Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2015, 01:00 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 29.5 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 50.48 mpg (US)
Jedi does great with his WRX, but his is two generations newer than Wrx's, and even so he has cracked past 30mpg only a handful of times. It's damned good for a Subaru but not great in the broader spectrum of fuel economy.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to elhigh For This Useful Post:
jedi_sol (05-19-2015), Wrx (05-08-2015)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-08-2015, 01:03 PM   #12 (permalink)
Wrx
Gas Guzzler

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhigh View Post
Hi,

There aren't a lot of Rexes on here, but there's a few:

That's a couple that seem to be current in the fuel logs. The ones that show up but don't see much activity I won't bother about.

It looks to me like you aren't going to break 30 mpg unless you're driving a Legacy or new Forester (maybe), or perhaps a Crosstrek.

I have a '98 Forester and while it's a good car for bad weather, and very roomy, it's a gas pig. PIG. Between that and the endless list of niggling engine problems, I will never, ever buy another one. Here and there you hear of a magically oil-tight Subie that is still running with its original head gaskets, but that has not been my experience. For your sake I hope you have the 2.2l engine which by all accounts is a MUCH more reliable mill, but I'm thinking by that model year that may not have been an option for you.

I know you have an enthusiast's car, but if fuel mileage is your goal you have a very difficult, uphill row to hoe. Late model Subies don't respond well to hypermiling in my experience and even if you're good at it, you'll be pushing hard to achieve what is merely average in a different car.

I don't generally recommend it because the name of the site is EcoMODDER, not EcoBUYER, but this time (and since you already mentioned it's on your mind), I would suggest a different car entirely.
Thanks for the long thoughtful response, I really appreciate it!

Luckily, my engine doesn't burn oil, it's actually a JDM EJ205 so it's a little more powerful as well. I usually check my oil levels weekly and never see it pass the F line.

I've already posted it on craigslist for around $8000 and I have gotten a lot of calls already so I will probably bump up the price a bit, I am planning on buying a crashed salvage car and fixing it up (my parents recently bought a brand new 2015 KIA Optima with 7,000 miles for only $7,000 so perhaps I can buy something along those lines
Old 05-08-2015, 01:18 PM   #13 (permalink)
Wrx
Gas Guzzler

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Charlie View Post
Welcome to the world of applied high performance driving.

But as much fun as I had tearing it up whenever the opportunity presented, now I get to do it every time I get in my Fit.

The smart move is to grab a beater for as little as possible and then sell the Subaru. Then get a car that you can rock all the time without worrying about radar, insurance, theft or vandalism.

You can get something reliable and good that'll get good numbers for a lot less than you'll get for the Subaru, and once you're settled you can ditch the beater.
Haha thanks for this awesome response, and tbh in my opinion my subaru is less likely to have something stolen or be stolen just for the fact that there isn't really a market out there for them.
My dad has had a couple of hondas, and they have been stolen twice because here in California, everyone wants Hondas, everyone has Hondas.

I want to thank you for your helpful response!
Old 05-08-2015, 04:08 PM   #14 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 30.18 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Sell your Subaru and find an old Del Sol! :P

Jedi Sol had a Del Sol and sold it for a Subaru that he keeps modifying. His work looks pretty good!

Mom was asking about selling my Subaru to a junker. The car is supposed to work once I put the engine back together again! Zerohour made some beautiful fiberglass aeromods for his Subaru and then sold it for a more economical car.

Except, it was new...
Old 05-08-2015, 06:04 PM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I can honestly say I understand and relate. My Forester XTI is my least fuel efficient vehicle and heavily modified. This is why I picked up a 2005 Scion XB. While the subaru has the best smiles-per-mile, I can only muster 24-27 MPG on Premium fuel. (My full conversion is under Sleepy1 on the Subaru Forester forum if your curious.)

