Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2013, 05:11 PM   #91 (permalink)
Permanent Lurker
 
seifrob's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Czechoslovakia (sort of), Europe
Posts: 336

Dáčenka - '10 Dacia / Renault Logan MCV 1.5 dCi (X90 k9k)
90 day: 47.08 mpg (US)
Thanks: 128
Thanked 185 Times in 84 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangustang View Post
Well, now that I've had some sleep, I was able to take care of this one. I also changed some of the code around so that there are still only four template versions instead of 8 (in case of slow connections). Getting ready to work on the rotation part now.
Great work. And I am glad I can say I couldn't do it better. Would you mind to take care of the project? As I said, I am not a real webcoder and this tool needs someone like you. If you don't mind, I have posted link to your version to the thread starter.

Thanks.

  Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 02-27-2013, 05:49 PM   #92 (permalink)
Saturn Freak
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond
Posts: 51

Freddy - '95 Saturn SL2
Team Saturn
90 day: 34.25 mpg (US)
Thanks: 7
Thanked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seifrob View Post
Great work. And I am glad I can say I couldn't do it better. Would you mind to take care of the project? As I said, I am not a real webcoder and this tool needs someone like you. If you don't mind, I have posted link to your version to the thread starter.

Thanks.
I'd be honored. Thanks for laying the groundwork on this thing. Your code is really clean and easy to follow and modify.
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:37 PM   #93 (permalink)
Eco Sol
 
Shortie771's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Paradise, TX
Posts: 343

Lola - '11 Honda CR-Z EX
90 day: 42.95 mpg (US)
Thanks: 24
Thanked 88 Times in 52 Posts
My image would not upload into the tool so I copied the template and did it myself in Paint. Not sure if I did it right, but here is what I got for the Del Sol.

Side:

Top:
__________________




Best Tank = 42.72 mpg (in the 94 Del Sol)

CR-Z Current Mods:
Max Sidewall PSI

Last edited by Shortie771; 03-01-2013 at 04:00 PM..
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:44 AM   #94 (permalink)
Saturn Freak
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond
Posts: 51

Freddy - '95 Saturn SL2
Team Saturn
90 day: 34.25 mpg (US)
Thanks: 7
Thanked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortie771 View Post
My image would not upload into the tool so I copied the template and did it myself in Paint.
Are you using Internet Explorer by any chance? I don't normally use Windows, so I don't test very much on IE. I recommend using Firefox or Chrome if anything (not just this tool) isn't working on the internet. I will look into that bug while I'm at my parents' house and have access to a Windows box next week.

It looks like you did things right in Paint. You just can't see everything because the car is in the foreground and covers up the template. If for any reason you can't use the template in your browser, I recommend installing GIMP if you don't have Photoshop or something similar, which has support for alpha and can therefore properly place the template in the foreground while still showing the car. My sympathies if you're using a computer with only one browser where you don't have permission to install new programs. Like I said, I will try to get this working for IE next week.
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:18 AM   #95 (permalink)
Eco Sol
 
Shortie771's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Paradise, TX
Posts: 343

Lola - '11 Honda CR-Z EX
90 day: 42.95 mpg (US)
Thanks: 24
Thanked 88 Times in 52 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangustang View Post
Are you using Internet Explorer by any chance? I don't normally use Windows, so I don't test very much on IE. I recommend using Firefox or Chrome if anything (not just this tool) isn't working on the internet. I will look into that bug while I'm at my parents' house and have access to a Windows box next week.

It looks like you did things right in Paint. You just can't see everything because the car is in the foreground and covers up the template. If for any reason you can't use the template in your browser, I recommend installing GIMP if you don't have Photoshop or something similar, which has support for alpha and can therefore properly place the template in the foreground while still showing the car. My sympathies if you're using a computer with only one browser where you don't have permission to install new programs. Like I said, I will try to get this working for IE next week.
Thanks for the feedback. I am using IE, not that I can't install another browser; I have been using it my whole life and have not felt up for the frustration of learning a new browser.

I do have GIMP, but I suck at it lol. So I just use the transparet selection feature in Paint. That is how I did the top view image. I could do the same with the side view image as well in a matter of minutes, but is it really necessary to make the template the foreground? If so, why?
__________________




Best Tank = 42.72 mpg (in the 94 Del Sol)

CR-Z Current Mods:
Max Sidewall PSI
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shortie771 For This Useful Post:
sgtlethargic (03-03-2013)
Old 03-02-2013, 03:28 AM   #96 (permalink)
Eco Sol
 
Shortie771's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Paradise, TX
Posts: 343

Lola - '11 Honda CR-Z EX
90 day: 42.95 mpg (US)
Thanks: 24
Thanked 88 Times in 52 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamperBob View Post
Wow, great work! I wish I had that kind of skill with 3D imaging. I tried making a kammback for my Del Sol on Google Sketchup and I couldnt get the thing to work out at all. I couldnt figure out how to connect the kammback to the existing car model and I couldnt figure out why no matter what I did I couldnt make my kammback not have some tiny gap in it. I could keep making the gap smaller and smaller but I couldnt get it to completely close.

