Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Instrumentation > OpenGauge / MPGuino FE computer
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2014, 01:45 PM   #341 (permalink)
MPGuino Supporter

iNXS - '10 Opel Zafira 111 Anniversary

Suzi - '02 Suzuki Swift GL
Quote:
Originally Posted by stewie View Post
Sweet code release!
Thanks!

Quote:
How can i upload this new code? I have Jellybean 0.86 version now.
To reprogram your JBD board, you will need some sort of programmer that uses the ISP protocol. I bought one of these in July 2013 - Pololu ISP programmer

Alternately, you should be able to buy a standard Arduino Uno, program the Uno with the current release code, then physically swap the AtMega328 chips between the Uno and your JBD board. I haven't actually tested this, though, so I don't know if it will actually work.

Quote:
Can new code be programmed to display Intant Mpgs, Current Mpgs, Tank Mpgs, Miles Til empty on one screen? That would be sweet.
This is possible with the current version of the code. I am currently re-writing the screen editor to be a bit less clunky than it currently is, and the new version will be released shortly.

Quote:
In original old 0.86 release in Custom display can those values also be user set like current, instant and tank miles, distance?
No, not without examining and re-writing the section of programming code that controls the Custom display, then uploading it to your JBD hardware. This was one reason why I made my version of the MPGuino code available for general use - it has a screen editor that eliminates the need to modify the program code.

The Following User Says Thank You to t vago For This Useful Post:
stewie (05-11-2014)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-11-2014, 04:00 PM   #342 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Milano Red VX - '92 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 50.15 mpg (US)
tvago thank you. That's awesome. I think i will buy that programmer just in case i need to update code later. Now having this programmer how would i connect to chip? what commends? and how would i change the code with what commends. Do you have any basic wiki for this anywhere? Thank you for your hard work. That's awesome. I always wanted to have inst, curr, tank and mile til empty on one screen.
Old 05-11-2014, 04:10 PM   #343 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by t vago View Post
Some time ago, I added a feature that enabled the user to select if the current trip would be automatically reset whenever the MPGuino would wake up from its sleep. It was known as "auto-reset of the current trip." This is in the settings configuration.

Your MPGuino code might have auto-reset of the current trip turned off, by default. I noticed the same thing you did about a month ago, and I discovered that my auto-reset was turned off.
Ok. I checked it was disabled, already activated and works as it should work.

I had an idea that seemed interesting, do not know if also of the same opinion, thought already using programming MPGuino and create a serial output to bluetooth to connect to a mobile phone and create a program for android to show the data on the mobile phone .
This android program, of course, would be paid for rentablizar the time you have dedicated to the project.
It's just a idea, do not know if I ever thought of it but it seems interesting. Nowadays everybody uses a mobile phone many with GPS, and so it was easier to apply in the car was enough to put the mobile phone in a holder and did not have to make big connections.

Thank you
José Rodrigues
Old 05-12-2014, 09:37 AM   #344 (permalink)
MPGuino Supporter

Quote:
tvago thank you. That's awesome. I think i will buy that programmer just in case i need to update code later. Now having this programmer how would i connect to chip? what commends? and how would i change the code with what commends. Do you have any basic wiki for this anywhere? Thank you for your hard work. That's awesome. I always wanted to have inst, curr, tank and mile til empty on one screen.
I use the Arduino IDE. It's free, it interfaces with the actual AVR interfacing commands to generate the code and program the hardware, and it's really easy to use. Did I mention that it's free? The current stable version is 1.0.5.

I don't have any sort of wiki yet. I keep meaning to ask the EcoModder.com moderators for wiki privileges, but I can't ever get around to it.
stewie (05-12-2014)
Old 05-12-2014, 09:40 AM   #345 (permalink)
MPGuino Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by josemapiro View Post
I had an idea that seemed interesting, do not know if also of the same opinion, thought already using programming MPGuino and create a serial output to bluetooth to connect to a mobile phone and create a program for android to show the data on the mobile phone .
This android program, of course, would be paid for rentablizar the time you have dedicated to the project.
It's just a idea, do not know if I ever thought of it but it seems interesting. Nowadays everybody uses a mobile phone many with GPS, and so it was easier to apply in the car was enough to put the mobile phone in a holder and did not have to make big connections.
I thought about making a Bluetooth interface, and it's certainly doable on the MPGuino end, but I haven't really done any Android programming at all. This idea, though, would have to be really special in some way, in order to compete with the Torque app for Android, though.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to t vago For This Useful Post:
Felar (05-13-2014), josemapiro (05-12-2014), stewie (05-12-2014)
Old 05-12-2014, 12:19 PM   #346 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Team Honda
Quote:
I use the Arduino IDE. It's free, it interfaces with the actual AVR interfacing commands to generate the code and program the hardware, and it's really easy to use. Did I mention that it's free? The current stable version is 1.0.5.

