Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2015, 04:22 PM   #101 (permalink)
PSmodder lurker

Auto, semi-auto or 'manual' vehicles; DOT, NHTSA and FCC want you connected

With the new autonomous cars to coexist with every other vehicle, the Department of Transportation and NHTSA wants all of our vehicles to 'talk with each other'. New legislation are being planned to make (V2V) vehicle-to-vehicle
communication mandatory in the new class of vehicles and future requirements for interconnectivity with every vehicle on the road. The FCC is testing to ensure the wireless 5.9 GHz spectrum set aside for this connected universe.
The constant communication is not only for on-road dynamics, accident avoidance and navigation but also to be part of a larger constellation to control the most efficient traffic flow dynamics.

...talking about a juicy hack target and libertarians, clutch your pearls.

A Dialogue with Industry, a Conversation between Cars | Department of Transportation

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-18-2015, 04:27 PM   #102 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Just because our good libertarian friend P-Hack has not seen proper driving in an automated vehicle does not mean it is not technically feasible. The economic benefits may be demonstrated. The fundamental question is whether people will adopt it as an improvement. Many of us enjoy driving and modifying our vehicles. It is an expression of our self image. In an high density urban environment such a system may be desirable. I have been in bumper to bumper traffic going 70 mph and wished I was somewhere else. In some urban centers there is just not enough room for a conventional road car. These cars may only be self service taxi cabs used in limited areas. A different system of vehicle communication would be useful for the interstate system.

In all situations I am ultimately responsible for the technological and social choices I make. Do people always make good choices? No. Are there consequences to our choices? Most certainly. Choose well.
Old 05-18-2015, 04:52 PM   #103 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

awesomer - '04 Toyota prius
I don't know if "libertarian" is entirely accurate, though I do like this quote:
"“Automated car companies can hire traffic cops to clean cars once they lose their jobs. Win-win!”

I think it is the lack of comprehension about the potential consequenses, a rush to "party" or cash in, at the expense of personal autonomy. The BS levels are wader grade as well. It is truely idiotic to jump into such a thing and act like the consequences were "unintended", the consequences will be pure negligence.
Old 05-18-2015, 05:26 PM   #104 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I should add, I've been doing computers since day one, even spent some time on the DARPA Grand Challenge, and various AI projects. Been inside large corporations and worked for governing bodies too. I KNOW red flags and bullcrap when I see it.

I'm not worried about the unknown, I'm worried about the known.
Old 05-18-2015, 05:58 PM   #105 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,176 Times in 806 Posts
Autonomous cars will destroy millions of jobs and reshape the US economy by 2025 – Quartz
Old 05-18-2015, 06:13 PM   #106 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

No offense intended. Too often desire for social control and marketing hype give us the emperor's new clothes scenario. We have seen with gun control or health care there is no substitute for thorough testing and honest evaluations. There is a reason we do reliability calculations and systems analysis. Sooner or later everything wears out and breaks down. The question becomes whether we can make the system robust enough to warrant the expense or risk.
Old 05-18-2015, 06:46 PM   #107 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFoot View Post
IMO, the people that are road raging are the ones that are driving stupidly. They are the ones that are the threat.
I don't agree at all. From what I see, most so-called "road rage" incidents are from people who've finally been driven to the breaking point by the amount of stupid driving on the part of others.
Old 05-18-2015, 07:04 PM   #108 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
When cars "talk-to-each other" el gooberment (NSA, et.al. ) "listens" and "tracks" where you go...in realtime.

Sorry, NOT my idea of "transparency" nor "freedom of speech & movement."

And, whatcha wanna bet "disabling" of V2V will be a deemed a Federal crime & illegal!
Old 05-18-2015, 07:27 PM   #109 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Grey Goose - '09 Honda Fit Sport
Team Honda
90 day: 39.44 mpg (US)
Here's a specific incident where the road rager (in camaro) was at fault. The guy driving the truck was partially at fault but he was just trying to make a point that the guy was driving like a jackass. He obviously didn't get the point and continued driving like a jackass and caused an accident. So maybe the guy in the truck took his point making a little too far. Buy I don't think the guy in the truck was in a rage like the camaro driver must have been.
The Following User Says Thank You to BlueFoot For This Useful Post:
Xist (05-19-2015)
Old 05-18-2015, 07:36 PM   #110 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

doesn't look like any major injuries, cept maybe the camaro, do you have something against darwin?

Again, "fixing" rage requires your "final solution".

Reply  Post New Thread