Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2013, 10:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Volt, gas only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 38.02 mpg (US)

Volt, electric only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 132.26 mpg (US)

Yukon Denali Hybrid - '12 GMC Yukon Denali Hybrid
90 day: 21.48 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
A 3L V6 in the Dodge, and a significantly more powerful 5L V8 in the Nissan . . as said elsewhere, imagine the reaction of those for whom dentistry is less important than "Ammuricun made".

I agree, also, that Nissan will likely need to make their truck perform to 3/4-1T standard to get the best use of this motor. The transmission[s] will be the biggest deal of all (in re customer acceptance).

RAM screwed this one up, big time. I may not trust a DODGE dealer to have a qualified tech (and I don't, not without scads of references) so being able to go over to a big truck Cummins shop -- parts and service -- has always been a source of relief. I'm far from alone in this. A family of Cummins-powered vehicles would have been the right step (no matter how good the foreign diesels they'll need service eventually . . where in Wyoming will I find such?) as brand loyalty is very big among those who use vehicles to make money. The dealer/customer relationship is different than for daddy-commuter . . owning a 1T diesel work truck morphs easily into choosing another same-fuel family vehicle.

DD have you at hand a weight/dimensional comparison of the I6-6.7L and the new V8? FIrst one on the block with a stand-alone controller for that V8 . . . .

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way about putting a powerful diesel in a half ton truck. Nissan doesn't even offer a heavier truck. I don't know why nissan would go to the trouble of getting a diesel unless they plan on making a heavier version.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-25-2013, 12:49 AM   #12 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksa8907 View Post
I don't know why nissan would go to the trouble of getting a diesel unless they plan on making a heavier version.
Many folks only get 3/4-ton and 1-ton trucks because they currently can't get a Diesel 1/2-ton, so it's not a bad move at all.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:47 AM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Volt, gas only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 38.02 mpg (US)

Volt, electric only - '12 Chevrolet Volt Premium
90 day: 132.26 mpg (US)

Yukon Denali Hybrid - '12 GMC Yukon Denali Hybrid
90 day: 21.48 mpg (US)
Yes, but a larger displacement 4 cyl. diesel would do fine in a half ton truck. My point is I think its overkill to put that large of a diesel in a half ton truck. The only time you would need more power than the gas engine can make is when you have already grossly overloaded the truck.

It'll probably make one hell of a sport truck though.

Old 08-25-2013, 01:21 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

White Whale - '07 Dodge Ram 2500 ST Quad Cab 2wd, short bed
Team Cummins
90 day: 37.68 mpg (US)
Quote:
Yes, but a larger displacement 4 cyl. diesel would do fine in a half ton truck. My point is I think its overkill to put that large of a diesel in a half ton truck. The only time you would need more power than the gas engine can make is when you have already grossly overloaded the truck.

It'll probably make one hell of a sport truck though.
I believe the current standard gas engine in the Titan is a 5.6 liter V8 rated at 317 HP and 385 lb ft. So the diesel power rating will probably be pretty much the same but the torque rating will be quite a bit higher.

My version of energy storage is called "momentum".
My version of regenerative braking is called "bump starting".

1 Year Avg (Every Mile Traveled) = 47.8 mpg

BEST TANK: 2,009.6 mi on 35 gal (57.42 mpg): http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...5-a-26259.html

Old 08-26-2013, 02:49 AM   #15 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
a larger displacement 4 cyl. diesel would do fine in a half ton truck
I totally agree with you at this point. The 4-pot Cummins ISF3.8 rated at 160hp/450lb.ft. would be a great option to a Titan, could even feature some decent towing ability considering that it's used in small trucks with GVWR exceeding 20.000lbs back here in Brazil...
Old 08-26-2013, 10:32 AM   #16 (permalink)
UFO
Master EcoModder

Colorado - '17 Chevrolet Colorado 4x4 LT
90 day: 23.07 mpg (US)
A 5 liter diesel, good grief. Talk about overkill.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:20 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

wrong. and rite

Answer:Ford purchased a major stake in Cummins. Cummins and Ford are going to bed. Looks good for Ford.

That just goes to show that you can only powerstroke so long, you eventualy resort to cummins.

In my own words here : Ford has been on and off again major share holder of cummins motors since 1982. Ive never understood thier reluctance to admit to it untill now. Ford has been trying to keep from getting hit with Anti trust violations for doing so for years and years. Cant say thier not a major share holder again but last known 2010 they were majority share holder again.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:06 PM   #18 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
I agree with KSA's comments. Don't know why such a large engine is offered in a half-ton. That's only 0.9L less displacement and 2 MORE cylinders than the previous generation 3/4 ton Dodge. Overkill is putting it lightly. Plus, this offering seems too close to the other offerings that are already on the market in the 3/4 ton segment.

What I really want to see is a 4 cylinder turbo diesel in a light truck such as the Tacoma or Ridgeline.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Last edited by redpoint5; 08-26-2013 at 06:05 PM..
Old 08-26-2013, 02:46 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme1969 View Post
Answer:Ford purchased a major stake in Cummins. Cummins and Ford are going to bed. Looks good for Ford.

That just goes to show that you can only powerstroke so long, you eventualy resort to cummins.

In my own words here : Ford has been on and off again major share holder of cummins motors since 1982. Ive never understood thier reluctance to admit to it untill now. Ford has been trying to keep from getting hit with Anti trust violations for doing so for years and years. Cant say thier not a major share holder again but last known 2010 they were majority share holder again.
I'm not sure where you're getting your facts. Diesel Power magazine addressed this in it's "Top 10 Common Diesel Myths":

Ford Does NOT Own Cummins | Diesel Engines Blog & Discussion at Diesel Power Magazine

Quote:
Despite us actively trying to stamp out this rumor the last several years, some misinformed enthusiasts still believe that Ford owns Cummins. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Over two decades ago, Ford held roughly a 10-percent share of Cummins' stock. As a shareholder with a legitimate piece of the pie, Ford earned a seat on Cummins' board of directors, but that was the extent of its influence, or control, within Cummins. In 1997, Ford divested itself of all Cummins stock. For the record, you can currently order a Ford with a factory Cummins option in the U.S.—but it can only be had in a medium-duty F-650 or F-750 Super Duty...

BEST TANK: 2,009.6 mi on 35 gal (57.42 mpg): http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...5-a-26259.html

Old 08-26-2013, 02:57 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I agree with KSA's comments. Don't know why such a large engine is offered in a half-ton. That's only 0.9L less displacement and 2 MORE cylinders than the last generation 3/4 ton Dodge. Overkill is putting it lightly. Plus, this offering seems too close to the other offerings that are already on the market in the 3/4 ton segment.

What I really want to see is a 4 cylinder turbo diesel in a light truck such as the Tacoma or Ridgeline.
First of all, what does number of cylinders have to do with it (i.e., I want a 4 cylinder, 6 cylinder, etc.)? For some reason people think 4 cylinder engines are small fuel sippers and 8 cylinder engines are massive, powerful fuel guzzlers. While this is often the case, it needs to be looked at case by case. BMW made 3.0L V8's and I've seen 19.0L I6 engines for mining trucks. That being said, I do love the simplicity that typically comes with fewer cylinders & fewer parts.

And if you're in the market for less displacement, maybe something will come of the Nissan/Cummins 2.8L Titan project:
http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/d...diesel_engine/

Or if you're in Australia or South Africa you can already buy a 2.8L Cummins Foton truck:
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...kup-24360.html

Last edited by Diesel_Dave; 08-26-2013 at 03:24 PM..
Reply  Post New Thread