Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2012, 02:00 PM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
noses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven7 View Post

1987 GM Sunraycer by Tyler Linner, on Flickr

Oldsmobile Aerotech by Tyler Linner, on Flickr

1988 Pontiac Banshee Concept by Tyler Linner, on Flickr

Notice that these all have smooth, rounded noses.

I taped the gaps on the Probe for awhile and found no noticeable improvement. However if the nose were reworked I'm sure it could do better. It's just that the time/money would be better spent making a full, smooth belly pan.
there's no doubt that the nose helped on Sunraycer,although it was a consequence of shrink-wrapping the occupant while integrating into the solar array.Sunraycer would be nothing without its tail.
On the AEROTECH,I have no Cd for the short -tail depicted,although a member posted Cd 0.19 for the Long-tail version.No better than Mercedes Boxfish,although great compared with the Cd 0.57 March INDYCAR hidden under the body (downforce really kills you at the pump).
As to The Banshee,I've never seen drag data published for that car so we learn nothing from GM on that one.

The Following User Says Thank You to aerohead For This Useful Post:
NeilBlanchard (01-07-2012)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-07-2012, 02:40 PM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Misc.

*Hucho credits the wheel-less Aptera with Cd 0.05
*Sailplanes are governed by skin friction drag
*Automobiles are governed by separation drag
*Cd 0.12 and less are routine numbers for streamliners on 'real' tires at Bonneville.
*Sunraycer scored Cd 0.089 with wheels fairings
*the 1957 MG EX 181 registered Cd 0.12 on 'real' tires
*Sharp edges are to mitigate shockwave drag for ballistic vehicles.
*Ogival noses can begin to play an important role with automobiles at 250 mph as the car enters the compressibility effects of transonic flow
*NUNA is a purpose-built,body-in-white design for the specific purpose of winning a closed-course,limited velocity competition
*the 'Template' is a streamlining tool to correct flow separation with production automobiles operating on public thoroughfares.Wind tunnel investigations have demonstrated Cd 0.12 with vehicles with the 'Template' aft-body.
*Sub-0.12 coefficients of aerodynamic drag can result from wheel streamlining.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aerohead For This Useful Post:
drmiller100 (01-07-2012), landsailor (01-07-2012), TEiN (01-12-2012)
Old 01-08-2012, 01:39 AM   #23 (permalink)
A Legend in his Own Mind

Hi Aerohead,
Good observations. I imagine you are thinking about more than you are actually writing. For example, you mention the wheel-less Aptera/Morelli shape which (several sources agree) is a .05 -.06 shape, as is a typical bomb, torpedo, etc. But what you did not mention is that the actual CD with wheels, suspension, ground proximity and drive shafts is at least .15, and the X Prize test results suggest a little higher than that -- although I don't have an accurate frontal area.

Quote:
*Sailplanes are governed by skin friction drag
Sailplanes are all about lift/drag, and fuselage drag is a small part of the overall drag. Induced drag is the big part. If you were writing only about the fuselage, then there is a lot more than just skin drag. It would be simple to make a sailplane with a cylinder for a fuselage, but such a shape produces, (for the fuselage alone) a Cd close to 1. So I think your statement is a little shorter than it needs to be to be valid.

Quote:
*the 1957 MG EX 181 registered Cd 0.12 on 'real' tires

The MG, Bonneville streamliners, the .143 Sunraycer, etc all taken together show that there is something about them that is dramatically different than a Malibu -- it takes more than tapering the back to make a really low Cd.

Quote:
*Sub-0.12 coefficients of aerodynamic drag can result from wheel streamlining.
I think you meant to say, perhaps, that sub .12 Cd's can result from wheel streamlining if everything else has been optimized. The MG's wheels are already quite well streamlined, and the body is extremely well streamlined, front and rear, but still it is not sub .12. The Aptera had well streamlined wheels but is a long way from sub .12. The VLC has well-streamlined wheels but is also a long way from .12

As of 2010, the .143 number for the Sunraycer still stood as the lowest recorded at GM.

