Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Events & Meet-ups
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2015, 10:40 AM   #131 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Brucepick,
Its not a volvo unit as they used laycock's. I need to search the searia number but im pretty sure its a borg warner as they were common up until the 70s. It has a huge electric solenoid on the side That can be converted to manual. The internet talks about how they can be damaged if not connected correctly. Once i understand how it works and how not to break it i can figure out how to divorce it from the 3 speed its attached to. Before that however i need to make sure it will fit under the car. 30% is a huge overdrive. I drove one in a jeepster. Its a great option in the old cars. In the mean time I'm preparing a scooter for the vetter challenge. I may start a thread on it if i can figure out an easy way to downsize images.
Cheers
Rustygirl

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-09-2015, 10:42 AM   #132 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Oh...the 30% is huge...not the actual overdrive. Its kinda small
Old 05-09-2015, 08:44 PM   #133 (permalink)
Changfa diesel + Suzuki

Centurion - '74 FIAT X1/9 Centurion Full Race DNA
Last 3: 143.5 mpg (US)
rustygirl writes: "In other news I found a Borg Warner overdrive in some of my dad’s old stuff. 30% overdrive! Will it fit???"
That's a great find! After having a straight 4-speed and then having one with the overdrive, I'd make it fit, and 30% is huge especially on a diesel. Any idea what cc the engine is in the MG down the road? Good find too!
~CrazyJerry
Old 05-09-2015, 09:53 PM   #134 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

He said he followed the plans closely to the pint of finding an nos toyota trans. I didnt ask what size engine he used but he said it was for a generator. On the overdrive , pictures show r10 or r11 will be cast on the housing if its a borg warner. Gonna check it when i get home. And it can be converted to manual operation so maybe i can have twin gear shifts! The 6 speed and the OD, 12 gears!
Old 05-09-2015, 10:29 PM   #135 (permalink)
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
That would be sweet.

Old 05-09-2015, 11:36 PM   #136 (permalink)
diesel doer

As UltArc can attest, using a gas pump to get the accuracy a properly run event like the GGP requires is not such a good idea. A simple accurate measure can be made with a float switch, an LED, a AAA battery and a 3/16" aluminum rod. As the name implies, the float switch has a tiny float which rises when it hits liquid, allowing the LED to light.
Fill the tank until the pump clicks off then run this device a fixed distance down the fill pipe and add gas from a gallon gas can until the LED lights. This would still give a reasonable fill rate at the gas station but would fulfill the need for accuracy required by an event of this type. Except, of course, for Crazy Jerry. Does anyone have a calibrated eye dropper in their medicine cabinet they could donate?

Last edited by BobS; 05-09-2015 at 11:58 PM.. Reason: spelling errors
Old 05-10-2015, 09:55 PM   #137 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

At work we have a sensor that detects back pressure of a few psi. A small tube could be put in the tank. Electrcity around gasoline makes me nervous. If anyone likes the idea I'll find the specs And post them. The sensor does close contacts. I wired an led to it for testing when i had the demo unit. We were sensing ink.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:45 PM   #138 (permalink)
diesel doer

Re electricity around gasoline. A AAA battery is about the least sparky electric source one can have. And it doesn't have to be anywhere near the tank, only the float switch does. You could run a line 10 feet or more out from the pump and it would still work.
The float switch is a float with a magnet attached. It rises around a reed switch. The reed switch is a tiny piece of steel next to a piece of non-magnetic material like brass or copper. When the magnet on the float nears the steel, it pulls it against the other metal piece, closing the switch. The reed switch is totally enclosed within a small glass tube which is itself surrounded by plastic so no sparks.
The only possibility of a spark would be from static electricity, the only possible danger here. And that danger is always present.
Old 05-26-2015, 12:15 PM   #139 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Civic - '93 Honda Civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 74.19 mpg (US)
Lap Times

Just wanted to include my lap times as well for analysis. I did much better this year. got a bunch of laps "right" thanks to my great navigator!

Old 06-02-2015, 09:26 PM   #140 (permalink)
Growin a stash

I think historians will pore over results of the Green Grand Prix in 20 years, analyzing how all these alternative fuels stacked up as we transition to an electric future. Cool stuff.

2024 Chevy Bolt

Previous:
2015 Nissan Leaf S, 164 mpge
Reply  Post New Thread