Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2009, 01:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
Almost fuel free!

Also, I think that street tires are available for the Zuma, rather than the rough-tread tires that come stock, which might help fuel economy some.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-02-2009, 08:04 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Local climate conditions can greatly vary an engines mixture requirements. Even a morning setting can be too rich for the afternoon. As with most cars, manufactures often tune for a middle of the road situation.

As eco86 suggests, unless your willing to remove you plug often to check fuel/air ratios, probably best not to lean out. Needle jet controls up to mid throttle, main jet from mid to full throttle....

Re loss of oil by leaning out. Most scoots now are oil injected.

So unless you are running a premix( mixing your oil with the gas) oil entering an engine will not change with smaller jets. UNLESS you improve performance so much that the throttle is twisted less for a given speed...less twist, less oil injected....the oil pump can usually be turned up very easily, or by buying expensive oils, less will often do

Bottom line. Scooter tuning is a broad area, consisting of many aspects interrelating with each other that for a newbie usually results in engine rebuilds, bad decisions and frustration. Even my friend who has a global performance scooter part company has given me bad advice, and I have screwed up often when I used to race scooters.

Try scooterattack too. Those Germans have made a religion out of modifying(for performance) scooters
Old 08-03-2009, 10:34 AM   #13 (permalink)
Almost fuel free!

Oops, yes, most scooters are oil injected now. I've been premixing because the oil pump on my scoot failed and killed the engine.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:44 AM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
I have seen a few silica rubber touring tires for scooters, they are a low rolling resistance tire that still gets good grip.
I have switched back and forth with Amsoil in my scooters and motorcycles and altho hard to say for sure that they gave an increase in mileage it did give an increase in speed.
I also run an oiled foam air filter, because they catch more dirt then anything else I've found and wearing out your engine is not a good way to save money, you can also wash the foam filters and reuse them.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:46 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Check out what Craig Vetter has been up to lately...
Old 08-16-2009, 03:49 PM   #16 (permalink)
Yamaha C3 Scooter Rider

Yamaha C3 Scooter - '07 yamaha C3 Scooter
90 day: 113.67 mpg (US)
Send a message via Yahoo to gabe502000
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflame View Post
The larger tyre will do those improvements all on in own

Please dont confuse me with facts.... but explain how Amsoil increases FE?

C'mon now!

Just coz you got posted figures dont mean they are correct? Just as someone who aint got no figures is wrong.

Thats a faulty syllogism
I've been figuring my fuel mileage out to three decimel points since my scooter was new. At my 2000 mile Service I went to a taller rear tire(130/90-10) and switched to synthetic lubes. I'd just topped up my tank that morning and the next fill up showed 4mpg more. plus smoother running, and the power felt better, with a couple oo more mph top speed. Obvioiusly the taller tire relaxed the rpms and gave more smoothness and mpg. But the synthetic lubes helped about as much. I just like Amsoil products.... Just sold a '90 Pontiac Grand Am with 252,000 miles on it that I'd been using Mobil 1 15w-50 in since it was new.It still got 29mpg on the highway. I've been impressed with synthetic lubes since I was involved with Army aviation in the mid-70s... It would be 20 degrees (F) outside, and if you got sloppy and spilled some of the synthetic oil they used in all of their helicopters on the ramp, if you didn't clean it up right away, it would soon form a big thin puddle! That's how it is inside of your cold engine. When you start it up the synthetic oil is already headed through oil passages to bearing surfaces while "Dino"s " still in bed! Gabe