Quote:
*the 'Template' is a streamlining tool to correct flow separation with production automobiles operating on public thoroughfares.Wind tunnel investigations have demonstrated Cd 0.12 with vehicles with the 'Template' aft-body.
This makes it sound as if one merely puts a boat tail on a car according to the template, and a Cd of .12 results. I imagine that's not what you intended. My old Citroen SM was a reasonably good fit for the template, but gained very little from extending the rear into a full boat tail, vs the existing Kamm back. Its Cd was around .30 either way.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ken Fry For This Useful Post:
COcyclist (12-12-2022)
Old 01-10-2012, 07:53 PM   #24 (permalink)
Aero Wannabe

TDi - '04 VW Golf
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 53.2 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Fry View Post
My old Citroen SM was a reasonably good fit for the template, but gained very little from extending the rear into a full boat tail, vs the existing Kamm back. Its Cd was around .30 either way.
Ken, did you test the Citroen with a full boat tail? Was there a difference in mpg with or without?

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
The power needed to push an object through a fluid increases as the cube of the velocity. Mechanical friction increases as the square, so increasing speed requires progressively more power.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:57 PM   #25 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

AlienMobile - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
90 day: 80.05 mpg (US)
Quote:
.....There are many reasons sailplanes look the way they do. There are many reasons solar racers look they way they do. It is not coincidence that they look very "clean" at the front, as well as at the rear. It is no coincidence that solar racers have impossibly skinny tires......
I agree.

It's interesting, but when you think about it, the tail of the vehicle does not matter one hoot without attached air at the front....

This is important, so I will say it again in a different way.

On a properly designed vehicle, the tail "will" give the greatest benefit aerodynamically, but not without a properly designed front.

Sounds simple and somewhat trite, but very true non-the-less.

So when it comes time to start aero improvements to a vehicle, the best place to start is at the front....

The tail will come, in it's own time!

Jim.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 3-Wheeler For This Useful Post:
jime57 (01-16-2012), landsailor (01-12-2012)
Old 01-11-2012, 06:29 PM   #26 (permalink)
A Legend in his Own Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcyclist View Post
Ken, did you test the Citroen with a full boat tail? Was there a difference in mpg with or without?
Yes. I followed the slope of the trunk floor and the hatch, and the taper of the sides. (The SM body was already on its way to a boat tail, with rear track 10" narrower than front.) I'd say the fairing in of the tail with the body was "pretty much OK". The surface was insulation board. I'd tufted the rear window and flow there was pretty well attached in both cases.

At the time (late 1970's) this was a pretty casual experiment. I didn't have access to really accurate fuel flow equipment, so used two 50 mile runs, filled at the same pump location at the same station, etc. and didn't observe any difference. At the time, I was half expecting to see a slight increase in drag from the tail, being, at the time, a half believer in the Kamm effect, but also thought that the flow was well enough attached (at least to the rear window to benefit from a boat tail. There is a little bump at the center of the trunk lid that I faired in crudely. Perhaps removing the bump (not something I would do for a test, of course) would have helped.

Far to many variables at play to say what its real effect might have been. I picked a pretty still day, but could have had a slight tailwind on one trial and a slight headwind on the other. (Although both trials were out and back, but on a widely divided highway.) I think there was very little effect on this car that was already pretty clean and close to being boat-tailed... But I don't have a scientific leg to stand on.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ken Fry For This Useful Post:
COcyclist (01-12-2012)
Old 01-12-2012, 10:02 AM   #27 (permalink)
Aero Wannabe

TDi - '04 VW Golf
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 53.2 mpg (US)
Cool car Ken!

File:Citroen SM in Stockholm rear.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I do admit thinking they were a little odd looking back in the day. Now, thanks to Ecomodder, I understand what they were doing with that design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
The power needed to push an object through a fluid increases as the cube of the velocity. Mechanical friction increases as the square, so increasing speed requires progressively more power.

Last edited by COcyclist; 01-12-2012 at 01:20 PM..
Old 01-12-2012, 12:31 PM   #28 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

OurInsight - '06 Honda Insight
I have always admired them and thought them attractive for the form which follows function. But then again, I think the Gen 1 Insight is one of the prettiest cars ever built ;-)
Old 01-12-2012, 07:35 PM   #29 (permalink)
A Legend in his Own Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcyclist View Post
Cool car Ken!

