Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Events & Meet-ups
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2015, 01:56 PM   #91 (permalink)
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustygirl View Post
four days later and all I can think about is the great people I met at the GGP and what can be done to the car for more MPG! and of course vacuumed formed, ABS, wheel skirts like Brucepicks

Here is a link to the pictures my navigator Pam took of the event.

Photos - NortheastWheelsEvents.com - Car Show Calendar

And a video of a lap around the track in Bridget

Green Grand Prix 2015 A lap around Watkins Glen in Bridget the MG Midget - NortheastWheelsEvents.com - Car Show Calendar
rustygirl,

You give my rear wheel "pants" more credit than they deserve. They are Coroplast, with an aluminum bar stock strip at bottom edge to define the curve, and plenty of duct tape. But I do believe they work very well.

Ah, but maybe you want vacuumed formed, ABS, wheel skirts for Bridget the Midget. Go for it!

And I find like you - I completely enjoyed meeting up with you and all other fellow EcoModders, including apparently some newly minted ones. And I keep replaying the weekend in my mind's eye, and making plans for future improvements to mpg and rally scores.

Last edited by brucepick; 04-21-2015 at 05:27 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-21-2015, 08:30 PM   #92 (permalink)
Changfa diesel + Suzuki

Centurion - '74 FIAT X1/9 Centurion Full Race DNA
Last 3: 143.5 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucepick View Post
Was that Peter Cutler your navigator, in the group photo I posted about one page back?
You are correct Bruce - that is Pete in the group photo located between myself and Gasoline Fumes.
~CrazyJerry
Old 04-21-2015, 08:50 PM   #93 (permalink)
Changfa diesel + Suzuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustygirl View Post
four days later and all I can think about is the great people I met at the GGP and what can be done to the car for more MPG! and of course vacuumed formed, ABS, wheel skirts like Brucepicks

Here is a link to the pictures my navigator Pam took of the event.

Photos - NortheastWheelsEvents.com - Car Show Calendar

And a video of a lap around the track in Bridget

Green Grand Prix 2015 A lap around Watkins Glen in Bridget the MG Midget - NortheastWheelsEvents.com - Car Show Calendar
rustygirl,
Bridget was a hit! Especially nice was the interior which was tastefully done:

Enjoyed meeting the entire team and our time went too fast. I had mentioned a reference to a kubota powered MG from the past and the link to the relevant pdf pages is below.
Take care, stay in touch, and thanks for sharing your build online and at the Green Grand Prix!!!
~CrazyJerry
( Kubota Powered Midget pdf pages )
The Following User Says Thank You to changzuki For This Useful Post:
rustygirl (04-23-2015)
Old 04-22-2015, 10:16 AM   #94 (permalink)
OCD Master EcoModder

Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
This just in - I received an email from Bob Gillespie of the GGP.

First in Class for mpg - modified four cylinder gasoline engines - goes to Mike Loveland, driving his modded '93 Civic VX. To be posted to the GGP web site soon; this year's results aren't posted there yet.

Good going, Mike!
Old 04-22-2015, 10:19 AM   #95 (permalink)
OCD Master EcoModder

Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
This also just in - with my brother Steve navigating, we took second place in Combined Overall Rally scoring. I believe that combines the lap times scores for the morning Stage 1 event with the Stage 3 afternoon scores. I have absolutely no idea how they compute those together.
Old 04-22-2015, 06:28 PM   #96 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by changzuki View Post
Congrats to sheepdog 44 at the 2015 Green Grand Prix. He was able to pilot Ruby Sparks to victory lane - way to go!!

(Photo courtesy of Peter Cutler / Team Centurion 2015 GGP)
~CrazyJerry

Bit of a background story: Me and DrGreenThumb were the only two Insights entered so we kept going back and forth with our mpg numbers as the event unfolded. At the end of the day my FCD read 75.4mpg and the fill said 75.32mpg. DrGreenThumb's said 76.2mpg but the fill said something like 48-55mpg. There must have been a fuel fill error by an official at some point. Our cars were judged by fill measurements, even though our FCD's were apart by 0.8mpg. So it was a mixed feeling to get the award for first in class.

Which is why i wanted to get a bottle of wine to give to him as consolation. (really, i have never drunk a drop of alcohol.)

I had really low expectations comparing my car to previous MT Insight entrants getting about 65mpg in past years. Climbing the long hill to get to the track i got 40mpg. It wasn't until the first two laps that i knew i had a shot at pulling into the mid 70's mpg. I was averaging 80mpg lap to lap and i just had one eye watching my trip meter climb into 50's, 60's and 70's as the day wore on.

I did 160% over epa in my CVT Insight. On the track you never need to use your battery, in fact if you have to use it i would say your doing something wrong unless you can manually control it with mima. I probably put in more charge than i had when i first started at the gas station.

I think the CVT isn't so far disadvantaged. Even without leanburn or engine off coasting. Except if you were to P&G in the MT version i think you would get 80-100+ mpg. Lean burn is much better than putting in enough throttle just to overcome engine braking. But the hilly layout out of the track equally favored driving with load as much as lean burn though. Saving fuel going uphill is more important than saving fractions going downhill. Which meant not having to change gears helped. I'd ease into the gas on turn 1 doing 125mpg gaining speed downhill. As i approached the bottom i held 50mpg which was enough to reach 55+mph, and i just held 50mpg the third of the track that was uphill, seamlessly bleeding off speed and holding at 50mpg at 40mph. That's where the CVT payed off the most.

The bottom hill caused a bottleneck a few times as most cars did not drive with load properly and i was going 10-15mph faster than most other cars (only at that point of course )

75.4 mpg (+/- 1mpg) i think is the baseline for the CVT Insight. I don't think it could be topped without light-weighting and aerodynamic modifications. My best tank with the car was 73.5 mpg.

Last edited by sheepdog 44; 04-22-2015 at 07:27 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sheepdog 44 For This Useful Post:
brucepick (04-22-2015), NeilBlanchard (04-22-2015)
Old 04-22-2015, 07:19 PM   #97 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Buran - '00 Honda Insight Dx/AC

Mr. Boring - '10 Toyota Prius
Oh, that hurts to see 46.9mpg. I dont know if i could get that low in January at -10°. Had a great time tho. Next year ill make sure the fill station clicks twice, maybe three times.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:37 PM   #98 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Civic - '93 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 74.19 mpg (US)
Results are in!

Results Are now posted on the Green Grand Prix Website with scoring from the different events.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:48 PM   #99 (permalink)
Changfa diesel + Suzuki

Hey Mike!
I predicted you'd do very well after last year but, seriously - congrats!! 116.7mpg!! Take care of that blue baby - well done!
~CrazyJerry
Old 04-22-2015, 10:14 PM   #100 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mloveland78 View Post
Results Are now posted on the Green Grand Prix Website with scoring from the different events.
Please do a write up on how you did it! Impressive result!