Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2017, 01:21 PM   #251 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
update

*Monday,Toyota said next day delivery for a $66 parking brake cable.I went ahead.
*'came in Tuesday,got it installed,and got everything ready for muffler and inspection.Also beat out some of the nose dents and replaced 3-sections of foam airdam.
*Wednesday,got new muffler/state inspection ($111),and registration ($76).And got the aero kit installed (including the new hood blister extensions),save for the belly pan.
*The charging system idiot light came on.
*Thursday morning I took the 4-pieces of belly pan to the car wash for a good cleaning.Got home and I demolished what was left of the rotted plywood surrounding the bedcover and got Spirit backed into the 'shop'.
*Friday I began fiberglassing the aerodynamic alterations to the bedcover,'til I ran out of material.'went to town,got cash,hit WalMart and got $66 worth of resin,glass cloth and mat.
*'picked up more masking tape this AM and will be ready to resume fiberglass Sunday.
*I'll ignore the charging system for awhile and use the Insight for commuting.It's easier on fuel anyway.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
The meetup with BamZipPow was great.Dark Shadow is more impressive than ever!
Bam's quite the 'chef' as well! (he left me with goodies from his kitchen )

BamZipPow (04-17-2017)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-18-2017, 01:26 PM   #252 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Woody - '96 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 23.82 mpg (US)

Avion and Woody - '96 Dodge/Avion Ram 2500/5th wheel combo
90 day: 15.1 mpg (US)

TD eye eye eye - '03 Volkswagen Beetle GLS
90 day: 49.05 mpg (US)

Mule - '07 Dodge Ram 3500 ST
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
*Monday,Toyota said next day delivery for a $66 parking brake cable.I went ahead.
*'came in Tuesday,got it installed,and got everything ready for muffler and inspection.Also beat out some of the nose dents and replaced 3-sections of foam airdam.
*Wednesday,got new muffler/state inspection ($111),and registration ($76).And got the aero kit installed (including the new hood blister extensions),save for the belly pan.
*The charging system idiot light came on.
*Thursday morning I took the 4-pieces of belly pan to the car wash for a good cleaning.Got home and I demolished what was left of the rotted plywood surrounding the bedcover and got Spirit backed into the 'shop'.
*Friday I began fiberglassing the aerodynamic alterations to the bedcover,'til I ran out of material.'went to town,got cash,hit WalMart and got $66 worth of resin,glass cloth and mat.
*'picked up more masking tape this AM and will be ready to resume fiberglass Sunday.
*I'll ignore the charging system for awhile and use the Insight for commuting.It's easier on fuel anyway.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
The meetup with BamZipPow was great.Dark Shadow is more impressive than ever!
Bam's quite the 'chef' as well! (he left me with goodies from his kitchen )
yes, the truck sits here too, unless it is needed. Beetles do the most driving

2007 Dodge Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 with 6MT
2003 TDI Beetle
2002 TDI Beetle

currently parked - 1996 Dodge 2500 Cummins Turbodiesel
Custom cab, auto, 3.55 gears
The Following User Says Thank You to skyking For This Useful Post:
aerohead (04-01-2017)
Old 03-18-2017, 02:23 PM   #253 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Yay for Beetles.

I decided to adjust my valves (I even bought a new feeler gauge). The #1 exhaust lost adjustment immediately, in the distance from my carport to the street. So I put it up on the ramps and readjusted and tightened it.

I took the recycling to the Central Processing Facility in Glenwood (2-3 miles) and it happened again. But this time it was the #1 intake. I ran both lock-nuts over a flat file and reinstalled them, and since then I've made a run upriver.

I'll check them again soon-ish and file the other three cylinder's lock nuts. Out of pocket six bucks for the feeler gauge, that's about all the expense I can handle.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
aerohead (04-01-2017), skyking (04-09-2017)
Old 03-25-2017, 04:26 PM   #254 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

l'il update

I'm still working on the driver's side aero shell side fairing.I've got it completely defined and one layer of glass and mat.
I'll pickup more glass on the way home today and get back into it tomorrow.
It's gonna look very much like this CFD/road-tested cap,designed by a US NAVY Captain,in his Master's Thesis,sent to me by Bondo.

