Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2013, 05:39 PM   #21 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
Not last Wednesday, but the one before, my rear belly pan was destroyed but for two attachment points. Also, my air dam was destroyed. For most of this tank, my center belly pan was dragging as I traveled.

SOMEHOW, I managed a tiny hair above 39 mpg. Tires are fully inflated, oil change on friday followed by install of my rear belly pan V3.0, and I am hoping to crack the 42-43 mpg range. I am being very good to her, and I've kept my MPG on the car above 38- when it's at 35 mpg, I get 39-so who knows where I'll be if I keep it up there.

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-22-2013, 06:54 PM   #22 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

New record of 46 mpg (over 400 miles, not just a few feet or anything...lol) with the whole trip (just under 1200 miles not including the extra miles driven before the trip) getting over 43- setting me currently at 18th by % over EPA, and 130th overall mpg.

Best Tanks:
Old 08-22-2013, 10:33 PM   #23 (permalink)
radioranger

did you ever look up the mustang run at bristol race track with your car/ google up bristol mustang mpg run ,over 40 easy
Old 08-23-2013, 12:02 AM   #24 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by radioranger View Post
did you ever look up the mustang run at bristol race track with your car/ google up bristol mustang mpg run ,over 40 easy
I'll post it for you, it's pretty common, but in case others aren't familiar.

Mustang V-6 Averages 48.5 mpg; Runs 1,457 Laps at Bristol on a Single... -- BRISTOL, Tenn., June 24 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ --

Quote:
The 2011 Ford Mustang V-6 sets a new record by averaging 48.5 mpg on a track while completing 1,457 laps with an average speed of 43.9 mph
Did you look at my average speed? Or review any of my logs? Maybe I should note that I don't have an automatic, nor was I driving on a flat, closed course, without other drivers or disturbance- like rain storms, accidents, construction, deer, so on.

As impressed as I am by professional drivers on a closed course doing 44 mph to get 48 mpg, I think it's fair to say 46 mpg averaging 63 mph is pretty impressive, as well.

They did this a while after they set their own record at 44 mpg, at 44 mph, on a closed track somewhere else, too. Honestly, not very impressive in my opinion. I like to keep to real world applications, like what they did with the Fusion Hybrid.

Ford Fusion Hybrid Gets 81.5 MPG in Hypermiling Challenge : TreeHugger

Quote:
1,445.7 Miles on One Tank of GasAs a way to demonstrate the fuel efficiency of its 2010 Fusion hybrid, Ford created the 1,000 Mile Challenge. The goal was simple: To drive 1,000 miles or more on a single tank of fuel (17.5 gallons) in an unmodified Fusion hybrid. The route used sounds like it was pretty varied, with one part of it in Washington DC that had about 30 light signals (so it wasn't just highway driving).
Thanks for the news, though.

Best Tanks:
Old 08-23-2013, 01:51 PM   #25 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I tend to believe that your figures are correct.

Many would question this but that engine is nearing a modern marvel.
this isnt new technology here it started way back in 1982 when ford realized that thier engines and drivelines were still just 1940s and 50s designs rebaked.
In 1984 they put thier chasis Ideas to work in first SVO mustangs. good not great still just an old cast Iron head Pinto engine.
The aluminum headed 2.0 kent was first true eco ford engine and ruled the european track circuits. much formula one tech owes its lineage to that engine.

Now if your really good date all that info and figure out why its in that order.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:15 PM   #26 (permalink)
radioranger

for a reference my sisters 88 4 cyl 5 sp mustang averaged close to 38 mpg on a trip to fla from Conn back in the day cruising around 65 , I think they could be a bit of a sleeper eco mod car with a few up to date tricks
Old 08-24-2013, 12:23 AM   #27 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

It's sad to say, but I'll admit I don't know much about the technology in the engine. Other than techniques here, and aerodynamics, the true grit of how the engine is efficient, and what makes one engine better or worse isn't something I don't know on my own, it has to be explained to me or researched on an engine by engine basis.

