Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2012, 11:46 AM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

hX-TREME!!! - '97 Honda Civic HX
90 day: 54.75 mpg (US)

450sX-TREME!!! - '95 Nissan V8 240sx

chodercycle - '06 kawasaki ninja zx6r 636
Hey man, incase if you didnt know the 96-98 civics are obdII-a and the 99-00's are obdII-b. the plugs are very different on the ecu's. They make jumper harnesses for them but those are like 150 bucks at least I think. Just a heads up. And let me know What gauge you decide to go with! I need something too and I want to see what HX people are doing.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-23-2012, 02:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
also races Sportbikes!!!

Mo' Mon-nay! - '00 Honda Civic HX
90 day: 52.26 mpg (US)

Carbon Silver - '06 Honda Insight
90 day: 82.2 mpg (US)
thanx for the heads up; looks like i need a 99-00 49state ecu in that case... not easy to find it seems! Ebay is FULL of 96-98 year ecus!

I went with the UltraGauge, and MPGuino. Guino to let me know my actual MPG, and Ultra to let me know TPS, engine load, O2 sensor reading, so that i can better tell when i'm in lean burn mode. i'm still very much toying around with it. i will report more once i get better at it.

2006 Honda Insight
MIMA, FAS, no passenger sideview mirror, race style drivers mirror, front and rear underbody aero, temporary front air dam
Old 09-23-2012, 03:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Well if you find it impossible to find the 99-00 you can get on of these bad boys for 135 bucks and a 96-98 will plug right in. I found this with a super quick search. There may be cheaper ones.

JHPUSA ECU Jumper Harness OBD2b to OBD2a - ECU Jumper Harness - JHPUSA

So how much did your ultra gauge and mpgino cost? Are you happy with it? Was it easy to set up?
Old 09-23-2012, 04:09 PM   #14 (permalink)
also races Sportbikes!!!

Ultra was about 80 shipped, MPGuino was 50 shipped. the Ultra plugs right into your OBDII port, and gives you useful data from the get-go. the MPGuino install is a lot more intensive, you gotta tap and run wires, and make some kinda box for the MPGuino unit, and make some kinda mounting thing for it too. both gauges need to be calibrated to function properly. thankfully someone on this forum did a thread on the MPGuino, so i stole their calibration data, so that was easy. the UltraGauge i'm gonna have to run thru a few tanks before its calibrated.

i'm very happy with both gauges. the MPGuino gives PERFECT instant MPG reading, and the Ultra tells me all sorts of things going on with the motor. driving the car is more like operating an engine at peak efficiency, more than it is driving the car!

thanx for the link, but i'm not gonna plunk down 135+ for an adapter. i'll just wait around until the proper ECU pops up on Ebay

2006 Honda Insight
MIMA, FAS, no passenger sideview mirror, race style drivers mirror, front and rear underbody aero, temporary front air dam
Old 09-24-2012, 11:10 AM   #15 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 60.16 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,957 Times in 3,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyCorky View Post
i'm very happy with both gauges. the MPGuino gives PERFECT instant MPG reading, and the Ultra tells me all sorts of things going on with the motor.
Glad you took that route. Nice combination!

Quote:
driving the car is more like operating an engine at peak efficiency, more than it is driving the car!
Yeah, lean burn is like that. It's all about fine tuning the throttle to stay in that fairly narrow window. The amazing fuel economy is a nice reward though!
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 09-24-2012, 04:17 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Lol I would just wait for the propped one too.

Soo, if you had to pick one, which would you go with? Ultra gauge or mpgino? Or do they work in tandem? And have you mastered lean burn yet?
Old 09-24-2012, 06:02 PM   #17 (permalink)
also races Sportbikes!!!

If i could pick only one, i'd go with the Ultra, as it gives a MPG reading just like the MPGuino (tho the Ultra is no where near as accurate, usually about 10mpg off). and the Ultra is super easy to setup and install, and it tells you a lot more than just instant MPG. for me, having a car that offers lean burn, having a super accurate instant MPG gauge is of very high importance, so I wanted to get the MPGuino as well.

the CA model civic HX is hard to get into lean burn mode, thats why i've been searching for a 49state ECU to swap in, aparently they are easier to get it into lean burn mode, and easier to stay there once you've achieved it. at this point i totally suck at getting the car in lean burn, i'm not real sure what i should be doing to make it happen, or what my gauges read when it does happen. I do know that you gotta apply very little throttle for a few seconds (like 15% at the TPS), then it goes into lean burn, at which point you can apply more throttle (as much as 30% at the TPS so i've heard) and still stay in lean burn mode. I'm still ver much a noobie at this, so I'll post up more once I know more - anyone else, feel free to chime in.... especially if you own a 49state civic HX !

2006 Honda Insight
Old 09-24-2012, 06:42 PM   #18 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
the CA model civic HX is hard to get into lean burn mode, thats why i've been searching for a 49state ECU to swap in, aparently they are easier to get it into lean burn mode, and easier to stay there once you've achieved it.
Actually, LB is not legal in Cali due to emissions regs against the increased NOX levels. Cali HXs don't go into LB. So you are smart to desire the 49 state HX.

Quote:
as well, i've been told the 49state ECU for the HX is better than the CA spec. aparently the CA spec is called the P2N-L32. anyone know what the 49state ECU is called? i've heard it might be P2N-A32; but i'm not sure, and i'd like confirmation before i go buy one. also, will a 1996-1997 ECU work on my 2000 car?
My research when I was interested in this question suggested P2N-A22 was the 49-state MT HX code for the 1996-2000 model. I hope that helps.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Last edited by California98Civic; 09-24-2012 at 06:50 PM.. Reason: More information
Old 09-24-2012, 08:00 PM   #19 (permalink)
also races Sportbikes!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
Actually, LB is not legal in Cali due to emissions regs against the increased NOX levels. Cali HXs don't go into LB. So you are smart to desire the 49 state HX.
W H A T !?
sounds to me like getting a 49 state ECU just became a much bigger priority

Quote:
My research when I was interested in this question suggested P2N-A22 was the 49-state MT HX code for the 1996-2000 model. I hope that helps.
i've been told P2N-A33 (Honda said), and P2N-A32 (internet said). I cant find either on Ebay..

2006 Honda Insight
Old 09-24-2012, 08:32 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Do you know if this applies to the 7th Gen HX as well? I can feel my '01 HX stumble/surge as the rear O2 sensor drops to 0.000 and back, which I understand to be indicators of lean burn. The original owner of my car was in California, so I believe mine is a California car with Lean Burn. It even has a sticker on the window indicating ULEV - 50-state/CARB legal.

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods
Reply  Post New Thread