Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > DIY / How-to
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2012, 04:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
heading for 40

Hong Kong MTR - '98 Bombardier/ nee Adtranz A-Stock 5 paired doors
90 day: 102.63 mpg (US)
semi rigid belly pan easy off mod

I have been mulling over the design of a belly pan that would be an easy install/removal, and easy to store. I have come up with a design to try and just finished my first test for it.

my idea is to attach ratchet straps to the frame in the engine compartment. from there the straps will run under the enginecompartment and tread through slits cut in coroplast panels. the ratchet straps terminate at the rear of the vehicle.

the strap will weave up and down through the coroplast about every 4-6 inches . no tapping needed no screws no access holes. it is so easy to remove and install.

I tested today by driving 200km with the straps installed. no problem, no melting, no flapping . next I will cut coroplast and test with that

does my sig work now?
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-18-2012, 10:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
redorchestra -

Thanks for doing this. Can we see some pix? What is your approximate on/off time?

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 03-19-2012, 06:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

TANK the fifth - '02 Chevrolet S10 Crew Cab 4x4 LS
90 day: 20.44 mpg (US)
Interesting concept - using the ratchet straps.... I would definitely like to see some pics as well.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

This does sound like an interesting idea... I wonder if it will have a tendency to flap, or be blown against a hot exhaust?

I will be following with interest!

Old 03-19-2012, 11:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

the force is DOWN. This means about every 2 or 3 feet as you go back you should consider running a strap or metal or something from the frame of the car down to your strap. The idea is this will hold the cardboard up.

Otherwise you will have a piece of plastic hanging under your car suspended from the front and back of the car, with a big old sag in the middle.

The straps in the middle can be as simple as industrial zip ties - you want something really easy to attach and detach without having to rethread the entire strap.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:39 PM   #6 (permalink)
Fat free ranch for life!

Ecno-bubble - '96 Geo Metro Base
I also would like to see picks. in concert to what DrMiller100 is saying. I would suggest a ridged frame under the body, maybe angle aluminum, to pull the straps solid against. then as long as your anchor points front and rear are solid (Read,non-flexing or structural) just keep the straps ratcheted tight (real tight) and the straps will pinch the belly between the straps and the frame.

Just my 2 cents. Keep us updated!
Old 03-20-2012, 05:07 AM   #7 (permalink)
heading for 40

I am installing this on a 2007 n ford focus and truthfully the belly is already fairly smooth. When i pull the rachet strap tight it is right agaist the floor pan.
I am also considering cuttting the slots for the ratchet strap just slightly inside of the natural run of the straps so that when they are tight they will pull againt each other.

Another idea to combat the tendancy to sag downthe middle i am considering a length wise acccordian fold. chanells running the length of the car that would make a floppy piece of plastic more structural.

I will post some pics soon.

Right now the mostsignificant amout of time in the on and off is figuring out how to get the ratchet straps into the neutral position so that they pull freely :P

does my sig work now?
Old 03-24-2012, 11:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
This is really interesting.
I have a coroplast belly pan but I dread needing any under-body work like exhaust or drain the tranny fluid etc. A quicker on-off belly pan would be very nice.

Um, how are you attaching at the side edges? Is that where the ratchet straps are??

Old 03-25-2012, 06:20 AM   #9 (permalink)
heading for 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucepick View Post
This is really interesting.
I have a coroplast belly pan but I dread needing any under-body work like exhaust or drain the tranny fluid etc. A quicker on-off belly pan would be very nice.

Um, how are you attaching at the side edges? Is that where the ratchet straps are??
the ratchet straps run fairly close to the side edges. I have been thinking about something extra for the sides though. my thought are toward tech screws holding snaps like my old MGB had for the convertable top. or a hook and strap that fits tight from one side to the other and it will beover the ratchet strap but under the edge of the coroplast. when theratchet srtap tightens the side hook strapwill too. I don't know if I willneed the edgestrap yet.
I am waiting for a reason to go into the city to buy black coroplast. I could go to my local hardware store and buy white or clear but I want thhe slick look of black!!!!

does my sig work now?
Old 03-25-2012, 12:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I wonder if a plastic coated tarpauline material might also be suitable for something like this....

UV RESISTANT WATERPROOF PVC VINYL COLOURED PLASTIC SHEETING BOAT CARS COVER 60" | eBay

Reply  Post New Thread