Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2023, 08:47 PM   #1371 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 30.49 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,218 Times in 1,709 Posts
I am thinking of calling a staffing agency on Monday and seeing if I can get a personal assistant.

I have 50 days to move 9 rooms and something like 2,000 square feet.

Mom's house is 1,286 square feet, her garage is around 400, her shed is 112, her locker is 100, my locker is 50, and there are bats in her attic.

That totals 1,948.

Well, at least my estimate was close.

I need to finish my 2002 Civic, which I keep saying I will do, and give myself a day to get as far as I can with Chorizo?

Please?

Pretty please?

Dismantle the greenhouse, empty the shed, and finish installing drywall.

The neighbor has been bugging me to remove the trees between the original chain link fence between the properties and the wooden fence Dad had me build.

I did two sections, put down weed fabric, stapled it, and put down gravel, but never did the rest, although I finished some boards for some reason.

There is an empty lot in Mesa for $25,000. The cheapest new mobile home I found was $162,146. Rocket Raccoon says a slab foundation would be $4,000-9,000 and then it wouldn't require additional steps, right?

Right?!

This site says that the VA will back mobile home loans, but many banks don't do them, but of course by myself I am stuck looking for something small.

Free 5th Wheel Travel Trailer
Quote:
Free Travel Trailer

I have a 1988 Alpha Gold Travel Trailer that I am giving away for free. I have the title free and clear . I just need it out of the RV / Mobile Home park by Tuesday 5/30/23. I cannot store it at my new home so I'm giving it away. It needs a good cleaning inside and it has no fridge. The tires should be OK for a local move .

Reply to my posting and I will reply back ASAP.
I will meet you at the RV Park with the Title and it's all yours.
Thanks
Would the city allow me to park a free trailer on that lot?

I need to remember that if anyone asks:

I say yes!

Do you think I will find the hardware for my first loft bed?

I am not sure that I am bringing either--or all of my lumber.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7ndhlm.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	33842  
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-27-2023, 09:43 PM   #1372 (permalink)
Growin a stash

If I need help for a few hours, there are usually people waiting in the Home Depot parking lot who are happy to help for a couple hundred bucks. Not sure if they do that in your area, though.

2024 Chevy Bolt

Previous:
2015 Nissan Leaf S, 164 mpge
Old 05-27-2023, 11:09 PM   #1373 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,597 Times in 7,080 Posts
Quote:
The neighbor has been bugging me to remove the trees between the original chain link fence between the properties and the wooden fence Dad had me build.
It might be easier to pull the chain link side than the wooden side.

Quote:
None of this makes any sense.
Thanks. I was starting to think it was me.

I live between two businesses that have tiny house shells on a rent to own basis. Up to 8x40ft. Worth it to get to see the shed delivery trailer in action.

www.pinehilltrailers.com/custom-shed-trailers

This doesn't have the fancy features, but delivers a 14x32ft unit (448sq ft).

Old 05-28-2023, 02:57 AM   #1374 (permalink)
Not Doug

The neighbor had wanted to torch the trees and he wanted me to hose down the parts of the fence that caught on fire.

I mowed the lawn and hosed off the dishes Mom had on the left side of the sink. My brother couldn't use the sink and put everything from that side into a big red ice chest, but when I finished hosing off everything with the pressure hose nozzle the sink was full of junk again.

I ate some ramen I cooked with broth in the rice cooker and just could not stay awake. Mom yelled at me to have my brother clear off the table and I had not realized how much junk they had on the table. I had him remove the largest items, one by one, and then laid down.

I didn't wake up until 11!

I don't have any idea who this guy is. I have been watching random guys who make random projects, but this seemed relevant to JSH's last comment:

"Walking around with a camera isn't low-key"
Joggernot (05-28-2023)
Old 05-28-2023, 12:18 PM   #1375 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,069 Times in 1,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
I have 50 days to move 9 rooms and something like 2,000 square feet.

Mom's house is 1,286 square feet, her garage is around 400, her shed is 112, her locker is 100, my locker is 50, and there are bats in her attic.
1. Wait - now we are back to the whole family moving with you to school? I'll be very blunt - you have very little chance of succeeding in grad school if you take the home drama that you have been describing to school with you. Grad school is a bachelor's program on steroids. You can expect 60 hour weeks, with even less follow-up and direction than in undergrad. It is 100% on you to avoid procrastination and keep up in class. Cramming the night before the exam that is 50% of your grad isn't going to cut it. Also most of these programs have no second chances - if you drop or fail a class you are out of the program and school.

2. Why are you looking at buying a house in Mesa? Is this going to be your forever home or is this just for the next 2 years? Rent a little place, finish school, then see where your job takes you. You will also be in a stronger position to buy when you have a steady full time job with more options to buy.

I'll also highly recommend against buying in a place you haven't lived recently. I did that in Alabama and within 3 months regretted it because we didn't understand the traffic patterns and that seemingly short 7 mile commute was really a 50 - 60 minute drive. There was a reason that houses in Helena were significantly cheaper.

3. The housing market makes MUCH more sense when you actually are shopping for houses and going to see them in person. That is why plenty of people on ecomodder told you to get a realtor and start visiting houses back when you were looking at buying a house in Show low. The ad on Zillow has about 25% of what you need to know as it is easy to hide things with pictures. You don't know what a house is worth until you go and look at it. It isn't just square footage and the number of rooms. This is especially true on the lower end of the market where a lot of the housing stock is old and has lots of issues. For example, a house I looked at in Alabama as a potential rental still had a 40 amp electrical panel with screw-in fuses. Rewiring an entire house is EXPENSIVE so it makes sense that the asking price was low. However, nothing in the Zillow ad mentioned that it needed a whole new electrical system.

