Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2014, 12:13 AM   #81 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

think im set on this particular quadrajet, a little tweaking left to do but its getting very close.

got a ton of stuff left to do on this truck but getting somewhere

heres a few pics:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

more progress and pics later. with a tuned up carb i can begin alternative fuel testing. just needs a few tweaks on idle and secondaries.

just found this

Last edited by dustyfirewalker; 05-03-2014 at 01:41 AM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-03-2014, 11:01 AM   #82 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,528 Times in 2,802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
The funny part is, even though the crank and some other bits on the colossal engines are moving slow, the pistons are going just as fast as on wee little screaming engines. Since the ring pack is one of the- if not the- biggest sources of internal friction, the efficiency advantage of the colossus isn't from that.
Thats why I run ultra low tension oil rings on my diesel.
Old 05-03-2014, 11:12 AM   #83 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

SUV

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai

SUV
The reason I dont believe in vapor engines is if they offered such a great advantage then why dont propane and natural gas engines offer any advantage over gasoline engines?

If you had a turbodiesel you would have a high compression engine capable of incinerating most heaver fuels, built in waste heat recovery with the ability to expand waste heat recovery, the ability to burn e85, ethanol, methanol, natural gas, propane, gasoline with intake fumigation.
And run water injection and actually have it deliver measurable gains.
Old 05-03-2014, 11:17 AM   #84 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The larger engines see proportionally less ring friction.

Quote:
The funny part is, even though the crank and some other bits on the colossal engines are moving slow, the pistons are going just as fast as on wee little screaming engines. Since the ring pack is one of the- if not the- biggest sources of internal friction, the efficiency advantage of the colossus isn't from that.
Displacement grows in a cubic function while ring sweep is a squared function.
Old 05-03-2014, 11:22 AM   #85 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I may not agree with Firewalkers methodology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
The reason I dont believe in vapor engines is if they offered such a great advantage then why dont propane and natural gas engines offer any advantage over gasoline engines?

If you had a turbodiesel you would have a high compression engine capable of incinerating most heaver fuels, built in waste heat recovery with the ability to expand waste heat recovery, the ability to burn e85, ethanol, methanol, natural gas, propane, gasoline with intake fumigation.
But, his goal is not absurd. If you have a cheap and plentiful source of heavy oils, a vehicle that can run on it would be valuable.

And, I have made discussion of vapor engines in other threads and they do provide greater efficiency and not because of production of vapors.
The Following User Says Thank You to RustyLugNut For This Useful Post:
dustyfirewalker (05-03-2014)
Old 05-03-2014, 11:23 AM   #86 (permalink)
In Lean Burn Mode

MisFit Talon - '91 Eagle Talon TSi
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 39.03 mpg (US)

Warlock - '71 Chevy Camaro

Fe Eclipse - '97 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS
Looks like your making some headway?

Enjoying the pics!!!

Keep up the good work

The Following User Says Thank You to pgfpro For This Useful Post:
dustyfirewalker (05-03-2014)
Old 05-03-2014, 12:12 PM   #87 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:

i would say the advantages of propane and CNG at this point is just a cheaper cleaner fuel. most experience a power loss bc they dont have a compression ratio capable of taking advantage of their anti knock capabilities. bc they dont have an engine idealized for those specific fuels they dont get the most out of the fuel. also they may not get the MPG's they get with gasoline for the same reason. we all know those engines run in stock form, i have seen a few people go nuts with compression ratios and turbos on propane or cng and get power, but not sure about mpg.

i agree that the diesel cycle is superior. it makes 100% sense to only push on the piston when it goes down. with a good compression ratio and no possibility of detonation. i also dont doubt that with a high enough compression ratio, the right fuel pump+injectors you could burn syrup as fuel haha.

typical carbs mix fuel and air to attempt making a flammable vapor. if i can just get the typical heavy waste oil hot enough it will have some properties similar to gasoline. and in its vaporized or smoked form it will be similar to woodgas, in my previous videos watch "chemistry of fire"

thanks for the comments guys. after finals ill be spending alot more time on the truck this summer
Old 05-03-2014, 12:20 PM   #88 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

SUV

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai

SUV
Wont heating the heavy oils leave slug and carbon deposits in all kinds of places where you dont want them?
Old 05-03-2014, 12:26 PM   #89 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

spyder2 - '00 Toyota MR2 Spyder
Quote:
The ring pack has more friction than any other single "area", but it only contributes ~25% of the total friction, so there are significant gains from the rest of the engine turning slow. In particular, the piston skirts are typically the next biggest source of friction, and that source of friction is cut down tremendously with a slower engine.
Old 05-03-2014, 12:40 PM   #90 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Wont heating the heavy oils leave slug and carbon deposits in all kinds of places where you dont want them?
yes i dont think the intake path will be nice and clean like i want, but what really got me thinking about how bad this would be is when i did knock sensors on my (completely stock) 5.3 IT WAS GROSS IN THERE. i scrapped out so much black crap from the black plastic intake manifold and thought to myself how did this thing ever breathe like this? also waynes woodgas setups use a hay filter because the deposits that can form are sticky. the woodgas guys say the test between tar and soot is to put it between your fingers and rub it around. the tar will become sticky and hot between your fingers and you know this will kill your valves and even stick your throttle plates. i tired the same thing with the intake deposits on my chevy, never got exactly the same feeling as the tree sap substance they talk about, more like a harder somewhat cooked grease. it still seemed like it wasnt sticky but more like a dirty black butter or something lol

but on my chevy, just an egr and fuel injection and it was full of black carbon. so what i have yet to really figure out is this: the deposits formed from vaporizing oils, are those deposits as bad as woodgas deposits capable of being sticky friction increasing tars? or are they just going to be there and not really hurt anything but flow like in my chevy? i dont know but i will find out. im going to be using some method of heating the intake charge, air and fuel will get very hot, then go into the engine. it might be like my chevy where every 100,000 miles or so everything needs a good clean.

so i do expect deposits to form, if its a big or little issue i do not know yet. before the engine gets ruined its easy to pick up on the signs of the nature of those deposits though. by inspecting and testing the deposits you can change things before they cause damage.

Reply  Post New Thread