Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2008, 05:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
More natural gas vehicles in the future?

After hearing about demand being almost doubled for the Honda Civic GX, I was surprised to come across this bit of news on GCC:

Quote:
Mercedes-Benz is putting its Sprinter 316 /516 NGT natural gas van into series production, with market launch targeted for May 2008. The company began showing prototypes of the Sprinter NGT at vehicle shows last year. (Earlier post.)

Although Daimler has offered a natural gas version of the Sprinter since 1997, this is the first time the company has built a compressed natural gas version of the Sprinter from first principles. In the past, the NGT Sprinters have used a conversion from a gasoline engine—the M 111 E 23.

The engine on the Sprinter NGT is also applied in Mercedes-Benz passenger cars. Mercedes-Benz uses a bivalent system—the basic engine, a four-cylinder unit with a displacement of 1.8 liters, will also run on gasoline, extending the range of the Sprinter up to 1,200 kilometers (746 miles).
I just spent 16 hours in one of these vans, just wish I had had the option of calculating the mileage for it, . Definitely good rides though.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-14-2008, 05:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I do hope so. There is a good market for them. Even with limited refueling stations. The Honda Civic GX has a home refueling station which helps.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
SVOboy -

I heard from someone "in the know" that NG is the big wave of the future too, but I am skeptical. Here in SoCal it is easy because we already have a decent NG infrastructure. But, I can't see that there is enough to go around. As one component in a multi-pronged solution, I could imagine this becoming maybe 5-10% of the cars being driven.

I like the bi-fuel option on the Benz. That's a good idea.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 03-14-2008, 06:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
The Sprinter has been a great alternative to the Econoline and Full-Sized GM Vans (Express). I'm hoping the new (to the U.S., in 2010) Ford Transit Connect will be a hit too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
Wonder what their cents/mile is, what with natural gas at record high prices too.
Good question. Since it involves considerably less refining, it should be cheaper. The savings really comes from the long-life and durability of the high-compression engines. This is an old study from 1999, but it shows NGVs to be ~25% more efficient. If you take the price of gasoline and Natural Gas from this examination, and extrapolate it to today's figures, it should remain constant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H4MM3R View Post
I do hope so. There is a good market for them. Even with limited refueling stations. The Honda Civic GX has a home refueling station which helps.
I've wanted a Phill System and a GX for a while now. It would need to be an early 1.6L with a swapped manual gearbox But the only one's I can find are beat-up city or Airport fleet vehicles. Might be worth a shot -- but the Phill isn't approved in my State (yet )

RH77

_
_
Old 03-14-2008, 06:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

The problem with bi fuel systems is that the engine becomes extremely in efficient when running on natural gas. Natural gas has much high octane, lower energy content and takes up move intake volume than gasoline. A pure natural gas engine like the one found on the Civic GX runs much higher compression and completely different engine tuning compared to the gas engine.
The US has much more natural gas than than oil. There are massive deposits in the Gulf of Mexico and the Atlantic coast of Florida. Natural gas could replace oil if we had the economy incentives.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjts1 View Post
The problem with bi fuel systems is that the engine becomes extremely in efficient when running on natural gas. Natural gas has much high octane, lower energy content and takes up move intake volume than gasoline. A pure natural gas engine like the one found on the Civic GX runs much higher compression and completely different engine tuning compared to the gas engine.
The US has much more natural gas than than oil. There are massive deposits in the Gulf of Mexico and the Atlantic coast of Florida. Natural gas could replace oil if we had the economy incentives.
What blows my mind is when they burn off Natural Gas to get at the Oil.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

tjts1~ Natural Gas Utility Companies, would be another place to look, too.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

Gasoline civic engine
Engine Type In-Line 4-Cylinder
Engine Block/Cylinder Head Aluminum-Alloy
Displacement (cc) 1799
Horsepower @ rpm 140 @ 6300
Torque (lb.-ft. @ rpm) 128 @ 4300
Redline (rpm) 6800
Bore and Stroke (mm) 81 x 87.3
Compression Ratio 10.5:1
Valve Train 16-Valve SOHC i-VTEC®

Natural gas civic engine
Engine Type In-Line 4-Cylinder
Engine Block/Cylinder Head Aluminum-Alloy
Displacement (cc) 1799
Horsepower @ rpm (SAE net) 113 @ 6300
Torque (lb.-ft. @ rpm) 109 @ 4300
Bore and Stroke (mm) 81 x 87.3
Compression Ratio 12.5:1
Valve Train 16-Valve SOHC i-VTEC®
Old 03-14-2008, 07:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Liberti

Thunderbird - '96 Ford Thunderbird
90 day: 27.75 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjts1 View Post
The problem with bi fuel systems is that the engine becomes extremely in efficient when running on natural gas.
That could probably be solved with a little effort, though. Two different fuel maps and a turbocharger or variable valve timing would probably go long ways. I'd like to do a quad-fuel conversion (NG, ethanol, methanol, gasoline) to cover all the bases. Can never be too prepared...

Quote:
Wyoming has a ton too. Open land there is being pockmarked by thousands of wells. I guess it might be a good short term solution, but it'll only buy time.

- LostCause
Old 03-15-2008, 11:05 AM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Ze Future Beam - '00 honda insight
90 day: 66.23 mpg (US)
Does Dartmouth have one of these?

Is that how you got down for the Rutgers Cycling Event?

Pretty Cool, I hope we get natural gas busses/taxis in ny soon, there is a filling station going up, and the pollution is nasty.