Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2013, 05:11 PM   #91 (permalink)
Permanent Lurker

Dáčenka - '10 Dacia / Renault Logan MCV 1.5 dCi (X90 k9k)
90 day: 47.08 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangustang View Post
Well, now that I've had some sleep, I was able to take care of this one. I also changed some of the code around so that there are still only four template versions instead of 8 (in case of slow connections). Getting ready to work on the rotation part now.
Great work. And I am glad I can say I couldn't do it better. Would you mind to take care of the project? As I said, I am not a real webcoder and this tool needs someone like you. If you don't mind, I have posted link to your version to the thread starter.

Thanks.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-27-2013, 05:49 PM   #92 (permalink)
Saturn Freak

Freddy - '95 Saturn SL2
Team Saturn
90 day: 34.25 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by seifrob View Post
Great work. And I am glad I can say I couldn't do it better. Would you mind to take care of the project? As I said, I am not a real webcoder and this tool needs someone like you. If you don't mind, I have posted link to your version to the thread starter.

Thanks.
I'd be honored. Thanks for laying the groundwork on this thing. Your code is really clean and easy to follow and modify.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:37 PM   #93 (permalink)
Eco Sol

My image would not upload into the tool so I copied the template and did it myself in Paint. Not sure if I did it right, but here is what I got for the Del Sol.

Side:

Top:

Best Tank = 42.72 mpg (in the 94 Del Sol)

CR-Z Current Mods:
Max Sidewall PSI

Last edited by Shortie771; 03-01-2013 at 04:00 PM..
Old 03-02-2013, 02:44 AM   #94 (permalink)
Saturn Freak

Freddy - '95 Saturn SL2
Team Saturn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shortie771 View Post
My image would not upload into the tool so I copied the template and did it myself in Paint.
Are you using Internet Explorer by any chance? I don't normally use Windows, so I don't test very much on IE. I recommend using Firefox or Chrome if anything (not just this tool) isn't working on the internet. I will look into that bug while I'm at my parents' house and have access to a Windows box next week.

It looks like you did things right in Paint. You just can't see everything because the car is in the foreground and covers up the template. If for any reason you can't use the template in your browser, I recommend installing GIMP if you don't have Photoshop or something similar, which has support for alpha and can therefore properly place the template in the foreground while still showing the car. My sympathies if you're using a computer with only one browser where you don't have permission to install new programs. Like I said, I will try to get this working for IE next week.
Old 03-02-2013, 03:18 AM   #95 (permalink)
Eco Sol

Quote:
Are you using Internet Explorer by any chance? I don't normally use Windows, so I don't test very much on IE. I recommend using Firefox or Chrome if anything (not just this tool) isn't working on the internet. I will look into that bug while I'm at my parents' house and have access to a Windows box next week.

It looks like you did things right in Paint. You just can't see everything because the car is in the foreground and covers up the template. If for any reason you can't use the template in your browser, I recommend installing GIMP if you don't have Photoshop or something similar, which has support for alpha and can therefore properly place the template in the foreground while still showing the car. My sympathies if you're using a computer with only one browser where you don't have permission to install new programs. Like I said, I will try to get this working for IE next week.
Thanks for the feedback. I am using IE, not that I can't install another browser; I have been using it my whole life and have not felt up for the frustration of learning a new browser.

I do have GIMP, but I suck at it lol. So I just use the transparet selection feature in Paint. That is how I did the top view image. I could do the same with the side view image as well in a matter of minutes, but is it really necessary to make the template the foreground? If so, why?

CR-Z Current Mods:
Max Sidewall PSI
The Following User Says Thank You to Shortie771 For This Useful Post:
sgtlethargic (03-03-2013)
Old 03-02-2013, 03:28 AM   #96 (permalink)
Eco Sol

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamperBob View Post
Wow, great work! I wish I had that kind of skill with 3D imaging. I tried making a kammback for my Del Sol on Google Sketchup and I couldnt get the thing to work out at all. I couldnt figure out how to connect the kammback to the existing car model and I couldnt figure out why no matter what I did I couldnt make my kammback not have some tiny gap in it. I could keep making the gap smaller and smaller but I couldnt get it to completely close.

