Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

View Poll Results: Why do you drive an auto?
I drive a manual 84 54.90%
I have driven both, and prefer auto 19 12.42%
I have only driven automatics 3 1.96%
I couldn't get the car I wanted with a manual because of buying used 27 17.65%
I couldn't get the car I wanted with a manual because they aren't made (excl hybrid) 16 10.46%
I couldn't get the car I wanted with a manual because it's a hybrid 4 2.61%
Voters: 153. You may not vote on this poll

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2010, 04:46 PM   #81 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Big Orange Work Truck - '83 Ford F-250
90 day: 27.54 mpg (US)

Jessica's - '04 Toyota Matrix
90 day: 41.21 mpg (US)

Ninjette - '01 Kawasaki Ninja EX250R
One time me and my (then) wife won a new mini cooper.

I asked if we could get it in manual.
They said they didn't have any, and would get back to us.
They called back a few days later saying they didn't think they could get one in a reasonable amount of time.
All they had was the one they used for test drives, and would we mind one with a few miles on it?
It was the top of the line 'S' model, with a turbo charger, traction control, a 6spd, and side-curtain airbags.
I told them I was willing to make that 'sacrifice'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
A few months ago I returned home just as my neighbor pulled into his driveway. It was cold (around freezing) with some rain and sleet, and he yells to me: You rode your bike? In this weather?!?

So the other day we both returned home at the same time again, only now the weather is warm, sunny, with no wind. And I yell to him: You took the car? In this weather?!?
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-15-2010, 04:57 PM   #82 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tumnasgt View Post
The Western Europe difference is incredible. I do wonder if part of it is the type of cars they sell
No, it's because most of us in Europe don't want automatics.

Most cars can be had with an auto tranny, though not always with all engines.
The options are there, we just don't take them up.
One of the reasons is their higher fuel consumption.

The DSG could change that though, because for the first time, an auto transmission works as well as a manual.
If not better.

Old 12-15-2010, 05:46 PM   #83 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

The Charger - '15 BMW i3
Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
No, it's because most of us in Europe don't want automatics.

Most cars can be had with an auto tranny, though not always with all engines.
The options are there, we just don't take them up.
One of the reasons is their higher fuel consumption.

The DSG could change that though, because for the first time, an auto transmission works as well as a manual.
If not better.
I mean the difference between the industry rate of 13% auto vs the GM 90% auto. Either GM aren't selling many cars in Western Europe, or there is something about their cars that means people are buying auto versions.

I get the reasons Europeans generally drive manuals, and agree with them
Old 12-15-2010, 06:15 PM   #84 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Either GM aren't selling many cars in Western Europe, or there is something about their cars that means people are buying auto versions.
As far as GM selling American cars, they're not selling the kind of cars we want to buy.
US cars are a small niche market in Europe.
But what they do sell is usually automatic.

GM have their Opel/Vauxhall and Daewoo (now Chevy) brands to cover what we do buy in quantity
Those are mostly manuals.

Old 12-15-2010, 06:17 PM   #85 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
...and, today GM-Asia is pushing automatics to China like mad.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:23 PM   #86 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

The Charger - '15 BMW i3
Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
As far as GM selling American cars, they're not selling the kind of cars we want to buy.
US cars are a small niche market in Europe.
But what they do sell is usually automatic.

GM have their Opel/Vauxhall and Daewoo (now Chevy) brands to cover what we do buy in quantity
Those are mostly manuals.
If that's the case, how did GM manage to sell 90% automatics in Western Europe in '98? Seems like it must be an incorrect statistic (if there even is such a thing as a correct statistic).

I think that a global ban on torque converters would do a lot a good. Or at the very least require that the lock up clutch is strong enough that it is locked whenever the vehicle is going over 10mph or similar.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:42 PM   #87 (permalink)
Prototype builder

Big Vic - '03 Ford Crown VIctoria LX
90 day: 21.92 mpg (US)
If you think it is bad driving an ICE with an automatic, now we have people pushing automatics on EVs.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:06 PM   #88 (permalink)
Jeep Ecomodder

Daddy's Jeep - '00 Jeep Cherokee SE
90 day: 19.66 mpg (US)

Mama's Kia - '06 Kia Sedona LX
Quote:
I think that a global ban on torque converters would do a lot a good. Or at the very least require that the lock up clutch is strong enough that it is locked whenever the vehicle is going over 10mph or similar.
I completely agree, I know would get SO much better milleage in the city if it was locked up all the time above 10 MPH.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:54 PM   #89 (permalink)
Prototype builder

Big Vic - '03 Ford Crown VIctoria LX
90 day: 21.92 mpg (US)
Quote:
If that's the case, how did GM manage to sell 90% automatics in Western Europe in '98? Seems like it must be an incorrect statistic (if there even is such a thing as a correct statistic).

An automatic without a torque converter would never work, or they would have one now. The only way I see to make that work is to have a computer use a clutch and change gears and such. It would be a massively complicated system. I am not an auto tech, but I don't see how you could practically make an auto work without a torque converter.

As far as the U.S. is concerned. We are a lazy bunch. I don't know about Europe and the rest of the world, but Americans want to talk/text on their cell phones, play with sat nav,mp3 and various doodads in their cars and generally want driving to be as easy as possible so they can be distracted with other things.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:12 PM   #90 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

The Charger - '15 BMW i3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason1973tl View Post
An automatic without a torque converter would never work, or they would have one now. The only way I see to make that work is to have a computer use a clutch and change gears and such. It would be a massively complicated system. I am not an auto tech, but I don't see how you could practically make an auto work without a torque converter.

As far as the U.S. is concerned. We are a lazy bunch. I don't know about Europe and the rest of the world, but Americans want to talk/text on their cell phones, play with sat nav,mp3 and various doodads in their cars and generally want driving to be as easy as possible so they can be distracted with other things.
DSG transmissions are clutchless autos, and before them there were also automated manuals, which were just manuals operated by a computer (though they weren't very smooth). Honda also has a CVT with a clutch, which would fine as well.

As far as I know, there's nothing stopping car companies from having the torque converter lockup at low speeds, other than a slight added cost in having a stronger lockup clutch. In fact, I hope there is a good reason they don't do this, as otherwise they have been wasting huge amounts of gas for the sake of a little bit of extra profit.