Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2023, 03:52 AM   #31 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,596 Times in 7,079 Posts
How long is it now?

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
j-c-c (11-16-2023)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-16-2023, 07:35 AM   #32 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
Energy conservation devices are aerodynamic aids. They work on straight trucks as well as trailers.

We totally agree, but the FHP CMV trooper does not, but the question remains, what exactly defines "approved", that allows their use, that is still rather unanswered.

My recent takeaway with this Trooper, she could not conceive she did not know the answer, could not admit it, and fed me a line of BS just to get me to go away instead facing her potential shortcoming on this matter. She was in good company so far it appears. Her technical understanding was vividly exposed by her stating energy devices save no gas on a straight truck and when I mentioned that I disagreed, her response that is a "fact", almost caused me to burst into laughter.
That was caused by my personal experience in 1974 of my first custom building a front wind deflector on my 22' Box International straight truck that increased my mileage from 5.6 to 7.4 MPG much to my amazement during the first gas crisis. I have in the decades since then built/installed 6? more all with significant mpg improvements.

Update: as of 4-14-20 : "Industry supplier Stemco has discontinued production of its TrailerTail product, which helped pioneer improved aerodynamics at the rear of the trailer."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	500img-B291 (2).jpg
Views:	5
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	34338  

Last edited by j-c-c; 11-16-2023 at 12:39 PM..
Old 11-16-2023, 07:41 AM   #33 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
How long is it now?
40' currently

I'm wanting to build a rear approx 48" composite liftable and single horizontal hinged composite tapered hollow box tail ( would serve as a awning in lifted position) and a front horizontal 12"? roof mount curved wind vane, making vehicle approx 45' long with the addition of these two energy saving devices.

Last edited by j-c-c; 11-16-2023 at 07:51 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to j-c-c For This Useful Post:
freebeard (11-16-2023)
Old 11-16-2023, 03:34 PM   #34 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,069 Times in 1,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by j-c-c View Post
We totally agree, but the FHP CMV trooper does not, but the question remains, what exactly defines "approved", that allows their use, that is still rather unanswered.
No doubt the trooper doesn't know what she is talking about - which is not uncommon. As you said, truck manufacturers do not make the cargo boxes or other bodies so no truck manufacturer is going to certify an aero tail.

I don't think you will have issues with a commercially purchased tail. They are quite common and in almost all cases put the vehicle over the legal length limit.

I do think you might have trouble with a homemade tail - if it looks to be homemade or very different from the commercially available options. In that case there is no doubt that the device was not approved for sale or use on public roads.
The Following User Says Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
j-c-c (11-16-2023)
Old 11-16-2023, 04:55 PM   #35 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Modern problems ==> Modern solutions

journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/16878132221087852
Quote:
Aerodynamic drag reduction for a truck model using DBD plasma actuators
Abstract
In this study, the effect of DBD plasma actuator based active flow control for a truck model was investigated. Two different electrode shapes which are linear and comb-shaped plasma actuators, are considered. The two DBD plasma actuators are placed at the leading edge or the trailing edge of the trailer, respectively. First, the drag reduction for the DBD plasma actuators at input voltages varying from 6 to 14 kVpp are compared. At a Reynolds number of 25,000, the maximum drag reduction using three comb-shaped plasma actuators at the trailing edge of the trailer is 8.7%, while the maximum drag reduction of three linear plasma actuators is approximately 6%. Then flow visualization behind the truck is performed. At a Reynolds number of 3500 and an input voltage of 14 kVpp, the results show that three comb-shaped plasma actuators installed at the trailing edge of the trailer produce a significant reduction in the wake region. In addition, the PIV measurement is used to quantize the flow field. It is observed that comb-shaped plasma actuators change the slope of the wake region more significantly than using linear plasma actuators. Therefore, this study shows that the use of DBD plasma actuators qualitatively and quantitatively reduces aerodynamic drag.

www.linkedin.com/pulse/plasma-actuators-extremely-complex-physics-help-semi-pranay-bajjuri

Beware the anarcho-tyranny; They will want to ticket you just like you'd put blue dots in your tail lights.
Quote:
tps://mechanics.stackexchange.com › questions › 50296 › what-was-the-initial-idea-behind-those-blue-dot-tail-lights-from-the-30s-to
What was the initial idea behind those "Blue Dot" tail lights from the ...
"Blue Dot" tail lights seem to be illegal in most US states nowadays (and probably in most other countries, too), but they still seem very popular in the Hot Rod scene. And you can still buy them as 3rd-party parts, even equipped with LEDs. But I wonder how that fashion started.

Last edited by freebeard; 11-16-2023 at 05:02 PM..
Old 11-16-2023, 08:28 PM   #36 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,628 Times in 1,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
Energy conservation devices are aerodynamic aids. They work on straight trucks as well as trailers.
Would you expect a bureaucrat to actually have any clue, or care enough to learn about it?
Old 11-16-2023, 08:53 PM   #37 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Would you expect a bureaucrat to actually have any clue, or care enough to learn about it?
Your are preaching to the choir on that thought.

I would have thought the last bastion of logic on the matter would be the actual officer writing the ticket on the side of the road for having an overlength vehicle because of unapproved by the "department" energy conservation devices.
It sounds like this can be only resolved in a courtroom after a citation, because it might be easy to prove the "department" has never approved prior a single device, even with literally thousands in use daily, and has never produced anything written for public review on the matter, and the statue is vague in reality and unenforceable in the least.

But then, there is, "you can't beat city hall".
Old 11-16-2023, 10:04 PM   #38 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,393 Times in 3,366 Posts
We don't live in rational society. All the citations I should have had dismissed were ruled against me, and some of the ones I shouldn't have had dismissed were ruled in my favor.

I don't have recent experience though. There is such a thing as judges and prosecutors undermining the effort of police to the detriment of society and the criminals/addicts themselves. Some people live their best lives in confinement.

The dysfunctionality comes when generally law abiding citizens are shaken down for their loose cash, while the law dismissing individuals are given a pass. You'll get a citation for doing 5 over the limit, but the guy that wants to build a house and poop in the street is not held to account.

THAT is a sign of a civilization in decline. Anyone voting for chaos or otherwise supporting it deserves the society they get.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 11-16-2023, 11:02 PM   #39 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
but the guy that wants to build a house and poop in the street is not held to account.
Oxford comma?

Old 11-16-2023, 11:10 PM   #40 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,393 Times in 3,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Oxford comma?
I accept punctuation and grammar corrections in quotation. My sense is the point was understood clearly, and nobody will comment because they are either blue-pilled, or black-pilled.

We live in a gutless society where nobody will say anything unless it's to apologize for terrorist barbarism.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
freebeard (12-01-2023)
Reply  Post New Thread