My basic understanding of aerodynamics is helping me mold it into something different, and my performance has inspired me to start thinking about to the ground side skirts for the front, center, and rear, rear wheel skirts, filling in the gaps between wheels and arches, and smooth wheel covers- but it all has to look good to decent, while not disabling the car in winter.

Just driving in general makes me think of simple things Ford could implement to drastically boost fuel economy in the Mustang (and the rest of their line), but between costing money and Uh'MeraStang (Mustang owners who think it sacrilege to have decent fuel economy in a performance oriented car) hostility toward fuel economy above the teens, it will surely be a while before anything is actually done.

Best Tanks:
Old 12-16-2013, 10:31 PM   #28 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Been a few months, but wanted to post my underbody build to help encourage anyone on the fence about it- DO IT!

Backing up to Ramps

Prepping the board to be attached

Close up of attachment design

Look at how dirty this underbody is! C'mon Ford

Attaching

Secured, but not tightened (to maintain work space)

Laying the line, not tightening yet

What it should look like attached (view from ground)

Rear sway bar attachment point

Working rear to front

Mostly done

Upper grille block after almost a year

Best Tanks:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to UltArc For This Useful Post:
mcrews (12-16-2013), pgfpro (12-16-2013)
Old 12-17-2013, 11:58 PM   #29 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

I know...lol, I'm tired of people following me and demanding the fish :/ (kidding)

Best Tanks:
Old 01-10-2014, 11:36 PM   #30 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

UPDATE

Mustang:
I recently purchased a single piece, all aluminum drive shaft for the Mustang. This is the driveshaft: Mustang Mustang Aluminum One Piece Driveshaft (11-14 V6) - Free Shipping

It allegedly is only 10 pounds lighter, but I really don't know why I bought it. I have wanted it, but most peoples reasons are over the governed 113 mph. I first thought it would yield better fuel economy, but there is a lot of conflicting evidence saying heavier (between the two) is better, as with fly wheels.

I did purchase it because I was offered it for $340 shipped. Also, many people note better fuel economy. I find the notes more interesting about the less energy it takes to climb hills, and retain higher gears when driving. Will it yield better results? Maybe, maybe not. If it does NOTHING, I will probably take it off and resell it.

Today, I swapped the oil, and started on 0% Ethanol. 4.399 a gallon, but the Mustang is more of a toy now, and her mileage is limited. The Insight is powering through the brunt of my labor, so the Mustang should be treated to the best.

This coming weekend, I am venturing to North Carolina. I was challenged to a 1k bet, that I could not get 44 mpg on a highway trip. I pulled 46.3+ on the way back, and am doing a little test now. The weather is much worse, and we will do it in March, but I am just testing the waters. I am hoping to have my DS installed this week if I get it in time, at worst, I would like to have it installed while down there, and have it for the way back.

Short of rear wheel skirts, I do not know where else I can go with the vehicle regarding aeromods.

Insight:
The Insight is waiting for it's first oil change with me. I am also thinking I should have the transmission fluid swapped on it. The rear hatch still won't open, and my Honda dealership needs to get it opened- this is ridiculous.

This past week, we have had wind chills below -40, and temps were holding serious negatives (-10 and lower). The hybrid battery worked hard to get it started in the morning, and EPS seemed to be solar powered- since when the sun went down, it turned off.

I fixed my head light.
Before:

After:

The snow was deep.
Bottoming out the Insight, deep:

And my favorite, was some snaero testing (snow aero). (Mid December, when we had the heavy snow storm, not the deathly cold we had the past week)

Before the voyage:

After, 5.8 miles, 10 minutes, hitting and holding 60 mph:

Deadlifts, then came out to this:

And a shorter trip, but all at 60 mph resulted in:

Not perfect, but it was cold out. Several images excluded because of how clear my tacky advertising is, and this isn't where I go to advertise. Although since I thought I was taking the Insight to NC this coming weekend, I did repaint the driver side, and man, does it look good.

Any and all reviews, comments, or criticisms are appreciated!

Best Tanks:
Reply  Post New Thread