Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Instrumentation > OpenGauge / MPGuino FE computer
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2012, 11:33 PM   #381 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyBeanDriver View Post
Shipping out tomorrow, thanks!

Just got it today. Fast delivery and professionally packed looks great too. I assume I just need to connect the 3 wires, and its ready to go after enclosing it and finding a spot to put it? I have a 94 chevy diesel and thinking of putting one of these on it as well. will these plug up on a diesel as well?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-17-2012, 11:38 PM   #382 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockj2000 View Post
Just got it today. Fast delivery and professionally packed looks great too. I assume I just need to connect the 3 wires, and its ready to go after enclosing it and finding a spot to put it? I have a 94 chevy diesel and thinking of putting one of these on it as well. will these plug up on a diesel as well?
Wow that was fast.

Normally you'd hook up 4 wires
+12V hot all the time
Ground
VSS (vehicle speed sensor)
INJ (injector signal)

Don't know what it would be for a diesel as most have mechanical injectors (?) (sorry, I don't know for sure)
- averaging 51.7 MPG, 56.9MPG best tank.
- self built MPGuino
- http://www.dschmidt.com/MPGuinoJBD.html
The Following User Says Thank You to JellyBeanDriver For This Useful Post:
shockj2000 (05-17-2012)
Old 05-17-2012, 11:45 PM   #383 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Wow that was fast.

Normally you'd hook up 4 wires
+12V hot all the time
Ground
VSS (vehicle speed sensor)
INJ (injector signal)

Don't know what it would be for a diesel as most have mechanical injectors (?) (sorry, I don't know for sure)
sorry 4 wires lol.. awesome . Yea excuse me for being dingy but the setup is different i am unsure how to read off the injectors of a diesel. thanks again
Old 05-21-2012, 04:13 PM   #384 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

LEAF - '11 Nissan LEAF
OK, so after a long bit of a break, Maker Faire this past weekend got me inspired to start building things again...

I'm wondering where this thread left off... seems there's been a bit of activity since I left. JellyBeanDriver, it looks like you've taken the reigns a bit in providing the preassembled kits, or are they preassembled?... but yet are shipping outdated code (in my opinion), based on the latest released version. I've made a *huge* number of usability improvements in my latest posted version (don't have the thread at the moment, but it should be on the 1st or 2nd page), better font, an integrated clock and miles-remaining view, etc. Seems no changes have been made in the past year or so to the official code, so it's about time to just "stick a fork in it" and move on elsewhere, if that's where it's been left.

I was really considering getting a 3D printer like a RepRap (Printrbot, to be exact) and "printing" a case/mount for this thing to get it on par with the ScanGauge. My MPGuino -- nay, screw that, I tried talking about it at Maker Faire and had such a hard time pronouncing it -- "OpenGauge", still sits with a piece of duct tape attached to my car's dash after over a year running my upgraded firmware. I never need to change screens because all the critical information is displayed on the "Instant" display - instant MPG, instant MPH, instant GPH, and current MPG. Tab over once to show current MPG/MPH/Gallons/Distance, one more time to show "Tank" stats.

That said, I was considering picking up where the pre-assembled kits left off, but it seems JellyBeanDriver picked that up already. Is there any hole left to fill here? I really like the screw-down wiring instead of the woogy 4-pin connector I have on mine - nice touch.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:13 AM   #385 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconFour View Post
JellyBeanDriver, it looks like you've taken the reigns a bit in providing the preassembled kits, or are they preassembled?
preassembled and tested, see here

Quote:
... but yet are shipping outdated code (in my opinion), based on the latest released version.
Yes, based on the latest released version. Didn't know about your work but I still would have stuck to the released version as that is what the Wiki and a lot of online threads support.

Quote:
That said, I was considering picking up where the pre-assembled kits left off, but it seems JellyBeanDriver picked that up already. Is there any hole left to fill here?
I socket the ATMega chip and also have the ICSP header on the board. A pair of analog inputs are brought out too if you wanted to stuff the parts. No reason someone cannot reprogram their unit with your code unless you changed the hardware from DCB's 'reference' design.
- averaging 51.7 MPG, 56.9MPG best tank.
- self built MPGuino
- http://www.dschmidt.com/MPGuinoJBD.html
Old 05-22-2012, 12:57 AM   #386 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

92Integra - '92 Acura Integra LS
Team Honda
90 day: 44.18 mpg (US)
Just wanted to add that I purchased an MPGuino from JellyBeanDriver a few weeks back. Good service and fast shipping, for a great price. I always like to review products and purchases, and wanted to share the good experience I had doing business with him.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:37 PM   #387 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

LEAF - '11 Nissan LEAF
Quote:
preassembled and tested, see here
Very cool. Well, maybe when I get a RepRap built, maybe I can sell cases for it, or maybe we can work together on selling a full "enclosed" prebuilt set!

Quote:
Yes, based on the latest released version. Didn't know about your work but I still would have stuck to the released version as that is what the Wiki and a lot of online threads support.
I was working on a larger redesign - in fact, a near-full rewrite to be precise - but none of the hardware was changed at all. In fact, the OpenGauge on my dash is the same one shipped to me by dcb over a year ago when I first got it - socketed chip, 20MHz clock and all. I just changed out the LCD for a white-on-blue LCD that turned out to be a bit of a poor design choice (hard to read in daylight). But none of the hardware was changed - just software. I developed it using my 16MHz Arduino Duemilanove and BoArduino boards, so it also has the commented-out "switches" for the different frequencies as well. The development thread for that is here:
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ods-14752.html

edit: The latest (fully assembled) version I'm still running today was posted here:
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post209327
Old 05-23-2012, 01:29 AM   #388 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

[QUOTE=FalconFour;308524]Very cool. Well, maybe when I get a RepRap built, maybe I can sell cases for it, or maybe we can work together on selling a full "enclosed" prebuilt set!

i am looking for a case for mine. having trouble finding something small enuff to enclose it and dont want to fart around with making one unless i have to. what do u have to offer and whats the price
Old 05-23-2012, 01:48 AM   #389 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Economy Saturn - '02 Saturn L200
On your 6.5 the computer only controls the amount of fuel the mechanical pump sends to the nozzles. There is no " injector pulse" to hook on to.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:04 AM   #390 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

i wish these stupid LCDs (20x4, 16x2) didn't waste 2x-3x the viewable space with the oversized circuit board. It's like these things were made in 1980. It's making me consider a TFT, which is overkill, but if i'm occupying that much space, it might as well be 90% viewable instead of 25%.

Reply  Post New Thread