Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2015, 08:13 PM   #111 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Grey Goose - '09 Honda Fit Sport
Team Honda
90 day: 39.44 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-hack View Post
doesn't look like any major injuries, cept maybe the camaro, do you have something against darwin?

Again, "fixing" rage requires your "final solution".
Not really. Lane assist , lane change assist, and braking assist could have helped prevent a lot of that driver's stupid moves. It wouldn't have to be full blown automated driving.

Mercedes Benz already has cars on the market with that functionality.
Collision Prevention Assist - Radar Systems for Safety | Mercedes-Benz

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-18-2015, 09:52 PM   #112 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

awesomer - '04 Toyota prius
It sounds kinda full blown, just not full time. And I'm sure this guy isn't in the market for that. So what are you suggesting?
Old 05-19-2015, 06:51 AM   #113 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,391 Times in 3,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
From what I see, most so-called "road rage" incidents are from people who've finally been driven to the breaking point by the amount of stupid driving on the part of others.
"So you see Mr. Inattentive Driver, you're making me murder you. I have no choice in the matter!"

Blaming external influences for the cause of internal decisions is nearly universally accepted among the criminally minded. Anger is a choice, violence requires a decision to act on anger.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 05-19-2015, 07:32 AM   #114 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

"so you see mr ordinary driver, you are forcing me to take away all your liberties and right to privacy and equal treatment and also install a driver facing camera".
Old 05-19-2015, 02:11 PM   #115 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFoot View Post
Here's a specific incident where the road rager (in camaro) was at fault.
You noticed that I did say most incidents, not all of them. As for the rest, a ton - or usually several tons - of metal moving at speed is a lethal weapon. If someone threatens you with such a weapon, whether it's intentionally or through sheer stupidity, I think the reactions frequently should be called self-defense, not road rage.
Old 05-19-2015, 04:50 PM   #116 (permalink)
PSmodder lurker

Tesla software v7.0 autopassing mode still requires the 'driver'

If driverless cars promise less accidents and fewer insurance payouts, insurance companies predict that fully autonomous cars moves more liability away from 'drivers/passengers' and more on autonomous car makers. The newest planned over-the-air software v7.0 update for the Tesla Model S offers 90% autonomous driving, it brings it back to the 'driver/passenger' who must still activate the turn signals for the auto-passing function to work. This requires an all safe auto-steering & auto-passing situation to be 'approved' by the driver. This could assign liability or blame if there is an accident! Another proactive move by Tesla for the fast-moving autonomous movement and to help clarify liability for insurance companies (theoretically, car insurance should slowly die away).

Who
Old 05-19-2015, 06:24 PM   #117 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
...metal moving at speed is a lethal weapon. If someone threatens you with such a weapon, whether it's intentionally or through sheer stupidity, I think the reactions frequently should be called self-defense, not road rage.
Can you give me an example scenerio?

Self-defense is a reasonable reaction to a threat. However, I can envision very few driving scenerios where the "victim" is put in danger by a bad driver, and the only way to avoid injury is to cause injury to the bad driver.

Usually incidents happen so quickly that we have very little time to formulate a reaction plan. After the incident is over, we have more time to think and then become upset over the way the other driver operated their vehicle.

If the incident is already over, then violence can't be justified towards the bad driver.

I'm one prone to anger on the road, but thankfully have never acted out violently. Instead I tend to honk the horn for absurd amounts of time, like a minute, just to let the other person know I was not impressed with their driving.

What really angers me is when people intentionally drive agressively without regard for others, as if their time is more valuable than anyone elses. That video by Xist is an example that would have gotten my blood boiling just as an observer.

I've been rear-ended at a stoplight, suffered a little whiplash and a totalled car, and didn't have even the slightest bit of anger towards the kid that hit me. It was an accident, and if the kid could have prevented it, he would have. We all make mistakes, and we're fortunate that they rarely cause harm to others.

Old 05-19-2015, 07:20 PM   #118 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueFoot View Post
It would greatly reduce traffic.
If all cars could communicate and work together (unlike humans) traffic jams would be a thing of the past.
IFF, but is it worth the current 40 years of research plus more ongoing and buggy unpredictable behavior during launch?

I think training drivers to eco drive and taking cars OFF the road altogether is the only way to save fuel, resources and reduce accidents.
Old 05-20-2015, 01:40 AM   #119 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
IFF, but is it worth the current 40 years of research plus more ongoing and buggy unpredictable behavior during launch?
Is the million years of research and current drawbacks of living in modern homes worth it when we could just live in caves?

Quote:

I think training drivers to eco drive and taking cars OFF the road altogether is the only way to save fuel, resources and reduce accidents.
This is clearly false. While your suggestions are good ways to conserve resources and improve safety, they are obviously not the only ways to do so. They might be the best ways to accomplish these goals at the moment, but again they aren't the only way, and necessarily the best way in the future.

Old 05-20-2015, 03:01 AM   #120 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Is the million years of research and current drawbacks of living in modern homes worth it when we could just live in caves?
Technology is like a high carb diet. The only real question is if we are smart to know when we have pushed it far enough. And as a "value" question, it is pretty easy to argue that we have pushed things too far by making it soo easy to breed and live to an old age. (except for all the extinct species that is)

This doesn't mean you must be so filled with self loathing that we should eradicate humans with digital counterparts, or any remnant of naturally selected vigor.

But it does require looking at a bigger picture AND in more detail.

This site IS proof positive what folks can do when they put down the glossy marketing hype, put their wallet back in their pants, and understand the low level mechanisms and the operating environment.

The Following User Says Thank You to P-hack For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (05-20-2015)
Reply  Post New Thread