Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2011, 01:17 AM   #51 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Golden Egg - '93 Toyota Previa DX
90 day: 31.91 mpg (US)

Chewie - '03 Toyota Prius
90 day: 57 mpg (US)

The Spaceship - '00 Honda Insight
You could go a bit steeper and still end up with the 10-12 degrees that gives the lowest drag although what you have there is good as is.

"It’s easy to explain how rockets work but explaining the aerodynamics of a wing takes a rocket scientist.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-27-2011, 07:03 AM   #52 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange4boy View Post
Nice progress on the tail. Subscribed!

Just had to correct you here. All the studies I have seen do not back this statement up. LRR tires have to be taken on a case by case basis. In a recent tire test in Europe many of the LRR tires tested had higher traction numbers than the HRR tires. In fact the two top tires were LRR. The Nokian H came out first in the test followed closely by the Michelin Energy saver. This was in a group of premium tires of which 4 out of 9 were LRR. Nokian also sells a LRR snow tire, the Hakka R which is one of the best winter tires out there. On the other hand, the famously ultra LRR Bridgestone B381 for the insight is a pretty mediocre tire in the traction dept. The carcass has a lot to do with LRR which does not factor into traction much. It's all about quality

Actually, it is much more complex than that. "Quality" is not the main issue. The compromises made in the design and construction of the tire are quite involved and the technology is still "emerging". Specifically, compounds used in the tread have a great influence on rolling resistance, braking, and traction. There have been indications that some of the LRR tires in Europe have failed tests for braking and have caused the EU to reevaluate their proposed standards requiring LRR tires.

It is true that each tire must be evaluated on its own, but as a class LRR tires should be approached with caution. There is also the matter of just what a LRR tire is. The marketing people at the tire companies are as adept at "spinning" as anyone else. There are "energy", "green" and other terms that have no particular meaning and (unsubstantiated) claims without outside testing to determine their validity. The consumer does not have the ability to do this sort of thing. Some web sites, such as TireRack have a certain amount of testing, but even they are challenged to comprehensively evaluate LRR tires.

In any event, the evaluation of tire performance is not easily done and each individual must consider which characteristics are most important in the driving conditions which they expect to encounter most often.

It is not appropriate to simply say "get some LRR resistance tires".

Cheers
Old 03-27-2011, 08:23 AM   #53 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendragon View Post
There have been indications that some of the LRR tires in Europe have failed tests for braking and have caused the EU to reevaluate their proposed standards requiring LRR tires.
That's what happens when too much emphasis is placed on the LRR factor.
Tyres are, and highly likely always will be a compromise.
You can't win, you're only trading off for something else.

The problem is there are no challenging minimums for braking and handling.
So we can still get badly handling tyres with great LRR and FE, while first and foremost you'd want a tyre that handles and brakes decently, but still has good RR.

The Michelin Energy Saver is about as far as I'm willing to go in this trade off.

Old 03-27-2011, 01:55 PM   #54 (permalink)
NightKnight

RippinRoo - '05 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT
Subaru
90 day: 21.16 mpg (US)

Helga - '00 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
Diesel
90 day: 53.91 mpg (US)

Olga - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon
90 day: 46.24 mpg (US)
Quote:

It is not appropriate to simply say "get some LRR resistance tires".
I would say that's true regardless of which type of tire a person is looking for... "performance", "mud & snow", etc. Just because the manufacturer claims the tire has a particular characteristic, does not mean it compares well to others in its class. Nor does it mean it meets all the specs you might want. Even the same tire in different sizes, or spec'd for a certain car, can have different behaviors. It is complex, so buyer beware, YMMV, etc.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:58 PM   #55 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

LRR tires meet the same federal standards for treadwear, traction, and temperature resistance as regular tires.

Quote:
all low rolling resistance tires have made compromises which have made the tire's performance in braking and wet weather traction less than many of the tires which are not marketed as low rolling resistance.
That's the statement I'm addressing. That's an over generalization which gives the impression that all LRR tires are crap. If you had put 'some' in there I'd be cool with it.

I absolutely agree with you that tire purchases require some thought and study to wade through the hype. Sadly very few people bother.

As for the "Energy Saver":

From Autoblog Green:
Quote:
According to Consumer Reports, both the Michelin Energy Saver A/S and Cooper GFE served as good all-purpose tires, but the Michelin Man came out swinging with superior performance in rolling resistance along with wet and dry braking. In fact, so good was the performance of the Energy Savers that they would slot in at number two on CR's chart of all comparable tires regardless of their rolling resistance rating.
Sorry about the thread jacking... Back to the tail...

"It’s easy to explain how rockets work but explaining the aerodynamics of a wing takes a rocket scientist.

Old 03-27-2011, 07:53 PM   #56 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange4boy View Post
LRR tires meet the same federal standards for treadwear, traction, and temperature resistance as regular tires.
Not to make too fine a point of it, but there is not a Federal "Standard". There are rating or classifications: A, B, C etc and the tread wear ratings: 240, 320, 600 (gee, I wonder just how those tires feel in the rain).

The point, which I think you agree with, is that it is not easy for the average consumer to make an informed choice. If they are lucky, the tire store will have someone with some experience to assist them.

Cheers

Last edited by Pendragon; 03-27-2011 at 07:53 PM.. Reason: typo
The Following User Says Thank You to Pendragon For This Useful Post:
COcyclist (03-28-2011)
Old 03-29-2011, 05:55 PM   #57 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Leftnut - '03 Volkswagen Jetta GLS
Attachment plans

So for right now im thinking i will screw the fittings to the car then drape fiberglass cloth over the pvc and on to the body of the car, then fiberglass it to the car. That is what im thinking any suggestions?
Old 03-29-2011, 06:16 PM   #58 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I would highly recommend making it removeable. You could rivet tabs on to the car then bolt the tail on to the tabs. Tabs could be made from some aluminum T bar.

Old 03-29-2011, 06:38 PM   #59 (permalink)
Wiki Mod

Max - '14 Ford C-Max SEL
I second the removable idea you will want to take it off at some point so plan for it now
Old 03-29-2011, 07:23 PM   #60 (permalink)
NightKnight

RippinRoo - '05 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT
Subaru
90 day: 21.16 mpg (US)

Helga - '00 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
Diesel
90 day: 53.91 mpg (US)

Olga - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon
90 day: 46.24 mpg (US)
Ya, I'd 3rd the idea of making it removable...

Last edited by NachtRitter; 03-30-2011 at 05:05 AM.. Reason: was already 2nd'd
Reply  Post New Thread