File:Citroen SM in Stockholm rear.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I do admit thinking they were a little odd looking back in the day. Now, thanks to Ecomodder, I understand what they were doing with that design.
At the time, they were often called the world's most aerodynamic production car. A slightly later model, the CX, was named for coefficient of drag, Cx. The SM's Cx (or Cd) is sometimes quoted as .26, although I remember .30 being usually seen. (But this article shows it higher. The article makes the good point that the value depends strongly on the wind tunnel used.)
Aerodynamics

A glutton for punishment, I had the SM and a DS21 at the same time. Both were fun to drive and own. Almost everything was different than in other cars. The SM had self-centering steering with just two turns lock to lock. The assist would vary with road speed, a new idea at the time. The self- centering worked even at a standstill, so you could crank the wheel over to full lock, release the wheel, and it would center itself.

The ride height could be set anywhere from about 4" clearance to 12" clearance ( and it self-levelled to adjust for any load). The extremes were used for jacking the car: you raised it all the way, put a special jack stand on a boss on the chassis, and then lowered the car all the way, and the support-side wheel would be off the ground (lifted by the antisway bar).

I used to lower the car when I parked. Then I'd come out, and if there were people around, I'd get in, start the car, set the ride height back to normal, and then get out. The back, being lighter always came up first. So I'd walk around to the back and pretend to lift that end. I'd have enough time to then walk to the front and pretend to lift that end. Got some great looks!

The brakes were operated by a servo valve instead of a master cylinder. (Brakes, steering and suspension were all operated by the central hydraulic system.) There was a mushroom-shaped button on the floor that moved a total of about 1/4 - 1/2 inch. This had a feedback loop that pressed the button toward your foot according to brake pressure. Worked very well but took a few stops to get used to the quite powerful brakes -- which recorded shorter stopping distances than all other cars of the time in some tests. It was fun to have friends drive the car: most would weave all over the road, over-correcting steering, and many would come to a few quite abrupt stops.

Then there was the great looking four cam Maserati engine, which performed pretty well and didn't catch on fire with every start... just a few. Three dual throat Webers were used with velocity stacks hidden by the aircleaner plenum. No chokes, just mixture enrichers -- which I think may have been manually operated. Lot's of overlap and low velocity through big throats lead to some spitting back and an occasional backfire. But what's an Italian engine without some drama?

Mine had US headlights: just 4 ordinary fixed-mount sealed beams. You could not have covers over headlights back then in the US. The European lights were covered, so the whole front of the car was glass. There were 6 lights and the middle two steered and self-levelled, so that under hard braking, you could still see out ahead.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:22 PM   #30 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Apology to NUNA folks

Quote:
Hi Aerohead,
Good observations. I imagine you are thinking about more than you are actually writing. For example, you mention the wheel-less Aptera/Morelli shape which (several sources agree) is a .05 -.06 shape, as is a typical bomb, torpedo, etc. But what you did not mention is that the actual CD with wheels, suspension, ground proximity and drive shafts is at least .15, and the X Prize test results suggest a little higher than that -- although I don't have an accurate frontal area.

Sailplanes are all about lift/drag, and fuselage drag is a small part of the overall drag. Induced drag is the big part. If you were writing only about the fuselage, then there is a lot more than just skin drag. It would be simple to make a sailplane with a cylinder for a fuselage, but such a shape produces, (for the fuselage alone) a Cd close to 1. So I think your statement is a little shorter than it needs to be to be valid.

The MG, Bonneville streamliners, the .143 Sunraycer, etc all taken together show that there is something about them that is dramatically different than a Malibu -- it takes more than tapering the back to make a really low Cd.

I think you meant to say, perhaps, that sub .12 Cd's can result from wheel streamlining if everything else has been optimized. The MG's wheels are already quite well streamlined, and the body is extremely well streamlined, front and rear, but still it is not sub .12. The Aptera had well streamlined wheels but is a long way from sub .12. The VLC has well-streamlined wheels but is also a long way from .12

As of 2010, the .143 number for the Sunraycer still stood as the lowest recorded at GM.