I finally gave up on it, but I would have really loved to finish that so I could run the model through a simulated wind tunnel.
__________________




Best Tank = 42.72 mpg (in the 94 Del Sol)

CR-Z Current Mods:
Max Sidewall PSI
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:22 AM   #97 (permalink)
Eco Sol
 
Shortie771's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Paradise, TX
Posts: 343

Lola - '11 Honda CR-Z EX
90 day: 42.95 mpg (US)
Thanks: 24
Thanked 88 Times in 52 Posts
Modified the template a bit to get that choppy-ness out of the white background. Also made the lines a bit more bold and changed the numbering so they are more visible. If you want to use this version instead here it is. If not, no big deal, I needed it this way for myself so it's not like I went out of my way doing it. Only takes a minute to throw it in the thread

It was pretty hard to read the #º's so they may be incorrect, but I think I got them right.

__________________




Best Tank = 42.72 mpg (in the 94 Del Sol)

CR-Z Current Mods:
Max Sidewall PSI

Last edited by Shortie771; 03-02-2013 at 05:33 AM..
  Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shortie771 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (03-02-2013), orangustang (03-02-2013)
Old 03-02-2013, 10:58 AM   #98 (permalink)
Saturn Freak
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond
Posts: 51

Freddy - '95 Saturn SL2
Team Saturn
90 day: 34.25 mpg (US)
Thanks: 7
Thanked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortie771 View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I am using IE, not that I can't install another browser; I have been using it my whole life and have not felt up for the frustration of learning a new browser.

I do have GIMP, but I suck at it lol. So I just use the transparet selection feature in Paint. That is how I did the top view image. I could do the same with the side view image as well in a matter of minutes, but is it really necessary to make the template the foreground? If so, why?
Thanks for confirming it's an IE issue. Different browsers don't behave much differently in terms of user interface. From a coding standpoint, though, the differences can be a real headache. My dad's the same way about not wanting to switch from IE. To each his own.

I guess it's not really necessary to have the template in the foreground. It's just nice to be able to see the whole profile of the ideal shape. Not that there's much most modders are willing/able to do when part of the car does extend beyond the template.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortie771 View Post
Modified the template a bit to get that choppy-ness out of the white background. Also made the lines a bit more bold and changed the numbering so they are more visible. If you want to use this version instead here it is. If not, no big deal, I needed it this way for myself so it's not like I went out of my way doing it. Only takes a minute to throw it in the thread

It was pretty hard to read the #º's so they may be incorrect, but I think I got them right.

I'm not really sure if that labeling is correct or not. The numbers along the bottom don't have a unit in the original, for instance. I'll look into it more when I have more time. If anyone else knows for sure, please weigh in.
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:47 PM   #99 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
aerohead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sanger,Texas,U.S.A.
Posts: 12,647
Thanks: 20,313
Thanked 6,289 Times in 3,893 Posts
labeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangustang View Post
Thanks for confirming it's an IE issue. Different browsers don't behave much differently in terms of user interface. From a coding standpoint, though, the differences can be a real headache. My dad's the same way about not wanting to switch from IE. To each his own.

I guess it's not really necessary to have the template in the foreground. It's just nice to be able to see the whole profile of the ideal shape. Not that there's much most modders are willing/able to do when part of the car does extend beyond the template.



I'm not really sure if that labeling is correct or not. The numbers along the bottom don't have a unit in the original, for instance. I'll look into it more when I have more time. If anyone else knows for sure, please weigh in.
The 10% section angles on top are correct and the 10% section position labeling is right on as well.(these lower values designate the percentage of the original aft-section of the 2.5:1 streamline body of revolution carried right down to the mirror-image position of the ground plane)
Nice work you two,thanks a lot!
PS I've brought the Gen-II 'Template' today for scanning.Perhaps it won't muddy the waters too much.
__________________
Photobucket album: http://s1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj622/aerohead2/
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aerohead For This Useful Post:
orangustang (03-02-2013)
Old 03-02-2013, 10:57 PM   #100 (permalink)
Saturn Freak
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond
Posts: 51

Freddy - '95 Saturn SL2
Team Saturn
90 day: 34.25 mpg (US)
Thanks: 7
Thanked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
The 10% section angles on top are correct and the 10% section position labeling is right on as well.(these lower values designate the percentage of the original aft-section of the 2.5:1 streamline body of revolution carried right down to the mirror-image position of the ground plane)
Nice work you two,thanks a lot!
PS I've brought the Gen-II 'Template' today for scanning.Perhaps it won't muddy the waters too much.
Thanks for confirming. I had a feeling you would show up to keep us straight. I will change the template now.

__________________
  Reply With Quote
Reply  Post New Thread


Thread Tools




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com