Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2019, 04:45 AM   #231 (permalink)
In the fasting lane
 
RedDevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Nieuwegein, the Netherlands
Posts: 3,967

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 51.56 mpg (US)
Thanks: 1,689
Thanked 2,207 Times in 1,429 Posts
The net weight of the Cybertruck will be around the same as a comparable F150, but it has so much more load capacity that its gross vehicle weight (including max load) puts it in another category.

We don't have many trucks over here because of cost and taxing (less of the preferential tax treatment that they get in the US) so most are bought by those who really need them, like gardeners and builders. They typically buy the cheapest-to-operate truck that has the required load capacity.
I expect a lot of Cybertrucks will find their way to here.

__________________
2011 Honda Insight + HID, LEDs, tiny PV panel, extra brake pad return springs, neutral wheel alignment, 44/42 PSI (air), PHEV light (inop), tightened wheel nut.
lifetime FE over 0.17 Gmeter or 0.1 Mmile.



Investors woes:
"In hindsight, I should have placed a bet on the horse that won the race"
"In hindsight, I should have bet more on that horse"
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RedDevil For This Useful Post:
aerohead (12-14-2019)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 12-14-2019, 01:34 PM   #232 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
aerohead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sanger,Texas,U.S.A.
Posts: 13,218
Thanks: 21,151
Thanked 6,429 Times in 4,006 Posts
1/2-model

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Hersbird. It was Hersbird.

Do you have the $100K up front, or would it be on lease?

I put this in the other thread:

"][/URL]
He's not faithfully reproducing extremely-important features which exist in the actual Cybertruck.Pity!
__________________
Photobucket album: http://s1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj622/aerohead2/
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 01:43 PM   #233 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
aerohead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sanger,Texas,U.S.A.
Posts: 13,218
Thanks: 21,151
Thanked 6,429 Times in 4,006 Posts
RAM 2500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
The payloads of the 2500 Ram, F250, and Chevy 2500 are so much higher it doesn't matter if they are stripper models. Even the fully loaded 4wd diesels are going to beat 3500 pounds, if not you still can pay $500 more and get a 3500 version that will have even more cushion.
I'll bet you the 3500 pound Tesla is the 2wd version, I bet the 500 mile 3 motor has the same GVWR as the base and under a 3000 pound payload.
Face it, worst in class payload and towing on the Tesla no matter how you spin it.
The Ram's 2183 Watts-hr/mile, 474.3 miles range,on a 1.0354 MegaWatt-hr battery is off-putting.And at $67,655,for a loaded 2019 version,I'm not registering any value.
__________________
Photobucket album: http://s1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj622/aerohead2/
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 01:57 PM   #234 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
aerohead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sanger,Texas,U.S.A.
Posts: 13,218
Thanks: 21,151
Thanked 6,429 Times in 4,006 Posts
better

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
The only vehicle I've ever despised is my Dodge Ram because absolutely everything has been replaced at least once, except the body which is in disarray.

If the Tesla tows 500 pounds less but doesn't take 4 gallons of oil for an oil change, or have a crap transmission, or a finicky fuel pump... or a million other things that suck about full sized trucks, it's a winner.

What if the Tesla was better in every way? What would be the excuse then?

Being opposed to change for changes sake is dumb.
I can spend $67,655 for the 2019,Ram 2500 HD Power Wagon 6.4-L Hemi Crew Cab's BSFC = 0.535-lbs/bhp-hr,or $62,000 for Tesla's BSFC = 0.1872-lbs/bhp-hr.And the Cybertruck may come with free Supercharging,as the Model S P85 does.The Model S saves the owner $4500 for each 5-years on 'fuel'.I think I prefer Tesla's arithmetic.
__________________
Photobucket album: http://s1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj622/aerohead2/
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 02:14 PM   #235 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist
 
redpoint5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 9,578

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 28.24 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 27.35 mpg (US)
Thanks: 3,305
Thanked 3,628 Times in 2,714 Posts
Yes, I think the Tesla truck will make financial sense for those whose needs it fulfills. Don't think there is any chance it will get free Supercharging though. Free charging was a marketing strategy to launch the first large(ish) production model vehicle. Offering it now doesn't make sense because everyone knows about Tesla, and the people that want one won't need "free charging" to put them over the purchasing edge. That, and Tesla doesn't want people using their chargers that don't actually need them, because they don't want to build more chargers than necessary.
__________________
Gas and Electric Vehicle Cost of Ownership Calculator







Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (12-14-2019)
Old 12-14-2019, 02:25 PM   #236 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
aerohead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sanger,Texas,U.S.A.
Posts: 13,218
Thanks: 21,151
Thanked 6,429 Times in 4,006 Posts
free-charging

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Yes, I think the Tesla truck will make financial sense for those whose needs it fulfills. Don't think there is any chance it will get free Supercharging though. Free charging was a marketing strategy to launch the first large(ish) production model vehicle. Offering it now doesn't make sense because everyone knows about Tesla, and the people that want one won't need "free charging" to put them over the purchasing edge. That, and Tesla doesn't want people using their chargers that don't actually need them, because they don't want to build more chargers than necessary.
Sometimes I get to visit with Tesla owners at the local Supercharger station.Some have lifetime-free-charging.Since it's happening here,I presumed (perhaps incorrectly) that it may remain an option in 2021,and beyond.
__________________
Photobucket album: http://s1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj622/aerohead2/
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 02:35 PM   #237 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist
 
redpoint5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 9,578

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 28.24 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 27.35 mpg (US)
Thanks: 3,305
Thanked 3,628 Times in 2,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
Sometimes I get to visit with Tesla owners at the local Supercharger station.Some have lifetime-free-charging.Since it's happening here,I presumed (perhaps incorrectly) that it may remain an option in 2021,and beyond.
It was originally set to phase out Jan of 2017, but was extended in several different ways for the Model S and X. The Model 3 only had up to 2 years of free charging.

Tesla reinstated free charging for life for the Model S and X to help offset waning demand. With a new model launch, they won't have a problem with demand, at least initially, so i don't expect this marketing strategy to be applied.
__________________
Gas and Electric Vehicle Cost of Ownership Calculator







Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
aerohead (12-14-2019)
Old 12-14-2019, 03:02 PM   #238 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Missoula, MT
Posts: 2,453

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanks: 247
Thanked 1,063 Times in 726 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedDevil View Post
The net weight of the Cybertruck will be around the same as a comparable F150, but it has so much more load capacity that its gross vehicle weight (including max load) puts it in another category.

We don't have many trucks over here because of cost and taxing (less of the preferential tax treatment that they get in the US) so most are bought by those who really need them, like gardeners and builders. They typically buy the cheapest-to-operate truck that has the required load capacity.
I expect a lot of Cybertrucks will find their way to here.
No it won't, and there are F150s available with 3270 pounds of payload. I'll bet the GVWR on the Cybertruck is at least 9000 pounds, I actually believe thy will just go straight to 10,000 pounds and not mess around. I bet any 4wd outweighs my 2001 3/4 ton 4x4 Suburban that has Cybertruck type payload numbers.

I'm all for making the Cybertruck but just don't get all the fairyland beliefs surrounding it.
  Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hersbird For This Useful Post:
aerohead (12-14-2019), JSH (12-14-2019)
Old 12-14-2019, 03:06 PM   #239 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Missoula, MT
Posts: 2,453

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanks: 247
Thanked 1,063 Times in 726 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
I can spend $67,655 for the 2019,Ram 2500 HD Power Wagon 6.4-L Hemi Crew Cab's BSFC = 0.535-lbs/bhp-hr,or $62,000 for Tesla's BSFC = 0.1872-lbs/bhp-hr.And the Cybertruck may come with free Supercharging,as the Model S P85 does.The Model S saves the owner $4500 for each 5-years on 'fuel'.I think I prefer Tesla's arithmetic.
Dave Smith over here had a new 2019 Power Wagon for $51,000. The Power Wagon is actually a very expensive dedicated off road package with a $2000 warn winch even included. You can get a perfectly nice 4X4 crew cab 2500 Ram in the high $30's, a 1500 the same in the $20's.
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hersbird For This Useful Post:
aerohead (12-14-2019)
Old 12-14-2019, 03:18 PM   #240 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
freebeard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: northwest of normal
Posts: 20,809
Thanks: 5,824
Thanked 6,792 Times in 5,491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5
Free charging was a marketing strategy to launch the first large(ish) production model vehicle. Offering it now doesn't make sense because everyone knows about Tesla, and the people that want one won't need "free charging" to put them over the purchasing edge. That, and Tesla doesn't want people using their chargers that don't actually need them, because they don't want to build more chargers than necessary.
'First one's free' is a marketing strategy adopted from a different industry, if you get my drift.

But paid fast charging almost anywhere isn't such a bad deal.

__________________
.
"Never trust an actor with a gun"
Abraham Lincoln (probably)

____________________
  Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
aerohead (12-14-2019), ldjessee00 (12-19-2019)
Reply  Post New Thread


Thread Tools




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com