Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2020, 07:28 PM   #111 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Just testing people with symptoms isn't enough. How many days does it take to progress that far?

How many people never show symptoms, but carry the virus?

Why Iceland’s approach to coronavirus testing may be better than America’s

Iceland is testing everyone possible, finding many asymptomatic cases, and seemingly maintaining control.

Random Coronavirus Testing Coming For Miami-Dade Resident

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-28-2020, 08:07 PM   #112 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post

So which country is best positioned to return to the Gold Standard? What will voters think if the 103-year old Beast From Jekyll Island has been slain?

The survivors, of which there will be many, will see the Golden Age that Scott Adams promised. The anti-Black Swan is a combination of Gold and Chloroquine.
Nobody is returning to the gold standard.
The Following User Says Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (03-29-2020)
Old 03-28-2020, 08:13 PM   #113 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
Quote:
Nobody is returning to the gold standard.
Well ...it wasn't exactly a campaign promise.

What does it mean when Federal Reserve bonds are purchased by Treasury instead of the Reserve. I'm no expert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist
I still wonder what that was I had in mid-January. It was early, but novel. Never had anything go in through the lacrimals before.

Old 03-28-2020, 08:16 PM   #114 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
Just testing people with symptoms isn't enough. How many days does it take to progress that far?

Why Iceland’s approach to coronavirus testing may be better than America’s

Iceland is testing everyone possible, finding many asymptomatic cases, and seemingly maintaining control.

Random Coronavirus Testing Coming For Miami-Dade Resident
From your article:

Of course, Iceland’s minuscule population makes it far easier to test there than in most other countries—including even South Korea, where the swift control of the coronavirus among its 50 million people is credited in large part to the government’s aggressive testing and quarantine strategy.

South Korea's effort (linked in your article)
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020...et-its-success
Old 03-28-2020, 08:47 PM   #115 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Quote:
Well ...it wasn't exactly a campaign promise.

What does it mean when Federal Reserve bonds are purchased by Treasury instead of the Reserve. I'm no expert.
It means the Fed is adding liquidity to the market. They are buying treasuries from banks (not directly from the Treasury in daily auctions) to pump money into the market and keep banks from hording cash and freezing up the system.

They did the same thing in 2008 / 2009. In late 2008 banks had a lot of assets but needed cash. The problem was nobody wanted to give up cash to buy the assets. So the Fed stepped in and bought those assets which pumped much need cash (liquidity) into the markets. Then when the economy got better they started selling off those assets (treasures, bonds, mortgages, etc) that they bought during the financial crisis back into the open market.

The European and Japanese central banks do the same thing.
freebeard (03-28-2020)
Old 03-28-2020, 09:11 PM   #116 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
That requires the President to take the long view and stay focused.
That's it, we're screwed. You can't solve a pandemic in 144 characters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fat Charlie For This Useful Post:
Ecky (03-29-2020), nemo (03-29-2020), Xist (03-28-2020)
Old 03-28-2020, 09:16 PM   #117 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Xist — Don't know what you think about Alex Jones, but this is his theory:

Quote:
Alex Jones interviews an anonymous source about the numbers being reported about the Chinese Communist Party’s coronavirus.

The source, a research scientist, pointed out that America’s coronavirus cases are appearing to explode because of the sheer number of testing it’s been able to do thanks to President Trump’s response.

“If you look back at about March 1, you’re seeing about 1,000 tests performed per day in the United States,” the source said.

“Today, it’s right around 150,000-200,000 tests a day. And so, it’s no doubt that we have way more positives identified than any other country in the world is because we’ve actually done way more tests than anybody at this point.”

“One thing that Trump did…he stepped in and the FDA reduced those regulations, and it opened up testing.”
newswars.com: EXCLUSIVE: Whistleblower Exposes Huge Coronavirus Secret: United States has most cases because it's done a hundred times more testing than anyone else

I'm curious about Hydrochloroquine trials, results should be available after 3-4 days. A story from 2018: High-yielding continuous-flow synthesis of antimalarial drug hydroxychloroquine
https://www.beilstein-journals.org/bjoc/articles/14/45

Quote:
This high-yielding, multigram-scale continuous synthesis provides an opportunity to achieve increase global access to hydroxychloroquine for treatment of malaria.
'Imagine a Beowulf cluster of those!'

Old 03-28-2020, 10:02 PM   #118 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Quote:
The same Alex Jones that says the Sandy Hook and Douglas High school shooting never happened and were elaborate hoaxes?

That Obama was going to round up all the patriots and put them in FEMA concentration camps?

That the US Government was behind the Oklahoma bombing and 9/11?

That the Clintons were running a child sex ring out of a pizza restaurant in Washington DC and Hillary Clinton personally rapes, kills, and chops up children?
Ecky (03-29-2020)
Old 03-28-2020, 10:15 PM   #119 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
“One thing that Trump did…he stepped in and the FDA reduced those regulations, and it opened up testing.”
Or not. One thing Trump actually did was congratulate West Virginia last week for keeping coronavirus out of their state.

Quote:
When asked if it’s an issue of a lack of reporting cases, the president elaborated. “I just see West Virginia is the only one that has no cases. So obviously that’s being treated differently than in New York or California.”
Testing. Yeah. There was a while when "presumed coronavirus" was a diagnosis being reported in the news because there were no tests. West Virginia wasn't even doing that:

How one woman fought to get her husband tested while her state was applauded for having no coronavirus
Quote:
Carolyn's journey is one story behind how and why West Virginia had no reported cases for so long.
Trump congratulated West Virginia because they weren't testing or even reporting presumed cases the day after I got sent home from work in New Hampshire. I knew it was just a cold, but my boss told me to check it out. I called the doctor's office and got told to call 211. Which told me to go see my doctor. So the 17th, the same morning Trump was congratulating WV for not testing anyone, I showed up at the doctor's clinic. It was the same runaround, except I was simply playing "react to coronavirus" because I was supposed to and was confident I didn't have it. I cheerfully went home and reported to work that I had been ordered to go home and self isolate. By the receptionist. Because we didn't have protocols or tests available here either.

That was just over a week ago. Did he wave his deregulatory wand and magically produce and distribute tests before "... I guess they have none. Still none? Still none, West Virginia. Big Jim the governor, he must be doing a good job,” or was it after that? Hopefully not before, that would mean you can't trust the words coming out of his mouth. If it was after, then maybe early on Monday the 17th he suddenly realized the magnitude of the situation and called the FDA, telling them to get more tests no matter what.

But I'll just go with the graph in the video Xist shared earlier that shows it's spreading here exactly as effectively as it has spread everywhere else.

I'll also guess that Alex Jones is full of $#*+. I feel dirty for even clicking on that link to see the date of that post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

Old 03-28-2020, 10:34 PM   #120 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH
Quote:
The same Alex Jones that says [stuff]
I was asking Xist, but thanks for chiming in.

How do you feel about Rachel Maddow?

Reply  Post New Thread