4. The stealth camper van doesn't make sense at a commuter school without dorms. People will notice if your van never leaves the parking lot. The guy in the video did a good job picking a spot even if he did kinda spoil it by walking around outside. That looks like a pretty good spot - close to an apartment where people move in and out all the time and nobody can keep track of everybody's cars.

However, walking around when camping is a no 0 no. When stealth camping you park, climb in the back, sleep, and move in the early morning. He should have done his prep at the Walmart.
Old 05-28-2023, 02:13 PM   #1376 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,597 Times in 7,080 Posts
Quote:
I have been watching random guys who make random projects,
Rumble videos don't embed, but here's the Best Dad Ever:

rumble.com/v278obk-dad-builds-mercedes-vision-avtr-for-his-sons-2st-birthday.html
rumble.com/v2oynjh-full-99-days-build-ebr-105-tank-for-my-son-from-an-old-bus.html

My last two years of college I rented/lived in a [12x24?] apartment. I drove through a hole in a blackberry bramble to the parking spot and the windows faced directly onto a railroad switch yard.

My future ex-wife lived across the alley.

Old 05-29-2023, 12:45 PM   #1377 (permalink)
Not Doug

Mom will continue having emergencies until she stops doing everything and that certainly will not help me focus.

My brother has not had respite since August, has not consistently received speech therapy, and has not received occupational therapy in a year or two.

My second agency pays $16 hourly for respite and attendant care.

If we can get both then we have help with him and cleaning.

If Mom has a medical emergency, my know-it-all nurse practitioner sister lives 9 miles from a place I am pursuing, and we wouldn't need to worry about them aeroevaccing her to Mesa.

If Mom is just being high-maintenance I can tell that same sister "I took care of her for 5 years, you can help for 2 while I earn my Master's."

If Mom insists that I go and pick up something unnecessary there are Uber and Uber Eats.
Old 05-30-2023, 06:45 PM   #1378 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,069 Times in 1,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
If Mom has a medical emergency, my know-it-all nurse practitioner sister lives 9 miles from a place I am pursuing, and we wouldn't need to worry about them aeroevaccing her to Mesa.

If Mom is just being high-maintenance I can tell that same sister "I took care of her for 5 years, you can help for 2 while I earn my Master's."

If Mom insists that I go and pick up something unnecessary there are Uber and Uber Eats.
Having family close certainly can help - assuming that your "know-it-all sister" has agreed to take over caregiving. If not then the distance doesn't really matter. Do you sister and mother get along?

However, if you are really handing over caregiving to your sister then it would make sense for your mom and brother to live with her instead of you. The live-in family member always gets the bulk of care giving. You mom isn't going to call you sister for something if you are in the house.

I still don't know how you expect to attend grad school while living with your brother and mother. We've had years of stories of how you were going to do XY or Z but were derailed by family distractions. I guess it might work if you treat school as a job. Commute to school, stay 8 - 12 hours and get your classes, studying, and other course work done, then return home to sleep. That is what my wife did for grad school. Not so for distractions but because the school was a 100 mile drive.
Old 05-30-2023, 06:55 PM   #1379 (permalink)
Not Doug

My sister periodically calls and talks to mom when she is driving.

We have a group chat, but I am positive that they have one without me.

I tried to get Mom to message my sisters with her iPad, but she didn't want to, so I zoomed in on her messages.

If I am in grad school and Mom wants me to do something and I don't have the time I will tell her to have my sister, Uber Eats, or a handyman take care of it, although the latter would hopefully be unnecessary with a rental.

I just hope this school library is quieter than everywhere at ASU, where students once shushed librarians.

When I was earning my first degree I used to take a nap on the bus and then use the computing commons at night because there were distractions at home and there weren't enough students there to be distracting.

I also bought noise-canceling headphones because of distracting students.

Hopefully those still work.
Old 06-12-2023, 04:26 AM   #1380 (permalink)
Not Doug

I paid $540 to apply for 2 houses.

The first was rented out days before I applied, but the listing wasn't updated. It was through Zillow, which should have updated its own site.

I can apply to unlimited additionally places for free for 30 days, but the second place I picked wasn't just a home that accepted Zillow applications, in fact, only one of the 20 houses on my list allow me to apply through Zillow, and I should probably replace it with a house with multiple pictures and a 2-car garage--it only has a 1-car carport.

I just specifically looked for houses allowing Zillow applications and the first good one starts at $50 more a month than the last one I viewed, sorted by price, but is closer than that other one, so I replaced it.

It is a nice house, $150 a month more than the one I like the most, but when I found the page to apply it said
Quote:
ADDITIONAL MONTHLY FEES: In addition to the base rent there is $12.99 monthly filter fee and a 5% fee for tax and admin. If pets are permitted there is a monthly pet fee based on the pet ranging from $10-$50 per month.
ADDITIONAL MOVE IN COSTS: Rent is prorated based on move in date. If there are less that 10 prorated days then addition to the prorated rent you will also owe the following months rent. There is a one time non refundable admin fee equal to 20% of the base monthly rent.
Application Fee: $55.00
I need to pay $165 to apply, $487.50, plus $105 monthly for profit.

All the other listing says is that landscaping is included, which is nice, especially since it has lawns!

If it doesn't have the extra fees it would cost $45 less per month, so $112.50 more for a year, less after 15 months, but I don't want to think about moving halfway through my program!

It already says there are four applications.

I am sure that if it is cheaper and easier to apply for a home, it will rent out faster, all things being equal.

I am going to apply to FAFSA again.

Heaven forbid I need a predatory student loan!