Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2024, 12:11 PM   #461 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Au contraire

I'm neither a slave nor an enslaver. To me it's an interesting intellectual question. How to disentangle the competing interests, so that everyone has the best possible outcome.

What would you suggest we do?
"How to disentangle the competing interests, so that everyone has the best possible outcome" is something that we might discuss, after the obvious (below) is acknowledged by you two. Without acknowledgment, the "But how can it be done fairly?" comments and questions seem like thinly veiled attempts to deny the damage done and/or claim that reparations shouldn't happen.

Chattel slaves and their descendants were obviously screwed over (to put it very mildly) for centuries, and reparations are long overdue.
The same goes for Native Americans. And probably Mexico, too. Then there's the list of peoples and sovereign nations wronged by the US, which is long. The first thing to do would be for the US to stop the wronging.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-20-2024, 12:54 PM   #462 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,618 Times in 7,097 Posts
Quote:
Without acknowledgment, the "But how can it be done fairly?" comments and questions seem like thinly veiled attempts to deny the damage done and/or claim that reparations shouldn't happen.

Chattel slaves and their descendants were obviously screwed over (to put it very mildly) for centuries, and reparations are long overdue.
Who has claimed reparations shouldn't happen?

Chattel slaves have been oppressed for millennia. The United States shed it's colonial past in 1789. The Constitution acknowledged the problem with the 35ths clause, and it was finally sorted out in the 1860s. That's less than 100 years.

I suggest you consider a wider context.

Quote:
https://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Triangular_trade
Triangular trade - Wikipedia
This trade, in trade volume, was primarily with South America, where most slaves were sold, but a classic example developed in 20th century study of the triangular trade is the colonial molasses trade, which involved the circuitous trading of slaves, sugar (often in liquid form, as molasses), and rum
Learn about the connection between the Democrat party and the Ku Klux Klan.

Learn about the Democrat LBJ 'War on Poverty' (and 'wars on ... in general) and the destruction wrought by the crack cocaine epidemic.

You will see why those chattel slave descendants are currently leaving the 'plantation'.

Thank you for continuing to engage on the question.

Old 04-20-2024, 01:29 PM   #463 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,395 Times in 3,368 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtlethargic View Post
You have this reversed. I used to believe that ~90% of Black Americans are descendants of chattel slaves and ~10% of Black Americans immigrated here
Perhaps I've got it backwards, but then;

Quote:
Of the over twelve million Africans forced into the trans-Atlantic slave trade from the sixteenth to the nineteenth centuries, four percent – roughly 470,000 men, women, and children – were sent to North America.
Half a million slaves were brought to North America, but each and every year thousands of black Africans legally immigrate, for hundreds of years.

Doesn't seem reasonable to me to conclude there are more descendants of the African slave trade, which ended many generations ago, than descendants of free immigrants, which has never ceased.

All that is a distraction from disentangling the problem of who is descended of slavery. What about the person who is 13% descended of a slave? Do they get 13% reparations?

What about the poor black folk who feel like they really need the "help", but do were descended of legal immigrants and therefore ineligible for reparations?

Then there's the fact that 100% of us are descended of slavery. How do we begin to bring justice to that history? Perhaps everyone can quit their jobs and research lineage and history back to the stone age to account for every single exploit, and then set about solving the problem.

The resources to compensate everyone will magically appear during this process, because that's where resources come from.

That's 3 of the hundreds of problems with this struggle session contrived by idiots.

Quote:
seem like thinly veiled attempts to deny the damage done and/or claim that reparations shouldn't happen.
I don't thinly veil, ever. Very clearly I stated that unless you have a magic DeLorean, you cannot deliver justice to history.

[B]Chattel slaves and their descendants were obviously screwed over (to put it very mildly) for centuries, and reparations are long overdue.[/quote]

Exactly, you get it completely. Reparations are due centuries ago.

Slavery in North America was a huge problem; one that was solved with much blood.

I like solving problems, but they have to be solvable. People forcing me to waste my time and effort to solve an unsolvable problem are contemptable.

We very bravely tilt at windmills, and shrink away at the dragon.

There are more slaves today than at any other point in history, and that is a solvable problem, but nobody is interested in solvable problems it seems.

Quote:
The same goes for Native Americans.
They are the most privileged citizens in the US, having even their own nation. Look how well they're doing with all the "help". Maybe if we help everyone they will all be so successful.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 04-20-2024 at 01:39 PM..
Old 04-20-2024, 01:31 PM   #464 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5
The liberal teachers respected reality, and even indoctrinated us children daily with the pledge of allegiance to the Unites States of America.

Reason was accepted throughout most of grade school, though leftist concepts of power being associated with victimization and weakness with victimhood was becoming commonplace.
That was then, this is now: duckduckgo.com/?q=title+IX&iar=news&ia=news

Quote:
Biden expands Title IX protections for pregnancy, trans people and sexual assault victims
ABC on MSN.com

GOP lawmakers slam Biden administration's new Title IX protections for 'gender identity'
FOX News on MSN.com
|20 hours ago

Biden 'undoing decades of women's rights' with changes to Title IX law
The Telegraph on MSN.com

New Title IX rules protect LGBTQ+ students, but transgender athletes aren't addressed
LA Times on MSN.com

DeVos: Biden's Title IX overhaul will be 'used to harm women'
Washington Examiner on MSN.com
Frankfurt School Marxism

Edit: Two minute delta.

Quote:
What about the person who is 13% descended of a slave?
What about the persons who are descended from both a slave and a slaver?

Old 04-20-2024, 02:53 PM   #465 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

None of that shucking and jiving acknowledged my statement in #461.
Old 04-20-2024, 03:40 PM   #466 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

redpoint5 at #463:

Quote:
"Chattel slaves and their descendants were obviously screwed over (to put it very mildly) for centuries, and reparations are long overdue."

Exactly, you get it completely. Reparations are due centuries ago.
One persons 'shucking and jiving' is another's reasoned discourse. Yours is not the only permissible opinion. Let us know when your ready for "How to disentangle the competing interests, so that everyone has the best possible outcome". I'm interested in your counterproposal.

Old 04-20-2024, 04:29 PM   #467 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

That quote from #463 wasn't an honest acknowledgement.
Old 04-20-2024, 04:43 PM   #468 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Quote:
None of that shucking and jiving acknowledged my statement in #461.
Please elaborate.

I'm always open to reason, especially when the reason results in funds accruing to harmed black individuals, who I identify as.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Let us know when you're ready for "How to disentangle the competing interests, so that everyone has the best possible outcome". I'm interested in your counterproposal.
Taking this rare opportunity to be the grammar Nazi.

I was recently called out for accidentally typing choose instead of chose. Those words are my kryptonite, along with clothes and cloths.

Last edited by redpoint5; 04-20-2024 at 04:50 PM..
Old 04-20-2024, 06:04 PM   #469 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

If there's a need to elaborate, it's you two ... elaborating less.
Old 04-20-2024, 07:17 PM   #470 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Quote:
If there's a need to elaborate, it's you two ... elaborating less.
I'm ready to change any opinion in an instant given sufficient evidence and reason. To the extent possible, I divorce ideology from personhood, meaning I'm not a part of ideology, but ideology is a part of me. Therefore, I hang on loosely yet simultaneously fervently to reality as revealed to me. It's an impossible balance to perfect, but that's not reason to not try.

Reply  Post New Thread