Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2012, 02:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

clunkergem - '95 Honda Civic VX
93 civic vx - first time car owner!!!

So at 38 years old I finally had to break down and by a car. I have been bicycling and mass transit up till now. What luck that a friend sold me his (Cali) VX!!!! I had no idea about lean burn at the time, just got stupid lucky.

So now I have to learn a lot about cars! I can fix a bicycle blindfolded, but other than filling up gas, checking oil, and checking tire pressure, i havent really ever done anything with a car. I feel like I've already learned a ton just by browsing this awesome forum, but there is soooooo much I don't understand, much less am I able to find it in the car.

Im getting 32-35mpg right now with combo city/highway. I think that my best first starting point is an mpguino so I have a good baseline. Any other suggestions about where to start for a total newbie? What information is important to know about the car? My short list:

wheel size engine type, O2 sensor harness type.

What else is important to know?
What are other good starting points for FE improvement??

Thanks so much,

jesse

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-25-2012, 06:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

So what I have on the car (replaced within last year) are 175/70r13 tires. The repair manual I found online says that the VX comes with 165/70.. I searched through this forum and realize that tire size does not have a simple cookie-cutter answer, so I will be working on that.

Also having an interesting time with the engine number
D15z1 motor, but then -4000212 ...which doesn't makes sense to me based on the manual... I guess I look elsewhere for the emission group. Anyway it has a 4-wire 02 harness, so if I want to swap I still would have to build a harness anyway...
Old 03-25-2012, 09:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Welcome!
The biggest problem any of us have is adjusting the nut behind the wheel!

Go to the 65, and 100 tips at the top of the page.

Don't be afraid to bump up your tire psi. by at least 5#'s.

Work on SMOOTHNESS so stops are slower, and more gradual. Anticipate stoplights
ahead to avoid full stoppage if possible, and reduce accordian effect.

Live your life at 55mph., and much lower if possible.

Find routes to your destinations where you can cruise in high gear 35-45mph. w/o
having to stop much.

The most effectiveness is also the cheapest: learn to control yourself, and not drive w emotions.

Read, read, read! You'll find it will come natural to you faster than you might think!
06 Chev MonteC JG#24tribute car 30mpg 00 Honda Insight 63MPG 98 Buick Park Ave3.8 33MPG 89 Toyota Corolla wag 53MPG so far 81 VW Rabbit diesel pu 50MPG+ 80 Mercedes 240D stick 30-ish 90 vette 6-speed,29ish 07 Honda ST1300 55MPG 83 Honda 650 GL 64MPG 19 Suzuki dr200 88MPG23 HondaGrom?+Tow K10D Sub 26mpg NEVER,NEVER GIVE UP!
PUMP THOSE TIRES UP!
DRIVE IN YOUR SOCKS FOR SENSITIVITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SLOW DOWN AND SMOOTH UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![SIGPIC]
Old 03-25-2012, 09:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
It's common for the transmission fluid to be forgotten about, manual says to change it every other year and to use 10W30 motor oil, some people say that the dealers MTF is a better fluid to use, I use 0W30 full synthetic motor oil and have been very happy with the results.
I tend to always do a basic tune up on any new car I get, oil change, air filter, spark plugs, new coolant, check the distributor cap changing it if needed, jack the car up and check wheel bearings for play, brakes for drag and tires for odd wear.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrybuck View Post

Don't be afraid to bump up your tire psi. by at least 5#'s.

Work on SMOOTHNESS so stops are slower, and more gradual. Anticipate stoplights
ahead to avoid full stoppage if possible, and reduce accordian effect.

Live your life at 55mph., and much lower if possible.

Find routes to your destinations where you can cruise in high gear 35-45mph. w/o
having to stop much.

The most effectiveness is also the cheapest: learn to control yourself, and not drive w emotions.
Thanks for the suggestions, One question I had was - you mean bump up tire psi 5 lbs from manufacturer suggested from CAR or from TIRE manufacturer??

Also I really like the more "touchy feely" aspects of increasing FE. Going from bicycling to driving, I really noticed how much more I want to 'get there as quick as possible' and how much easier it is to forget about energy conversation when it isn't your legs doing the work. Maybe I should start thinking like I'm biking again...

Old 03-25-2012, 11:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
It's common for the transmission fluid to be forgotten about, manual says to change it every other year and to use 10W30 motor oil, some people say that the dealers MTF is a better fluid to use, I use 0W30 full synthetic motor oil and have been very happy with the results.
I tend to always do a basic tune up on any new car I get, oil change, air filter, spark plugs, new coolant, check the distributor cap changing it if needed, jack the car up and check wheel bearings for play, brakes for drag and tires for odd wear.
Thanks for the suggestions. I got the car tuned up and had filters and plugs and plug wires changed. I think that transmission fluid was changed, but Im gonna go back to look at records and make sure. I know that they put in 10w-30.
Tires are newish so it may be hard to see wear. I only have the factory jack that came with car, but I guess that's enough to check wheels for play and drag.

Thanks again

Reply  Post New Thread