

Benefits :
- Kamm Back may improve range
- Reversible in case you want to return to the OEM look

Problems :
- Won't make any money selling the spoiler
- Maybe a lot of effort that won't pay off (depends on your POV)

CarloSW2
I like that idea but not sure about the amount of body work involved to get it to look and act right not how the insurance company and the IVA will treat it.

I would probably only go as far as blanking off redundent vents and holes and maybe covering over the rear wheel arches.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:08 PM   #27 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Is this even a stock spoiler? I don't think I've ever seen an MR2 with one of those.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:20 PM   #28 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
winkosmosis -

My picture shows the OEM spoiler. I think the sides are OEM, and they just swapped out the horizontal part. If you look at the rear picture, I think you can see that it looks a little "incongruous" in the way it curves.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 08-27-2009, 08:34 PM   #29 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

MR2 - '93 Toyota MR2 Turbo
90 day: 22.92 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to Blue Bomber
A fellow MR2 owner here. The wing is definitely not stock on your car, woodsmith, but the sides are. From what I've experienced, if you don't want to remove the wing because of the holes, but don't want to keep your current spoiler for drag reasons, find a stock one. The wind barely hits it (rain drops and especially snow sit on mine even at 60mph). Just for reference, but there were MR2s without spoilers available, as there are used OEM trunk lids out there without holes in them.

As far as the rest of the car, there are 2 major aerodynamic issues:

1: The rear, especially where the back window and engine lid are. There is very little flow up through the vents in the lid, so the air from above just dips in and slowly swirls around in that area (causing annoying water spots after it rains, since the water just sits there). That's why the air never really reaches the spoiler in the intended fashion. Add a vented lexan panel over that area (add venturi tabs at the end of the roof for bonus points!), and you'll probably see enough airflow at the spoiler to start thinking about removing the spoiler.

2. The front end. Since it's a mid engine car, the air basically flows through the radiator and slams against the front trunk firewall, then gets shoved almost straight downward, instead of flowing through the engine bay to the back. That, coupled with overall poor stock underbody aerodynamics, can actually create lift at high speeds from all the turbulence. Many people have complained about that throughout the years, a feeling of the front feeling floaty and disconnected on the freeway. The car can definitely benefit from a front and rear end underpanel to smooth things out. There are also what are known in the MR2 community as "Speed Flaps". They were available on MR2s in Japan, but never made it over here. They're the deflectors that you see under many cars today in front of the front wheels. They significantly reduce front end lift at high speeds. You can find replicas at Brady Motorsports.

As far as the radiator, if you're looking to sink some cash into this, you can tilt the radiator forward, cut a hole in the hood (or get a vented aftermarket hood), and vent the passing air out over the hood. That's the most aerodynamic way, and will significantly improve the front end's faults. A company called Border even sells a conversion kit.

Beyond those two issues, there really aren't any other unique problems as far as aerodynamics. The usual mods shown on this site will work, though they won't make your car look any prettier. Check out MR2OC.com, the biggest MR2 site out there. You need to register first to view anything, but there's a wealth of information on anything MR2 related you need.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:51 AM   #30 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The radiator conversion is pretty awesome. I'm surprised enough people do that aeromod that there's a kit.

Reply  Post New Thread