Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2018, 05:59 PM   #421 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
rims update

I got the opportunity to finish blanking the holes on my 2007 BMW MINI seven hole rims. The mod creates a "flat" surface to improve aerodynamics. Preventing the airflow from flowing THROUGH the rim face should prevent much of the turbulence created by wheels. I don't use my brakes enough to worry about excessive heat and fade. Rear wheels were done two or three months ago some more details are available earlier in this thread.

Here is some of the data behind the thought (citation for the article this comes from is linked below):

Here is the look:

CITATIONS:

"AEROHEAD" opinion cite... somewhere on ecomodder.com I swear it.

Alexey Vdovin, "Investigation of Aerodynamic Resistance of Rotating Wheels on Passenger Cars," (Gothenburg, Sweden: Department of Applied Mechanics, CHALMERS UNIVERSITY OF TECHNOLOGY, 2013).
http://publications.lib.chalmers.se/...302/176302.pdf

See also:
http://publications.lib.chalmers.se/...ext/133661.pdf
"Blocking the crossflow through the rims result in increased static pressure in the front wheel house and thereby an increase in lift, whereas blocking the crossflow in the rear result in increased downforce due to an increased flow rate through the diffuser. It was however shown that the resulting flow around the rear wheel was highly dependent of the rim design in the front."

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW MINI 7-holes blanked aero -1.jpg
Views:	1868
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	24543   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW MINI 7-holes blanked aero -2.jpg
Views:	1850
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	24544   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vdovin - Investigation of Aerodynamic Resistance of Rotating Wheels on Passenger Cars -p25.png
Views:	2430
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	24545  
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
RedDevil (01-02-2019)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-27-2018, 08:01 PM   #422 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Updating and reinstalling mods

I have a little time and so am getting to some overdue repair and remounting of several mods. Mostly I want them to be cleaner and more stable in their mounting. I completed the Warm Air Intake and the Brake Vacuum Canister expander today. Previous mounting was rubbing other parts and not as secure as they should be. Next will be my cooling rad ducting, side skirts, and wheel well skirts.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20181227_164936.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	25322  
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
Joggernot (12-28-2018), mpg_numbers_guy (12-27-2018), Xist (12-28-2018)
Old 12-30-2018, 06:12 PM   #423 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Updating and reinstalling mods, part 2

Grill block and ducting for cooling radiator. Winter position of the license plate shown. In summer I move it further right to enlarge the opening. Air is ducted into the radiator. The ducting is made from reused thick aluminum. Was free.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2018-12-30-15-09-11.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	25335  

Xist (12-31-2018)
Old 12-30-2018, 07:06 PM   #424 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

IGL - '04 Saturn Ion
Team Saturn
90 day: 56.19 mpg (US)
VERY nice grille block sir! Also did you paint part of your air dam?

My last Ecotec project...
Old 12-31-2018, 09:20 AM   #425 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19bonestock88 View Post
... Also did you paint part of your air dam?
I did. A quick and dirty forest green spray coat or two. Part of the "theme" of the car. "Black and Green" eco-rat.

Old 01-01-2019, 02:23 PM   #426 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

IGL - '04 Saturn Ion
Team Saturn
90 day: 56.19 mpg (US)
I wanted to recolor my car white, leave the mods black and add lime green striping... you know, “Ion Green Line”, but a repaint is likely never gonna happen...

My last Ecotec project...
Old 01-02-2019, 01:05 AM   #427 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19bonestock88 View Post
I wanted to recolor my car white, leave the mods black and add lime green striping... you know, “Ion Green Line”, but a repaint is likely never gonna happen...
When it became clear that the roof paint was quite far gone, I decided not even to maintain the paint in the traditional ways, much less repaint or touch up the original coat. I wash the car by wiping off the morning mist water that settles on it sometimes. And I periodically treat the coat with Boiled Linseed Oil--cheaper and more "eco" I suppose than the chemicals people usually buy. Slowly, the paint is deteriorating, and I am fine with that. The oil hides clearcoat flaking in a couple small places.

Old 01-02-2019, 07:50 AM   #428 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
I got the opportunity to finish blanking the holes on my 2007 BMW MINI seven hole rims. The mod creates a "flat" surface to improve aerodynamics. Preventing the airflow from flowing THROUGH the rim face should prevent much of the turbulence created by wheels. I don't use my brakes enough to worry about excessive heat and fade ... Here is the look:
What did you use to blank out the holes? Looks like foam board?

I was thinking about doing something like that, turning and rolling an aluminum sheet to make an inner cover for the rims in addition to a flat one on the outside. It needs to be shaped to miss the brakes, or I'd have to leave out a big hole for the hub. But I'd prefer it whole to have it locked down by the wheel.
I once covered the wheel covers on my winter set, but they tore and collected dust and stones on the inside.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.
Old 01-02-2019, 07:45 PM   #429 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic
And I periodically treat the coat with Boiled Linseed Oil--cheaper and more "eco" I suppose than the chemicals people usually buy.
Interesting. I've got Original German paint from the 1970s. It's got many minor scratches. I'm thinking about painting the rust with a Sumi-ι brush and rust converter, then maybe Plastidip, but that would be over $100 for materials.

How many pints of linseed oil for one coat on a compact car?

Old 01-03-2019, 01:29 AM   #430 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
... How many pints of linseed oil for one coat on a compact car?
Not even one. The goal is a very thin layer. One would measure the oil in ML or OZ. Here is someone who did it and applied it a little heavier than I do:

freebeard (01-03-2019)
Reply  Post New Thread