I finally gave up on it, but I would have really loved to finish that so I could run the model through a simulated wind tunnel.

CR-Z Current Mods:
Max Sidewall PSI
Old 03-02-2013, 05:22 AM   #97 (permalink)
Eco Sol

Modified the template a bit to get that choppy-ness out of the white background. Also made the lines a bit more bold and changed the numbering so they are more visible. If you want to use this version instead here it is. If not, no big deal, I needed it this way for myself so it's not like I went out of my way doing it. Only takes a minute to throw it in the thread

It was pretty hard to read the #º's so they may be incorrect, but I think I got them right.

CR-Z Current Mods:
Max Sidewall PSI

Last edited by Shortie771; 03-02-2013 at 05:33 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shortie771 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (03-02-2013), orangustang (03-02-2013)
Old 03-02-2013, 10:58 AM   #98 (permalink)
Saturn Freak

Freddy - '95 Saturn SL2
Team Saturn
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. I am using IE, not that I can't install another browser; I have been using it my whole life and have not felt up for the frustration of learning a new browser.

I do have GIMP, but I suck at it lol. So I just use the transparet selection feature in Paint. That is how I did the top view image. I could do the same with the side view image as well in a matter of minutes, but is it really necessary to make the template the foreground? If so, why?
Thanks for confirming it's an IE issue. Different browsers don't behave much differently in terms of user interface. From a coding standpoint, though, the differences can be a real headache. My dad's the same way about not wanting to switch from IE. To each his own.

I guess it's not really necessary to have the template in the foreground. It's just nice to be able to see the whole profile of the ideal shape. Not that there's much most modders are willing/able to do when part of the car does extend beyond the template.

Quote:
Modified the template a bit to get that choppy-ness out of the white background. Also made the lines a bit more bold and changed the numbering so they are more visible. If you want to use this version instead here it is. If not, no big deal, I needed it this way for myself so it's not like I went out of my way doing it. Only takes a minute to throw it in the thread

It was pretty hard to read the #º's so they may be incorrect, but I think I got them right.

I'm not really sure if that labeling is correct or not. The numbers along the bottom don't have a unit in the original, for instance. I'll look into it more when I have more time. If anyone else knows for sure, please weigh in.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:47 PM   #99 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,199 Times in 4,637 Posts
labeling

Quote:
Thanks for confirming it's an IE issue. Different browsers don't behave much differently in terms of user interface. From a coding standpoint, though, the differences can be a real headache. My dad's the same way about not wanting to switch from IE. To each his own.

I guess it's not really necessary to have the template in the foreground. It's just nice to be able to see the whole profile of the ideal shape. Not that there's much most modders are willing/able to do when part of the car does extend beyond the template.

I'm not really sure if that labeling is correct or not. The numbers along the bottom don't have a unit in the original, for instance. I'll look into it more when I have more time. If anyone else knows for sure, please weigh in.
The 10% section angles on top are correct and the 10% section position labeling is right on as well.(these lower values designate the percentage of the original aft-section of the 2.5:1 streamline body of revolution carried right down to the mirror-image position of the ground plane)
Nice work you two,thanks a lot!
PS I've brought the Gen-II 'Template' today for scanning.Perhaps it won't muddy the waters too much.
orangustang (03-02-2013)
Old 03-02-2013, 10:57 PM   #100 (permalink)
Saturn Freak

Freddy - '95 Saturn SL2
Team Saturn
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
The 10% section angles on top are correct and the 10% section position labeling is right on as well.(these lower values designate the percentage of the original aft-section of the 2.5:1 streamline body of revolution carried right down to the mirror-image position of the ground plane)
Nice work you two,thanks a lot!
PS I've brought the Gen-II 'Template' today for scanning.Perhaps it won't muddy the waters too much.
Thanks for confirming. I had a feeling you would show up to keep us straight. I will change the template now.