It will better allow for Morelli's 'ring-vortex' phantom tail phenomena.
BamZipPow (04-01-2017), freebeard (03-25-2017)
Old 04-01-2017, 01:18 PM   #255 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

update

The 1st side of Poco Loco is essentially complete except for body filler/smoothing,etc..
The 2nd side fairing's railtop and shell integration is complete and I'll begin the new skin Sunday if a tornado hasn't carried it all away.
I picked up a used,well-padded king-size bed comforter at a thrift store this AM for $10,and will use it to protect the nose of Spirit from hail damage when I move it forward to allow skinning the new boat tail in about a week.
I also did a fiberglass repair to one of the belly pan panels which had suffered a fracture.
When I move the truck I'll re-install the belly panels which were removed for the annual inspection and new muffler.
My brother thinks that the brushes in the alternator may be stuck and recommended I bang the alternator with a rubber hammer next time I have the engine running,to see if the idiot light will go off.
Spring came about 2-months early this year and I'm having to juggle community yard work in between storms,which competes with time for fiberglass.
BamZipPow (04-01-2017), California98Civic (04-09-2017)
Old 04-01-2017, 03:40 PM   #256 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Quote:
My brother thinks that the brushes in the alternator may be stuck and recommended I bang the alternator with a rubber hammer next time I have the engine running,to see if the idiot light will go off.
If the light doesn't go off, you just need to get a bigger hammer.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
aerohead (04-08-2017), skyking (04-09-2017)
Old 04-08-2017, 12:27 PM   #257 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

update

One more day of glassing and the aero shell mods will essentially be complete.For the near term I'm not going to make any effort to make 'em 'pretty.'
They're good enough for DARKO,and will probably see no more than a coat of primer.
More rain is on the way and as soon as that's ended,I'll get into the new boat tail shell.
She needs 2-trap doors,one upper,one lower which will allow me to stand up inside the tail to lift it off and onto Spirit by myself.This complicates the build but it's got to happen if I'm gonna live with the thing.
I'll also not focus on cosmetics with the tail but rather fabricate as many new mods as I can .
Next will be the stinger which will attach to the tail to get Spirits aft-body out to 85% of a full tail.This will simulate both the long-tail and a full boat-tailed trailer with gap-fillers which I can 'fake' BamZipPow's 1-wheel trailer when the faux wheel/skirt is tagged on at DARKO.
At 85% I can expect Morelli's fluid tail/phantom tail,as research has already demonstrated this performance by at least four different investigators.
I'll get Cds for the 'trailer',a full boat tail,a truncated boat tail,and no boat tail.
Plenty to do!
BamZipPow (04-17-2017), freebeard (04-08-2017)
Old 04-09-2017, 12:36 PM   #258 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Woody - '96 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT
Team Cummins
90 day: 23.82 mpg (US)

Avion and Woody - '96 Dodge/Avion Ram 2500/5th wheel combo
90 day: 15.1 mpg (US)

TD eye eye eye - '03 Volkswagen Beetle GLS
90 day: 49.05 mpg (US)

Mule - '07 Dodge Ram 3500 ST
I'm working 5 10's now, new job. DARKO was but a dim hope for me anyway, and now it's off the table. This bums me a bit. Go get em Phil, for the team

2007 Dodge Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 with 6MT
2003 TDI Beetle
2002 TDI Beetle

currently parked - 1996 Dodge 2500 Cummins Turbodiesel
Custom cab, auto, 3.55 gears
The Following User Says Thank You to skyking For This Useful Post:
aerohead (04-15-2017)
Old 04-09-2017, 03:08 PM   #259 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Aerohead, your photobucket link in your signature comes up without photos when I click. Is it my device or is there nothing there by your design right now?
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
aerohead (04-15-2017)
Old 04-15-2017, 12:20 PM   #260 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

right now

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
Aerohead, your photobucket link in your signature comes up without photos when I click. Is it my device or is there nothing there by your design right now?
I've taken a few snapshots of the build but haven't had them scanned into the computer yet.
It was only yesterday that I finally committed to a design for the rear bulkhead on the new boat tail,which will also define the new stinger.
The rear corners of the 'square' truck bed are a never ending source of frustration when it comes to integrating a tail onto the truck,always requiring aerodynamic compromises.
I'm hopeful that this new aft-body will have better performance than the original,but ' won't know 'til after actual measurement.
I'll try to get new pics online next Saturday.

BamZipPow (06-09-2017)
Reply  Post New Thread