I don't have any sort of wiki yet. I keep meaning to ask the EcoModder.com moderators for wiki privileges, but I can't ever get around to it.
Tvago thank you. That's awesome. So can i just copy and paste text in the zip file you have or can i upload this whole file using Arduino. I guess in simple terms how you upload your newest code and how you edit and modify the code?

Edit:
I just downloaded Arduino and tried to open your file 20140326 - mpguino_1.91_tav.c in it and it failed. It can only open .ino and one more format. I tried renaming it but that didn't work out either. Any thoughts?

Edit 2:
Scatch --Add file? ....to edit code?
I think that's it but want to make sure?
If i want to upload new code to guino then File--->Upload or Upload using Programmer?

Last edited by stewie; 05-12-2014 at 01:09 PM..
Old 05-12-2014, 01:35 PM   #347 (permalink)
MPGuino Supporter

Quote:
Tvago thank you. That's awesome. So can i just copy and paste text in the zip file you have or can i upload this whole file using Arduino. I guess in simple terms how you upload your newest code and how you edit and modify the code?

Edit:
I just downloaded Arduino and tried to open your file 20140326 - mpguino_1.91_tav.c in it and it failed. It can only open .ino and one more format. I tried renaming it but that didn't work out either. Any thoughts?

Edit 2:
Scatch --Add file? ....to edit code?
I think that's it but want to make sure?
If i want to upload new code to guino then File--->Upload or Upload using Programmer?
Actually, I just copy and paste the code from my text editor, into the Arduino IDE. The Arduino IDE is limited, in terms of text editing, compared to what I'm used to, so that's why I do it that way. You can use any text editor, as long as you can copy-paste it into the Arduino IDE.

File -> Upload works on ordinary Arduino boards, such as the Uno and the Mega2560 and the Leonardo. File -> Upload using Programmer works on the JBD board, provided you also have an ISP-compatible programmer hooked up.
stewie (05-12-2014)
Old 05-12-2014, 02:13 PM   #348 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
I thought about making a Bluetooth interface, and it's certainly doable on the MPGuino end, but I haven't really done any Android programming at all. This idea, though, would have to be really special in some way, in order to compete with the Torque app for Android, though.
Yes I understand the situation, but I do not think that would compete with the torque, because this software without OBD2 does not work, whereas this system premite work with older cars, which are those that do not have any indication of consumption.

Thank you
José Rodrigues
The Following User Says Thank You to josemapiro For This Useful Post:
t vago (05-12-2014)
Old 05-12-2014, 03:42 PM   #349 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Team Honda
Thank you Tvago for your hard work on the new code. This is really awesome. I just ordered that programmer with cable. I have jellybeandriver board and will load your new code as soon as it gets here.

I looked at old code and it has 1500 lines where yours has 8500 lol. That's some major upgrade.

Are there any MPG accuracy enhancements in your code or functionality only?
I saw you did something with fuel injectors.

As of curiosity when will you be releasing even newer code you mentioned?
No rush. Just curious

Last edited by stewie; 05-12-2014 at 03:56 PM..
Old 05-12-2014, 04:25 PM   #350 (permalink)
MPGuino Supporter

Quote:
I just ordered that programmer with cable. I have jellybeandriver board and will load your new code as soon as it gets here.
Looking forward to hearing of your results.

Quote:
Are there any MPG accuracy enhancements in your code or functionality only?
I saw you did something with fuel injectors.
There were a vast number of improvements with the code. The fuel injector code you looked at has two separate rationality checks, to ensure that the injector pulses being read are actually valid pulses. I've substantially simplified the 64-bit integer calculations, and enabled time-to-empty calculations to be accurate down to the second. A lot of the code also has to do with improved display and user input capability, and a significant portion of the code also deals with being able to run MPGuino on many different AtMega platforms, using several different displays, and using at least two separate types of button input.

Quote:
As of curiosity when will you be releasing even newer code you mentioned?
Probably within the next several days. I've gone through the code in general, and cleaned up several points. I've re-written the screen editor code, and will likely be taking another look at the trip save code.

I still have to add several items I've been meaning to add, such as real-time clock support, the A-B trip viewer, and the coastdown calculator.

stewie (05-12-2014)
Reply  Post New Thread