Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2014, 11:13 PM   #111 (permalink)
Bow
Old School Hashiriya

Fred - '98 Nissan Frontier XE
90 day: 26.57 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
A higher compression would be more suitable to run on ethanol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post

Bow -- It's probably that 9.5:1 compression ratio. Alchohol likes high compression.

Edit: Like cRiPpLe_rOoStEr says.
yup... I did a metric $hit-ton of research before I swapped the 240SX to E85 in 2007... I had a healthy car with a healthy motor... I dropped in some 370CC injectors (from a Nissan SR20DET) and filled it up... its been running like a raped ape ever since... I put a wide-band O2 on it and had my Nissan ECU tweaking buddy in the passenger seat doing some real-time ECU monitering, he couldn't believe how "Stock" the fuel/timing maps looked. he leaned the ecu out a tad more than stock and I've been running it ever since.

I know higher compression is better for economy, but when I pull the 240 out, I'm not worried about Eco-driving... The built engine, with the individual throttle body injection and 11:1 CR on E85 should be a scream to drive in a light chassis.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-15-2014, 11:24 PM   #112 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
A higher CR with ethanol is not just about efficiency, but also about optimizing performance due to its higher octane-equivalent rating.
Old 08-16-2014, 02:36 PM   #113 (permalink)
Bow
Old School Hashiriya

Fred - '98 Nissan Frontier XE
90 day: 26.57 mpg (US)
Yes sir, I understand that...

but with the price of a set of pistons, cams, etc. for this engine, I decided to keep the dollar per smile ratio on the lower side and enjoy the ride... when I stomp the loud pedal, the rear end goes -----> that way, my smile gets big, and the neighbors run for cover... good enough for me...

and an the fact my exhaust smells like a distillery is cool as well...

Old 08-16-2014, 02:58 PM   #114 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bow View Post
yup... I did a metric $hit-ton of research before I swapped the 240SX to E85 in 2007... I had a healthy car with a healthy motor... I dropped in some 370CC injectors (from a Nissan SR20DET) and filled it up... its been running like a raped ape ever since... I put a wide-band O2 on it and had my Nissan ECU tweaking buddy in the passenger seat doing some real-time ECU monitering, he couldn't believe how "Stock" the fuel/timing maps looked. he leaned the ecu out a tad more than stock and I've been running it ever since.

I know higher compression is better for economy, but when I pull the 240 out, I'm not worried about Eco-driving... The built engine, with the individual throttle body injection and 11:1 CR on E85 should be a scream to drive in a light chassis.
Back in the day Jim Wolf use to do the ECU and cam for the 12v 240SX HB, which was basically Nissan's Truck motor with a lower CR than the 16v motors. We would just run bolt-ons including nitrous, because we could salvage low mileage motors from car-part.com for $500 all day

Funny thing about those cars was you could get a muscle car to follow you into a curve and only you would make it out lol. The came from the factory with 195/60/15s on steelies, but once you slapped on some 225/50/16s you would be pulling close to a g.
Old 08-17-2014, 01:08 AM   #115 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CargoBoatTails View Post
Funny thing about those cars was you could get a muscle car to follow you into a curve and only you would make it out lol.
I like some Euro and Jap sports cars for their handling, altough I still like the Chevy V8 (either a classic small-block or the newer LS series) more. Would be great to get the handling of a BMW M5 with that unique feeling of a good old truck engine...
Old 08-17-2014, 02:26 AM   #116 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
I like some Euro and Jap sports cars for their handling, altough I still like the Chevy V8 (either a classic small-block or the newer LS series) more. Would be great to get the handling of a BMW M5 with that unique feeling of a good old truck engine...
BMW did have a 302ci V8 in the E39 M5 that isnt much different than the new 5.0L Mustang today.
Old 08-17-2014, 03:28 AM   #117 (permalink)
Just cruisin’ along

Beater Echo - '00 Toyota Echo
90 day: 42.67 mpg (US)

Hondizzle - '97 Honda Civic DX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.55 mpg (US)

Shaggin Waggin - '14 Chrysler Town + Country
90 day: 22.56 mpg (US)
Quote:
CTS-V?

I had the chance to buy a first gen V with 30k miles for $20k. I didn't do it because I was worried about maintenance. I think about how dumb I was for passing up an LS/6 rocket which in all honesty is really kind of indistinguishable from your regular mid size family sedans. And on the other hand, I'd have kicked myself at the first insurance bill. And again at the first repair...

'97 Honda Civic DX Coupe 5MT - dead 2/23
'00 Echo - dead 2/17
'14 Chrysler Town + Country - My DD, for now
'67 Mustang Convertible - gone 1/17
Old 08-19-2014, 01:16 AM   #118 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

The CTS-V is a nice one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CargoBoatTails View Post
BMW did have a 302ci V8 in the E39 M5 that isnt much different than the new 5.0L Mustang today.
The Mustang is becoming too Euro-ish nowadays. I still see the platform of the current generation (to be phased out soon) as reasonably American with its rear solid axle, but regarding V8 engines I still prefer a good old cam-in-block.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:50 PM   #119 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
For reduced valvetrain noise and reduced overall size, put the entire valvetrain in the block.

Does anyone make a flathead flat four? BMW made a flathead flat twin. If I could get a good working example of any truck engine ever, it would have to be the 1938 White flathead flat twelve. Seven main bearings, 465 wet-sleeved cubic inches. It came on a subframe that included the [optional five-speed] transmission, radiator and dashboard.

Old 08-21-2014, 03:45 AM   #120 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

The most recent side-valve development I was aware was about a project from Spanish motorcycle factory Gas Gas considering this layout for an engine intended to be fitted into their trial motorcycles range, since the side-valve would make it closer to the size of the 2-stroke engines. It was in 2007 or 2008.

Reply  Post New Thread