Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2008, 08:47 PM   #11 (permalink)
igo
Master EcoModder

Mini Box Truck - '05 Scion Xb
90 day: 32.87 mpg (US)

It FITs - '09 Honda Fit Sport
90 day: 36.2 mpg (US)

Impreza - '13 Subaru Impreza Sport
90 day: 30.92 mpg (US)
I think people will pay over $10 a gallon for gas. Obviously there will be many less cars on the road, but $10 gas is still a deal.

If a car gets 30mpg. Then it only costs 33 cents to drive a mile on $10/gallon gas. It would be possible to drive 5 people 3 miles for $1 (a bargain). There is so much energy in a gallon of gas I see people basically paying as much as gas costs until it is a completely unreachable price.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-02-2008, 09:00 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Aerocivic - '92 Honda Civic CX
Last 3: 70.54 mpg (US)

AerocivicLB - '92 Honda Civic CX
Team Honda
90 day: 55.14 mpg (US)

Camryglide - '20 Toyota Camry hybrid LE
90 day: 62.94 mpg (US)
The higher gas prices has also been affecting general aviation. Of late, I've noticed that the small aircraft flying overhead are running their engines at lower RPM's and at lower airspeeds than they used to. They are running closer to their most fuel efficient air speed.
Old 03-02-2008, 11:49 PM   #13 (permalink)
MP$

Send a message via MSN to diesel_john
image how far you could go on a gallon if you could convert it to electricity @ 95% efficiency with a 1kw magic box.

you need a few batteries for regen, and storage from the solar cell on top, anyway

Last edited by diesel_john; 03-03-2008 at 12:01 AM..
Old 03-02-2008, 11:55 PM   #14 (permalink)
EV test pilot

Electric Cycle - '81 Kawasaki KZ440
90 day: 334.6 mpg (US)

S10 - '95 Chevy S10
90 day: 30.48 mpg (US)

Electro-Metro - '96 Ben Nelson's "Electro-Metro"
90 day: 129.81 mpg (US)

The Wife's Car - Plug-in Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
90 day: 78.16 mpg (US)
I wish we paid closer to a "true cost" of gasoline.

Government subsidies and a lot of other factors effect the cost of price at the pump.

Just image what the price would actually be if we didn't throw wars over oil, broker weird trade deals over it, and have OPEC acting as an oil mafia?

Prices would be very different.

300mpg.org Learn how to BUILD YOUR OWN ELECTRIC CAR CHEAP
My YouTube Videos
Old 03-03-2008, 09:24 AM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Send a message via AIM to Gone4
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennelson View Post
I wish we paid closer to a "true cost" of gasoline.

Government subsidies and a lot of other factors effect the cost of price at the pump.

Just image what the price would actually be if we didn't throw wars over oil, broker weird trade deals over it, and have OPEC acting as an oil mafia?

Prices would be very different.
Removing government subsidies seems like it may help a lot of things. Starting with removing the subsidies for corn so other plants are more viable economically for ethanol and removing subsidies from meat so that we have more food, for less money.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:53 AM   #16 (permalink)
ECO-Evolution

Iron Horse (retired) - '97 Iron horse Intrepid

Ninja - '08 Kawasaki 250R
90 day: 76.23 mpg (US)
True cost of gasoline

This is a year old so it's a little dated. So it even more now.

Quote:
In 2003, as noted, we estimated that the “hidden cost” of imported oil totaled $304.9
billion. When we revisited the external costs, taking into account the higher prices for
crude oil and increased defense expenditures we found that the “hidden cost” had
skyrocketed to $779.5 billion in 2005. That would be equivalent to adding $4.10 to the
price of a gallon of gasoline if amortized over the total volume of imports. For Persian
Gulf imports, because of the enormous military costs associated with the region, the
“hidden cost” was equal to adding $7.41 cents to the price of a gallon of gasoline. When
the nominal cost is combined with this figure it yields a “true” cost of $9.53 per gallon,
but that is just the start

Old 03-03-2008, 09:57 AM   #17 (permalink)
MP$

Send a message via MSN to diesel_john
Wink

"Removing government subsidies seems like it may help a lot of things. Starting with removing the subsidies for corn so other plants are more viable economically for ethanol and removing subsidies from meat so that we have more food, for less money"

i'll grow whatever you want, when the topical climate gets to Cincinnati, i'll grow sugar cane.

i hope the corn growers don't start charging for the oxygen they produce or life is going to get more expensive.

it's not us and them, its just us. one rock, lots of people to feed.

i like this forum very diversified.
Old 05-08-2008, 04:27 PM   #18 (permalink)
Veggiedynamics

Volt12 - '12 Chevy Volt base
HELLO any one home... ?

the fuel prices have not risen.. you are paying the same as when gas was a quarter a gallon in 1964, that is, if you paid in silver or gold...

Here is a video to fill you in:

The price rise is because of INFLATION or also known as the decrease of the dollars value.. Look it up one ounce of gold will but virtually the same amount of gasoline today as it did in 1964... gas or oil and gold and silver are both commodities.

The problem is that your income doesn't increase as inflation does.. the feds inflation numbers are bogus, they don't include stuff like food and fuel..

Where does the inflation come from , the government and the Federal Reserve (its not any more federal than fedex by the way, its just a bank) printing currency with no commodity to back it up.. its monopoly money.

Old 05-08-2008, 06:06 PM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebacherville View Post
its monopoly money.
It's not monopoly money its actually called Fiat money. The gold standard is by no means perfect and if it was a better system we would still be using it. It doesnt matter that you cant buy a gallon of gas for a quarter anymore becuase the minimum wage is not $.50/hour anymore either. Inflation is not bad at all if it kept to a minimum, like 2% a year or so.

Oh and the Federal Reserve is very much controlled by the U.S. federal government, lay of the right wing talk radio.
Old 05-08-2008, 06:33 PM   #20 (permalink)
Veggiedynamics

Volt12 - '12 Chevy Volt base
I'm not debating that the gold standard isnt perfect, or that the Fed isn't controlled by government, the point is that government allows this to happen.. and its effecting people.

The second point was that oil is a commodity and the price for trading commodities has been fairly level while incomes have comparatively fallen, in 1964 for insttance, 2 earner familys were not the norm to make ends mean.. now its almost a given and very rare that it isnt 2 earners in the family.

Point is that people are financially stressed out because of there dollars not going as far for everything from food to fuel and its effecting people's habits now. As another post stated they are spotting more Metros on the roads now, yeah people are fixing up those fuel efficient cars as it makes more sense when they dump $70+ into the tank of there minivans and SUV's on a weekly basis.. It makes total sense.

yeah i know its called fiat money, and were not talking about a little Italian car..

I actually had a 79' Fiat Strada, was a great car that pulled down 40 mpg with a automatic.. till it got T boned by a delta 88..

Reply  Post New Thread