My favorite fuel efficient vehicle was my 2009 Honda Fit Sport 5-spd manual. I got great mileage (87 Octane), it was super reliable, handled well in the corners for stock, and insurance was cheap. As a college student, the insurance and cheap gas will save you money over the Subaru. The only reason I gave it up was when my sister's car started having issues and so I sold the Fit to her. I miss the car very much, but am content that it is still in the family.

I am enthusiastic about my Subaru and understand where you're coming from. However, gas and insurance is high compared to a vehicle that would fulfill the basic needs of a college student. Truth be told... I really wanted a WRX/STI while in grad school... I just had to wait a while and then build my dream car.

In the end, my old Honda Fit, and my Scion XB make me smile too and would be two recommendations that you can buy outright with the sale of the WRX.
2005 Scion XB 5-speed 3.722 FD
1964 VW Beetle Original 36hp
Old 05-08-2015, 06:36 PM   #16 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
Get a Honda insight, 60mpg without trying. Lol. Never have to worry about it getting stolen because it looks silly, and it really is fun to drive. Not sure if you need passenger space though, as it is only a 2-seater.

The Following User Says Thank You to Baltothewolf For This Useful Post:
Wrx (05-08-2015)
Old 05-08-2015, 06:51 PM   #17 (permalink)
Wrx
Gas Guzzler

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltothewolf View Post
Get a Honda insight, 60mpg without trying. Lol. Never have to worry about it getting stolen because it looks silly, and it really is fun to drive. Not sure if you need passenger space though, as it is only a 2-seater.
I have been looking at the Honda Insight, however the body are just atrocious, it's really not my style. Passenger space is not an issue for me, and that MPG you get from a Honda insight is amazing, but just something about it that I really can't see myself in it.
Old 05-08-2015, 09:26 PM   #18 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,960 Times in 3,604 Posts
^ That's because you haven't been here quite long enough.

I kid, I kid.

Welcome to the forum. Keep us posted on where you go. One strong recommendation: get a manual transmission. It gives you so much more opportunity to get stellar MPG than an automatic (even if the automatic has a higher rating).
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:
BabyDiesel (05-09-2015), Fat Charlie (05-11-2015)
Old 05-09-2015, 01:21 AM   #19 (permalink)
Lean Burn Cruiser!

Big Blazin' - '88 Chevrolet K5 Blazer Silverado
SUV
90 day: 14.97 mpg (US)

Chili - '00 Honda Insight
Gen-1 Insights
Team Honda
House of Tudor
Team Streamliner
90 day: 72.29 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
^ That's because you haven't been here quite long enough.

I kid, I kid.

Welcome to the forum. Keep us posted on where you go. One strong recommendation: get a manual transmission. It gives you so much more opportunity to get stellar MPG than an automatic (even if the automatic has a higher rating).
I put all the things on that part because I have an auto. I know the struggle and live it everyday!

It is late, but welcome to Ecomodder WRX!

Remember, thank a fellow EM'er for a helpful post!!!
I hypermile better in my cowboy boots

Past threads:
ZX2 modding thread
Ecomodder's Top 10: How they do it!
ZX2 Aerodynamics: Shooting for 0.15 Cd
ZX2 coast-down testing for Cd & Crr
Old 05-09-2015, 03:22 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Geo XL1 - '94 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Boat tails and more mods
90 day: 72.22 mpg (US)

Big, Bad & Flat - '01 Dodge Ram 3500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 21.13 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,353 Times in 711 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrx View Post
I have been looking at the Honda Insight, however the body are just atrocious, it's really not my style. Passenger space is not an issue for me, and that MPG you get from a Honda insight is amazing, but just something about it that I really can't see myself in it.
Atrocious...???

No... No...

This is what "atrocious" looks like...

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...yle-26022.html

A Honda Insight is a thing of beauty compared to mine.

Just stick around here long enough...

You might just get infected too...

>

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to redneck For This Useful Post:
BabyDiesel (05-09-2015), dirtydave (05-11-2015), Fat Charlie (05-11-2015), MetroMPG (05-09-2015), Wrx (05-12-2015), Xist (05-11-2015)
Reply  Post New Thread