Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2015, 11:40 AM   #91 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Grey Goose - '09 Honda Fit Sport
Team Honda
90 day: 39.44 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-hack View Post
Worth what? What is your in-depth analysis of the costs to individuals and to society as a whole of forcing people to be dependent on a central control for mobility, both short and long term.

I want you to demonstrate that you have a brain here. How does such requirements raise the bar on newcomers to the automotive industry, how will it affect people in emergency situations? i.e. Will people lose all navigational skills? Will more people be squeezed out of car ownership (and jobs), will the focus on infrastructure shift towards just those who can afford a self driving car? And a billion other potential side effects.

Show me you can really think this through before you make value judgements.

Maybe the road ragers are angry because the fornicators are clogging up the roads...

If you watched the video, you would see near the end that these cars coexist with other cars. They are an option, not mandatory. It would eliminate road rage incidents for those in these cars, not all cars. But a reduction is a good thing. And people with these cars wouldn't have to drive drunk.

Initially the technology to make these cars self driving would be more expensive. But the cars themselves should be much cheaper. They are smaller and lighter. Why should I drive a family sedan when it's just me commuting to work? Pod-like cars make a lot more sense for a huge amount of commuters out there. Of course an additional car may be necessary as a family car, which is no different than what I do now except my car can fit more people than necessary for my commute.

Just because people's opinions on this differ doesn't mean anyone is less intelligent.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

You've kicked it out before the party even started. No entertaining going on there.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-18-2015, 12:31 PM   #92 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

awesomer - '04 Toyota prius
If you watch the reports, where google says one thing and the people involved say another...

Hey, I would like the option of a self driving car, no problem there. The problem is the verbiage choices clearly indicate this is intended to be mandatory as soon as possible, raising prices, cutting out competition, destroying autonomy, forcing liability on some with no recourse, regecting accountability for others.

I wouldn't have a problem with mandatory even, if I thought it was well considered, but it isn't. And just because everyone thinks the remaining problems are just "software problems", doesn't mean they are surmountable. And if you knew anything about software development...

One thing is certain though, "mandatory" is a sms push away. Regardless how craptastic the thing or the costs (all of them) are. Lets not play the "Not all corporations/robots/governing bodies are like that" card...

In the meantime, driving is certainly no hardship.

Last edited by P-hack; 05-18-2015 at 12:38 PM..
Old 05-18-2015, 12:58 PM   #93 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Team Honda
Well, of course google wants everyone to drive their car. But it's a free market with competition. Just like the google search engine. If you don't like the google search engine, don't use it. If you don't like BMW and think they're too expensive, don't buy one. If you don't like the autonomous automobile or think it's too expensive, don't get one.

With the variety of vehicles available, a mandate for one particular type of vehicle is currently highly unlikely. These types of cars are only currently tailored to the commuter market. They would have to fill all the other market needs as well before requiring people to use them. Even then, they have to take motorcycles and older cars/classic cars into consideration.
Old 05-18-2015, 01:11 PM   #94 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

again, you are saying you want to fix "road rage" by removing any free will. And making it mandatory is a push of a button at central control.

You are going to have to seriously consider that aspect of it. "assurances" are not intelligent thinking. Stuff slipped in under the guise of "safety" often makes its way into cars, and that is what you are parroting.
Old 05-18-2015, 01:44 PM   #95 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Just think how much better you could shoot if you didn't have to drive at the same time.
The Following User Says Thank You to roosterk0031 For This Useful Post:
MobilOne (05-25-2015)
Old 05-18-2015, 01:50 PM   #96 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFoot View Post
It would eliminate road rage incidents for those in these cars...
Why do you think that? Aren't people capable of getting just as angry (justifiably, IMHO) when a machine does something stupid that threatens them, as when a human does it?

Quote:
And people with these cars wouldn't have to drive drunk.
No one HAS to drive drunk. It's a choice.

Quote:
Why should I drive a family sedan when it's just me commuting to work? Pod-like cars make a lot more sense for a huge amount of commuters out there.
Sure, but the same holds true of cars without self-driving features today, and people still commute in 4-door sedans, SUVs, jacked-up pickups, and so on.

Comes to that, the real solution to commuting problems is not more efficient cars & highways, it's realizing that physical presence is not necessary for many jobs.

Last edited by jamesqf; 05-18-2015 at 06:42 PM..
Old 05-18-2015, 02:11 PM   #97 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Team Honda
"Why do you think that? Aren't people capable of getting just as angry (justifiably, IMHO) when a machine does something stupid that threatens them, as when a human does it?"

IMO, the people that are road raging are the ones that are driving stupidly. They are the ones that are the threat. If they see proper driving as a threat, they have serious issues. If they back into a pole they can get out and yell at the pole all they want. It will still be their fault. The road rager that blames everyone else for their ****ty driving will be found at fault vs the car that is following the rules of the road. But less people actually driving would at least take some of those potential road ragers out of the equation. And improved traffic flow should also reduce people's frustrations and road rage.

[quote]And people with these cars wouldn't have to drive drunk.
"No one HAS to drive drunk. It's a choice."

Yet, people still choose to drive drunk. Clearly human judgement is not always at it's best.

Last edited by BlueFoot; 05-18-2015 at 02:30 PM..
Old 05-18-2015, 03:48 PM   #98 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I haven't seen "proper driving" yet from a machine. Seems like they stop or don't stop for the wrong reasons, and randomly drive off the road.

But there it is anyway, you think humans are dumber than insect level intelligence.

And it never will be "human level", it will be completely alien to us. Rushed to market.
Old 05-18-2015, 03:55 PM   #99 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,391 Times in 3,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-hack View Post
I haven't seen "proper driving" yet from a machine.
And you never will as long as your head is firmly planted in the sand. Did you watch any part of the video I linked?

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 05-18-2015, 04:04 PM   #100 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

have you addressed one single concern yet? Nope. Not my head in the sand here.

Reply  Post New Thread