This makes it sound as if one merely puts a boat tail on a car according to the template, and a Cd of .12 results. I imagine that's not what you intended. My old Citroen SM was a reasonably good fit for the template, but gained very little from extending the rear into a full boat tail, vs the existing Kamm back. Its Cd was around .30 either way.
Hi Ken,I caught your comments a few days ago and wanted to do some homework before I responded.Good comments,thanks!
*With respect to Aptera,Hucho's Cd 0.05 was for a 'normal' ground clearance.I understand that as a condition of X-Prize competition,that each vehicle would be evaluated for Cd.I've not kept up and no member has volunteered any data,so I have no idea what Aptera's Cd ended up at.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
* with respect to the sailplane,I must tell you that I shudder every time a member interjects aeronautical aerodynamics into road vehicle aerodynamics.
Hucho reminds us that fully attached flow is presumed for aircraft and the same cannot be said for road vehicles.
*Abbott and Von Doenhoff would remind us that 'data' for aircraft are valid only for 'flight conditions',i.e.,no turbulence,no ground-effect,and also that everything on an aircraft is a parasite beyond the wing.Since the fuselage is presumed in attached flow,then it can have no pressure drag,only skin friction.
The sailplane,aside from parasitic drag would experience induced drag do to lift.
*If members were talking about a fuselage as a road vehicle body then separation would have to in the discussion.
*with respect to Bonneville streamliners and Sunraycer,the emphasis is on minimum frontal area of course,along with separation-free flow,and directional stability.The emphasis I'd like place with them is their similarity with respect to aft-body wake turbulence elimination via boat-tailing.
*with respect to the Chevy Malibu,it's Hucho that tells us that the only way we can get it to Cd 0.12 is with boat-tailing.Walter Lay of the University of Michigan proved the premise in 1933 after wind tunnel investigation in which varying degrees of boat-tail were added to a model passenger car.Three of his 'cars' achieved Cd 0.12.
*And it is my contention that if you're looking for Cd 0.12 that you'll never get there without a boat tail.Of course,everything upstream has got to be clean and Hucho's the one implying that generally,the typical current day automobile has a good enough front to exploit the tail.
* with respect to the 1971-1974 Citroen SM,I only have a brief article about one that owner Jerry Hathaway ran at Bonneville at 154 mph on an estimated 250 bhp.There is a photo of the car from the side.Under the 'Template' it appears that the flow is compromised at the very top of the backlight,with the rear slope going to 26-degrees (Ford Pinto,Datsun 240 Z).
The flow should separate right there with no hope of re-attachment.It's just too steep.Adding a tail,extending the original achitecture of the car's rear would stuff the wake,helping a bit,but would never establish clean flow.
The SM,at factory length,with a 'Template' roofline would be capable of Cd 0.19.
Hope this data helps.
PS I forgot about the wheel/tire streamlining.And yes,once the major body modifications were accomplished,it would be time to go after the wheel/tire drag of which Hucho reports,can constitute half the drag of a low drag car.
And we don't have much to work with except the solar cars,as they're the only ones which actually operate at real world road speeds in turbulent boundary layer flow.
An apology to NUNA folks.When Ken posted the photo of the NUNA my brain went to the pac II super mileage car.(early dementia!)
I'd just recently been re-visiting an article about Dr.Andrew Franks at University of California,Davis,California campus,and a couple of super mileage cars they'd built(Side Effects & Shamu ).These are for SAE's Super Mileage competition which requires an average speed of 15-mph (24 km/h).
Anyway,my pea-brain envisioned NUNA-5 as one of these cars,when solar cars actually are 'full-size' cars and DO operate in a turbulent boundary layer flow(the real world).
I also beat up on NUNA's wheel fairings,and after 'looking' at the appropriate vehicle find no fault in its design.

So I want to say I'm sorry for the insult,and for casting confusion.I've sent off the Seattle,Washington for an ACME Corrective Hat and will wait impatiently for its arrival.

Last edited by aerohead; 01-16-2012 at 05:25 PM.. Reason: delete incorrect NUNA data
Reply  Post New Thread