Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Instrumentation > OpenGauge / MPGuino FE computer
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2010, 06:43 PM   #561 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlorkist View Post
This is the exact same problem that i see too, not very surprising, since it is basically the same car.
Even the RPMs stay fixed at 1040 regardless of actual revolutions.
I think i should output some debugging stuff on a soft-uart.
Yes, it seems to be same VW MK4

Both problems mentioned before with reading DTC exist - changing source code - helps a little bit, but DTC decoding is wrong and i get misterious numbers instead of 16804

I also implemented clearing DTC codes, it works MIL is turned off, but same problem with incorect PID's reading shows up

I have some ideas for improving - i will test them soon.
First would be - after DTC reading or clearing - read all data that ECU sends, until any transmission stops.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-13-2010, 07:58 AM   #562 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by eimix View Post
Does anybody has newer version? why this such intresting project is not evolving anymore?
Um, it is not the product of evolution, but of intelligent design. But the designer obviously changed his mind about this being free software and now only sells the updated versions as a commercial product (CAN-version actually- http://www.obduino.ca ).

I can see a legal problem with that, since this is not the sole work of "Magister", portions of the code are written by "dcb" and others for example. And their contributions are licensed under GPL, so Magister can't just take their code and sell it as part of a closed source product. But then again he is mentioned as the main coder and he can choose any license he wants to. It is just too sad, this is the only open source embedded obd2 project i know of, someon should take it up and finish it.

It really is weird. If Magister (Frédéric) did reimplement their contributions, then why are not the others making any more commits to the trunk ?

Anyone care to comment? dcb?
The Following User Says Thank You to schlorkist For This Useful Post:
eimix (08-13-2010)
Old 08-13-2010, 08:29 AM   #563 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

It hardly could be profitable if it is "kit" or smth like MPGuino or OBDuino, these project are created as "low price as possible" from beginning
ScanGauge (aka OverPricedGauge) is profit project, but not interesting for DIY'ers.

Probably we will also loose interest in this project after some time
Hopefully I will have patience to make fully functional "FuelMeter" in my car
Old 08-13-2010, 12:21 PM   #564 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I am building the ELM interface, and ordered all the parts required for all three types of communications protocol. I have not laid out the circuit board yet, but I have a question for anyone with good understanding of electronics.

The diagram calls for two .1uf 16v capacitors. The only ones I could find were tiny surface mount ones. They are about 1mm in length. I only ordered two, but now I run the risk of loading one or more only because they are so very very small... 1mm by 1/3mm is going to be a huge pain manipulate and solder. I think a bit of cello tape will help in manipulation... In the same order I ordered two through the hole capacitors (.1uf 25v) and they are a size that offers no threat of loss due to wind.

Can I use the .1uf 25v instead of .1uf 16v without damaging anything? Or should I stick to the specs.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:03 PM   #565 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggy View Post
Can I use the .1uf 25v instead of .1uf 16v without damaging anything? Or should I stick to the specs.
Sure, 25v is more than 16v, so it will be even more robust.

Regarding SMD soldering - no problem, just use serious tweezers and rest your palm on the workbench to reduce shake. Handsoldering even 0402 capacitors is a joy if you have fine tweezers and an appropriately sized soldering tip.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:48 PM   #566 (permalink)
OBDuino coder

Titine - '13 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
Code in the CAN version is all by me, it has been all rewritten, there is no code by Dave or others, don't worry.
As the code is stable I will update some code of the free version soon, stay tuned.
eimix (08-15-2010), m3ph (08-18-2010), schlorkist (08-15-2010)
Old 08-15-2010, 03:48 PM   #567 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

DTC read&clear in ISO9141

I have fixed (rebuild) DTC read in ISO9141- it seems that part of code never worked before (to read DTC need to press all three buttons)

+ i added DTC clear function (function added in configuration menu, or is any better place to add new functions like this?)

Now tested and working

Working on:
ISO reinit (its not working as it should)
external temp sensor
LPG tank level sensor reading

Looking how to upload my fix's to google trunk.
P.S. because of forum limitation I cannot send any PM because i have less then 10posts - it sounds like "if you do not spam - u cant send URL, images and PM"

Last edited by eimix; 08-15-2010 at 04:00 PM..
Old 08-18-2010, 04:16 PM   #568 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Miata - '05 Mazda MX-5

Gixxer - '07 Suzuki GSX-R 750
not sensing car start

Hello,

I built myself an obduino and everything exept one thing seems to work fine.

The thing is, that when I turn off the ignition in my car, the obduino goes to sleep (alarm screen). When I start my car up again, the alarm screen stays and no info is displayed. It seems that the obduino for some reason, can not sense when the car is started.

What could the probable causes for this be?

My car is a 2005 Mazda MX5 (Miata). I'm using ISO 9141 standard and useECUstate, do_ISO_Reinit and carAlarmScreen have been defined (tried all the other ways too, but nothing worked, same problem).

Any help would be appreciated.

One more question: Are the Signal Ground and Chassis Ground pins on the OBD2 supposed to be connected together? The connector I bought had those pins soldered together inside. Could this be my problem?
Old 08-18-2010, 06:43 PM   #569 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Miata - '05 Mazda MX-5

Gixxer - '07 Suzuki GSX-R 750
obd2 connector

Managed to figure out that the problem isn't the connector, resoldered it so the grounds aren't soldered together but no change.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:27 AM   #570 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3ph View Post
The thing is, that when I turn off the ignition in my car, the obduino goes to sleep (alarm screen). When I start my car up again, the alarm screen stays and no info is displayed. It seems that the obduino for some reason, can not sense when the car is started.
4th and 5th pins in OBD2 are sometimes soldered together in car side connector so this shouldn't be a problem in this case.

iso_init() is very sensitive to timing issues:

Code:

#ifdef carAlarmScreen
// ECU is off so print ready screen instead of PIDS while we wait for ECU action
displayAlarmScreen();
#else
// for some reason the display on LCD
for(byte current_PID=0; current_PID<LCD_PID_count; current_PID++)
display(current_PID, params.screen[active_screen].PID[current_PID]);
#endif

#ifdef do_ISO_Reinit
#ifndef carAlarmScreen
#error ISO reinit will not function when not displaying the car alarm screen (#define carAlarmScreen)
#endif
iso_init();
#endif
U should try to disable call to "displayAlarmScreen();" becouse init_iso() is handled at same time.

On my car it is not a problem, but i noticed that if i try to display more debug info on LCD during reinit process - it does not reinit any more.

if this works and you still want that "securyty message" u should allow call to displayAlarmScreen(); only then ISO_InitStep is 0.
smth like:
Code:
  if (ISO_InitStep == 0)
    displayAlarmScreen();
One more thing to try could be to increase time delay before starting init bit-bang:

initTime = currentTime + 3000;

to change it to:

initTime = currentTime + 5000;

or more then 5s.

The Following User Says Thank You to eimix For This Useful Post:
m3ph (08-19-2010)
Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
obd2