Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2010, 12:44 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Red Car - '89 Chevrolet Celebrity CL 4 door
Team Chevy
90 day: 36.47 mpg (US)

Winter Wagon - '89 Pontiac 6000 LE Wagon
90 day: 28.26 mpg (US)
I always liked the 70s GMC motorhomes. I heard they also set the land speed record for a motorhome, at least for their time.

How about the Lesharo / Phasar / Rialta motorhomes?

Winter daily driver, parked most days right now

Summer daily driver
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-06-2010, 01:01 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
Gmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonman76 View Post
I always liked the 70s GMC motorhomes. I heard they also set the land speed record for a motorhome, at least for their time.

How about the Lesharo / Phasar / Rialta motorhomes?
One of my relatives had a GMC motorhome.They would drive it down into Mexico for dove hunting.
They told me that 8-mpg was the best they ever saw with it.
I have no idea how it was driven.
Old 05-06-2010, 01:09 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamperBob View Post
It depends on your requirements. Where do you want to take it? How much ground clearance is needed to get in/out of camp sites? How many creature comforts are must have? How many people will be sleeping and eating inside it? How many days of food, water and restroom capacity do you need between stops? How many miles do you need between refueling stops? If traveling lots of toll roads, how many axles can you afford? What other dollar or weight budget restrictions might be involved? Don't forget all cargo needed to enjoy the trip and/or destination. If you go somewhere and drop anchor for a spell what kind of auxiliary mobility will you need to get around? These factors may have a higher effect on your satisfaction than how many MPGs you get.

BTW, I can meet (even exceed) the EPA highway number on the sticker of my (stock) truck towing this (aerodynamically stock) trailer including extras.

You can learn more about this genre of small car/truck friendly RVs at Egg Central.

Cheers
KB
OK, good point.

My interest would be a self-contained motor home (not trailer) with 2 axles, best suited for highway efficiency rather than rugged conditions, that would comfortably sleep 2-4 people. This primarily for business use, where I may be sent to spend weeks at some small town, so could live in the motorhome rather than pay motel and restaurant bills. The job may entail travel all over the US. If the employer would pay me the same money as hotels and restaurants would cost, the motorhome would pay for itself quickly. 2-4 person capacity would presumably have enough room for me to live in and use for office space.

Diesel would be a plus, if conversion to biodiesel oil from restaurants were readily an option. Otherwise, diesels tend to run more expense, i.e., it would take many highway miles before the extra cost of the diesel were offset.

A well-streamlined stock vehicle seems the best platform to start with, as it would already have properly radiused nose, presumably smooth sides and roof, etc.,leaving less modification to do, such as undertray and wheel fairings.
Old 05-06-2010, 04:20 PM   #14 (permalink)

How about one of the mini-motorhomes based on a toyota truck platform. Here's an example from a local craigslist ad:
1987 Toyota Dophin Motorhome

No idea what sort of mileage they get.

Mike

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods
Old 05-06-2010, 05:24 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcane View Post
How about one of the mini-motorhomes based on a toyota truck platform. Here's an example from a local craigslist ad:
1987 Toyota Dophin Motorhome

No idea what sort of mileage they get.

Mike
Well, that thing is not exactly laminar flow.

Basic shape is the most important variable at highway speed, and that Toyota cab-over is about as draggy as it gets. Ideally, a VW microbus* shape, but significantly larger, would seem best. However, I don't know about RV/motorhomes or what shapes and efficiencies there may be to choose from.

The GM motorhome appears to be reasonably well shaped, but one of the posters above reports it only got about 8 mpg, which is terrible. Surely, there is a good basic shape out there, suitable for improvement with undertray/pizza pans/wheel spats/air dam/reduced aero mirrors, etc..

The Oscar Meyer weinermobile has better aero than most motorhomes, no thanks to those rocket scientists in Detroit. For that matter, the doggy van in Dumb & Dumber probably beats most of Detroit's work product. Sorry to say.

Any ideas about midsize trucks such as UPS or FedEx vans, but known for efficiency and have good aero shapes? Maybe one of those could be ecomodded and outfitted with bed, chairs, etc..

*per Whole Earth Catalog, the microbus was the most efficient people mover of its day, given fuel burned / people aboard = passenger miles per gallon.
Some larger variation on that theme is what I have in mind.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:36 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
On the other end of the spectrum might be a diesel westfalia camper, maybe good for 30mpg, dunno.

course if you just want a place to stay dry and keep the bears off ya, then a mat in the back of your hatchback (passenger seat forward) can be relatively comfortable.

And a jungle hammock fits nicely on anything from a bicycle on up and is quite dry and comfortable.

Though it would be interesting to see an eco'd bus
My neighbor drove to the Yucatan Peninsula every year in a Westfalia Campmobile with Subaru engine.With an open 24-inch boat-tail he could pull 24-mpg.
Camping on the beaches,he and his wife met many couples with the larger modern diesel-powered vans.No owners reported over 20-mpg and they scoffed at Bob's claims of 24.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:13 PM   #17 (permalink)
PSmodder lurker

If low-floor plan airport shuttles could be road worthy, their ultra-low profile, huge interior volume, awesome clean lines and wheel covers could be great for a sexy RV conversion.
Galerie
Old 05-06-2010, 07:20 PM   #18 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
The little Toyotas reportedly get really bad fe. Surprisingly bad.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:01 PM   #19 (permalink)
Deadly Efficient

Olivia - '03 Pontiac Vibe base
90 day: 36.01 mpg (US)

R2-D2 - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.81 mpg (US)
Dodge Sprinters get decent FE. Kinda pricey, though.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:00 PM   #20 (permalink)
Wannabe greenie

The Clunker (retired) - '90 Honda Accord EX sedan
Team Honda
90 day: 29.49 mpg (US)

Mountain Goat - '96 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCab
90 day: 18 mpg (US)

Zippy - '10 Kymco Agility 125
90 day: 65.03 mpg (US)
Tent trailer?

Reply  Post New Thread