Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2013, 01:53 PM   #21 (permalink)
NightKnight

RippinRoo - '05 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT
Subaru
90 day: 21.16 mpg (US)

Helga - '00 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
Diesel
90 day: 53.91 mpg (US)

Olga - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon
90 day: 46.24 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Including e.g. sleep? I also must admit that I simply can't understand why people would use computers to play music.
He did say (in the same post you quoted):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post

When I am not using my computer, I put it to sleep, or if it will be a while, in hibernate mode.

I don't see the problem... a computer that is in sleep mode uses very little; a hibernated computer uses nothing. It's not "OFF" but in hibernate, it's using the same amount of power as "OFF".

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-14-2013, 07:25 AM   #22 (permalink)
wdb
lurker's apprentice

PlainJane - '12 Toyota Tacoma Base 4WD Access Cab
90 day: 20.98 mpg (US)
Not to mention that the total energy consumption of turning computers off/on repeatedly vs. leaving them on (and sleeping or hibernating) is not at all as cut and dried as one might think. Computers are busy little buggers when they're booting.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:03 PM   #23 (permalink)
Eco Sol

Bacon strips and bacon strips and bacon strips and bacon strips and bacon strips

Quote:
For the record, I named my car hoping to bring bacon afficionados to the site. It cannot hurt, right?
Everything is better with bacon!! Have a sandwich, throw some bacon on it, have thanksgiving turkey, throw some bacon on it, eat some ice-cream, throw some bacon on it. OK, I haven't done the ice-cream, but you get the idea...

P.S. "Epic meal time" loves bacon

Best Tank = 42.72 mpg (in the 94 Del Sol)

CR-Z Current Mods:
Max Sidewall PSI
Old 06-14-2013, 02:12 PM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
Computers are busy little buggers when they're booting.
Not all that busy, for all that long - at least if you use Linux and have bothered to optimize the boot at all.

You also may have other stuff that's not the computer sucking power as long as it's on. In my case, there's a router and cable modem. By the "warm to the touch" test, the modem seems to draw about as much power as the idle notebook.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:36 PM   #25 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 31.19 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
When I was in Afghanistan (not the best time for my brain), I thought that since beef jerky was low-fat, bacon jerky would be perfect!

I found a few places that sold it and after one humorous negative review of the first place I bought from the second, but it was not just bacon jerky, they were flavored, and it turned out that the jerky was actually covered in the flavoring. I felt overwhelmed.

They had different packages and I went for the sampler that excluded "muddy pigs" or something--chocolate-covered bacon.

I imagine that people have put bacon in ice cream, just like I once put cheese on a pancake.

Once...

Back in Germany, I was always frustrated that the chow hall cooked green beans with bacon. I was eating vegetables for a reason!

Then there was the vegetarian Soldier that I knew...

Eventually I realized that lean bacon is called "ham" unless you are Canadian.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:33 PM   #26 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
Not all that busy, for all that long - at least if you use Linux and have bothered to optimize the boot at all.
A "default" install of Win7 will boot faster than "default" installation of Linux and run faster from then on given 4GB (in 32bit mode). Even with "additional" load such as anti-virus and malware protection.

You can get improved results with messing about with "swapiness" in Linux to make it work better once booted. Google it for instructions on how to tweak this (irony )

If your Win 7 machine is slow to start click on the start menu, type "msconfig" in the search box and select msconfig.exe from the menu. Click on the "startup" tab and work through stuff that is running when you start your PC.

Same also applies to XP too.

Windows 8 - are you mad ?
Old 06-14-2013, 11:35 PM   #27 (permalink)
Lots of Questions

Motor-Rolla - '01 Toyota Corolla LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 28.3 mpg (US)

Gaia - '99 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Highlander
90 day: 19.78 mpg (US)

Gaia - Round 2 - '99 Toyota 4runner SR5 Highlander
90 day: 17.23 mpg (US)
Quote:
People turn off computers?
I'm glad you said it! I was thinking it, but was afraid of:

Quote:
And you're asking this on an ecomodding site? Why on Earth wouldn't you turn off your computer (or anything else) when you're not using it?
I often have too many webpages and other research projects open to turn off my laptop. I should probably figure out a good way to save the webpages in a "special" bookmarks folder or something, that way when I turn the laptop back on, I can go through the bookmarks as necessary and delete them when I'm done. I also like to use the power from my class as that is solar.

I like how this thread went *at least for a moment* from Victoria's Secret to bacon.

Best EM Quotes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
It has been said, that if you peel the duct tape back on Earth's equator, you'll find that the two hemispheres are held together with J B Weld.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan9 View Post
subscribed with a soda.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
If you're burning,and someone throws gasoline on you,there will be a localized cooling effect, but you're still on fire.
Old 06-15-2013, 03:31 AM   #28 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
Google ads vs ecomodders; spam, spam, spam, spam, bacon and spam...?

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:09 AM   #29 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,572 Times in 7,058 Posts
Quote:
Turning the tables on google
So the other day I was researching Vespa scooters online...
I was going to email this question to my brothers, but they feel no obligation to Reply so I'll put it here. It was apparent in the early days of Internet that the FBI wanted a back door for corruption. In the last week, the plots and counter-plots in SigInt have spilled over into the popular press. Some companies, Yahoo and Twitter for example, resist more but they are all compromised.

I'm looking at two search engines—Duckduckgo and Startpage. Their 'About' pages are here:

https://duckduckgo.com/about

https://us2.startpage.com/eng/what-m...e-special.html

While Startpage states
Quote:
Startpage is brought to you by Ixquick, the world's most private search engine. Ixquick has been third-party certified by EuroPriSe, a European Union privacy initiative.
On July 14th, 2008 Ixquick was awarded the first European Privacy Seal.
Ixquick is the first and only EU-approved search engine.
Find the official EuroPriSe press release here.
—they do use the Google API

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DuckDuckGo
Quote:
DuckDuckGo is an Internet search engine that uses information from crowdsourced websites such as Wikipedia to obtain its results. The search engine policy says that it protects privacy, and does not record user information.[2] Because users are not profiled, the "filter bubble" can be avoided, with all users being shown the same search results for a given search term.
In case anyone doesn't get why this is important, here's this:

Using Metadata to Find Paul Revere

--------

So, does anyone know of a search engine better than these? Or have a preference between them?
Old 06-23-2013, 01:53 AM   #30 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Camryaro - '92 Toyota Camry LE V6
90 day: 31.12 mpg (US)

Red - '00 Honda Insight

Prius - '05 Toyota Prius

3 - '18 Tesla Model 3
90 day: 152.47 mpg (US)
I think with noscript+cookie manager+adblock (or similar) is a good combo. You still have a unique combo for an advertiser to use, but the infrastructure to track the fraction of a percent of users that selectively allow scripts/ads/cookies isn't worth it for advertisers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arragonis View Post
A "default" install of Win7 will boot faster than "default" installation of Linux and run faster from then on given 4GB (in 32bit mode). Even with "additional" load such as anti-virus and malware protection.
I don't think that's likely as a general rule. I have a i5 at work running 7 and it takes as long as my atom based netbook running archlinux.

Reply  Post New Thread