Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2013, 09:38 AM   #71 (permalink)
Burn lean and prosper\\//

VLX - '93 Honda Civic VLX
Team Honda
90 day: 51.1 mpg (US)
I pulled the diff cover off, got the old funky oil out and reinstalled cover with new oil. I'm getting some of the little pieces together here and there. Starter, water pump, starter solenoid, and fresh battery cables are on their way. Pre 72 amc 6 bangers had the starter on the driver side and the solenoid was on the starter. Starting in 72 they changed transmission design and mounted the starter on the passenger side using a solenoid mounted on the fender well. I'm going to convert this car since I'm using a 72+ 258. I'm also going to switch the battery to the passenger side.

I found original style brass radiators at a company that I've used before. American parts depot. Problem is they are close to 400 with shipping. I got a radiator for an 80s jeep cj with a 258. Almost mounts up perfectly with minimal modification!!! I have to drill 2 holes that's it the other 2 line up. Hoses are on the same side. It was 210 from advance. It's plastic tank with aluminum core but these can be had in the brass design for a little more $. Here's some pics of mockup.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-02-2013, 09:42 AM   #72 (permalink)

Team Honda
Oh also I was at the machine shop last week and he had the block stripped and was boring it. Should e ordering rebuild parts within the week. I also took the seats out of the car. I'm currently in the process of ordering covers from automotiveinteriors.com they have the original rambler dimensions and make the legit covers that install like the factory with hog rings and burlap. I've installed covers like these before in my nova. 570 bus for front and rear thats less than half the price than if I would have gotten the original material and had a shop sew them up
Old 07-22-2013, 10:59 AM   #73 (permalink)

Team Honda
My block is bored waiting for him to hone it, resize the rods, and turn the crank then he can order me some parts. Finally got the camshaft after a month. They had to custom grind it. I guess a lot of people dont order the high mpg camshafts haha. It's an iskedendrian mile-a-more. Rpm range is 1000-3500. Should build great torque at that 1600-2000 cruise rpm. I'm using crower camsaver lifters. For those who don't know flat tappet camshafts have had a LOT of problems in the past 10 years. Oil manufactures started taking zinc out of their oils so people started wearing flat tappet camshafts like crazy. The solution is run racing oils that contains the additive in it or put a zinc additive in at every oil change. These crower camsaver lifters provide extra oil to the surfaces. Id rather spend the extra money and have it reliable than change the cam after 5k miles. One guy wore a comp cams in a 258 after 44 miles!!! In addition to that I'm using an assembly lube that is rich in zinc.

I also got my seat covers!!! They look awesome!! The teal matches the cars paint perfectly. I stripped one seat frame down to see what I got. Looks like I'll sandblast them and por15 them, install new inner springs, fit it with new burlap, and custom make new foam cushions. It's gona be fun!!!

Old 09-06-2013, 04:54 PM   #74 (permalink)

Team Honda
so my engines been at the machine shop since june. i was hoping to get this thing at least running before winter. looks like that wont happen. im still collecting parts. i got the entire fuel system under control. im using an electric fuel pump activated by a fuel pump relay via an oil pressure safety switch. that way i can leave the key on engine off and listen to the radio and i wont have the fuel pump buzzing away until i crank it over. ive got all the short block accessories. (oil pump, oil pickup, balancer, timing chain, cam and lifters)

on a good note the engine block is totally done and i gave the machinist money to order a new crank kit, pistons,rings, and bearings. i just need to get the dang thing back so i can build it!!

nothing new other than that. i have some gauges picked out that will look vintage but be modern tech. i have a nice tach, mpg vaccum gauge, and oil pressure gauge picked out all the same size.

i changed my pictures over to a different album in my photobucket so ill have to fix that when i get a chance
Old 09-06-2013, 05:28 PM   #75 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slownugly View Post
i changed my pictures over to a different album in my photobucket so ill have to fix that when i get a chance
Glad this project is not dead. We all know how life gets in the way. I'd say don't sweat retro-reposting the pics... I'd love to see the new photos as she gets closer to running. Good luck!
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 09-06-2013, 05:41 PM   #76 (permalink)

Team Honda
Thanks! When I get to a stand still is when I usually lose interest in projects. I'm gona keep pushing through. I have about 4 other projects to choose from after this one haha. Anyways I'll post some pics of a parts pile I've accumulated.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:54 AM   #77 (permalink)

Team Honda

Old 10-09-2013, 12:34 PM   #78 (permalink)
EcoPlotting

Sliver - '12 Hyundai Elantra limited
Team Hyundai
90 day: 35.1 mpg (US)

t-ruck - '06 chevy Colorado Lt
90 day: 21.88 mpg (US)

Bob - '09 Harley Sportster Nightster
90 day: 38.88 mpg (US)

Pearl - '14 Toyota Prius C 3
90 day: 48.1 mpg (US)
I just have to say that this is an awesome project. Keep up the good work!

Old 10-09-2013, 12:46 PM   #79 (permalink)

Team Honda
Thanks, I'm really kicking into gear. I just camped out at the Carlisle swap meet and that really lit the fire under my a$$. I almost bought a 63 nova to tool around in but I gota get this rolling.

A ton of parts are coming. I started doing the seats. I cleaned the rust off of the seat frame. It's ready for paint. I just got the burlap today. Waiting for cotton filler padding and seat foams. Here is the seat cover loosely fit over the frame to make sure the dimensions are good.

More pics coming. Sinc my album was switched I might just post every picture I have of it on one new post. A lot less headache. Stay tuned!!
Old 10-09-2013, 12:53 PM   #80 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

A recent episode of the show "Muscle Car" showed how to repair seat frames and springs, in case that would help you.

Reply  Post New Thread