Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2015, 09:16 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 42.54 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number21 View Post
Would I be correct that a setup like this would offer worse mileage on the highway than the same size engine directly connected to the wheels through a transmission? I'm going to be moving way out into the country soon and I need a vehicle that can get me to town on minimum fuel.

I found this plugin hybrid powertrain setup from Via, they claim 100mpg on a little bit lighter vehicle, but that's with a gas engine!
Extended Range Electric Powertrain Trucks, Vans & SUVs-EREVS | VIA Motors

I'm thinking my best option might be a combination of a smaller engine, BAS, and front wheel electric drive. The advantage of having 4WD would be nice. Anybody know how much my extra kidney is worth?
Not sure. The Accord hybrid is rated 50 city / 45 highway, and has ~200hp / 225ft lbs to the wheels.

Running serial might be better if you don't pulse and glide under normal driving conditions, because that's basically what the engine does while cruising at a constant speed (or should do). Direct drive P&G at a given engine size would almost certainly be more efficient.

Last edited by Ecky; 01-11-2015 at 09:52 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-11-2015, 11:35 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

sputnik - '93 oldsmobile silhouette
90 day: 23.23 mpg (US)

home sweet home - '92 ford clubwagon E-350 xlt

very excelant - '92 honda civic vx
ok how about keeping the truck 2wd but add a 4x4 transfer case, electric motor/gen connects to the front output shaft on the transfer case.
2wd would be diesel only,
4wd would connect the electric motor directly to the rear drive shaft for hybrid or re-gen
with the transmission in neutral you would have electric only.
with electric assist and low range when needed you could probably switch to a very high final drive ratio
Old 01-12-2015, 04:03 AM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
I think you are better off snapping up a cheap eco car on ebay or craigs list due to the cheap price of gas. Hell, a few people here have stolen EVs from the dealers.
I've yet to find an economy car with a 4,400lb payload.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryn View Post
ok how about keeping the truck 2wd but add a 4x4 transfer case, electric motor/gen connects to the front output shaft on the transfer case.
2wd would be diesel only,
4wd would connect the electric motor directly to the rear drive shaft for hybrid or re-gen
with the transmission in neutral you would have electric only.
with electric assist and low range when needed you could probably switch to a very high final drive ratio
I really like that idea!! I bet adding a transfer case is less weight than adding a front axle.
Old 01-12-2015, 05:08 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I hate to break it to you, buy most hybrid vehicles have a reduced or no towing limit. You are going to add likely another thousand lbs for a good kit and battery bank and if you got another 4400 lbs on top of that your best bet is to just eco mod the vehicle with aero and friction reduction things and adjusting the nut behind the steering wheel.

Quote:
I've yet to find an economy car with a 4,400lb payload.
Old 01-12-2015, 05:13 PM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

There is always somebody that thinks a car can do what a pickup can. Just stop there. They are two completely different things. Replacing one with the other does not work.

To modify a truck such as this in some of the ways described here would still allow it to tow and carry many thousands of pounds in weight. Check out the Via link I gave above. Believe it or not, they even have hybrid Fedex trucks and big rigs.
Old 01-12-2015, 05:51 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thats why I do not own a truck as I find the cars Ive own can handle a good 900 lbs of quick creek, potting soil, mulch, sand, gravel, etc. at that I still beat epa.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:44 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
There is always somebody that thinks a car can do what a pickup can. Just stop there. They are two completely different things. Replacing one with the other does not work.

To modify a truck such as this in some of the ways described here would still allow it to tow and carry many thousands of pounds in weight. Check out the Via link I gave above. Believe it or not, they even have hybrid Fedex trucks and big rigs.
There are more efficient cars and vans that can probably do most, if not all the hauling you may need to do... but you know what you are hauling and how often, not us. I'll assume you know what you need and that the truck fits the bill.

First, did you happen to get a manual tranny in yours?

There are a few people on this forum that have managed impressive numbers with large diesel trucks. Search for DieselDave and Big Dave. Your name isn't Dave, is it? You'd fit right in...

A quick search would have found you this thread:
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...les-24514.html
That may give you some ideas to pursue for converting to Hybrid.

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods
Old 01-14-2015, 01:09 AM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
Thats why I do not own a truck as I find the cars Ive own can handle a good 900 lbs of quick creek, potting soil, mulch, sand, gravel, etc. at that I still beat epa.
I can pound in a nail with a microscope, that doesn't make it the right tool for the job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcane View Post
There are more efficient cars and vans that can probably do most, if not all the hauling you may need to do...
I really don't think so. A smaller vehicle is also a gas powered vehicle in the US. I got stuck behind some idiot going 40mph on the highway and got 22mpg totally stock. With some tuning and other stuff (not hybrid) I would expect at least 25mpg on the highway. I doubt there are many gas powered vans or SUVs that can safely carry 1000lbs of cargo or more and still get 25mpg. If there are they have NO power and suck to drive.

As for trying to shove a bunch of crap into an economy car, that is simply unsafe for you and everyone else on the road.

Last edited by Number21; 01-14-2015 at 01:23 AM..
Old 01-14-2015, 09:04 AM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Well, physics is difficult to cheat at. You got aero and rolling resistance to deal with. Most of the mods we are mentioned are a combination of the 2. Do the hybrid kits really skirt those laws, who knows? I think it would take a while to get the pay back not to mention break even with the cheaper fuel prices around.

I got a phev kit for my honda and it paid for itself in 17 months. Now at 22 months I started to have problems and quit using it for fear of further damaging it.

If you got to regularly move 4400 lbs around have you considered contracting it out to let someone else deal with the logistics? Get a courier, freighter or just shipping it? Ive purchased big heavy items across several states and its just cheaper to have it sent vs drive there, drive back and expenses like food and missing time at my day job.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:50 AM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 42.54 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,547 Posts
I'm hoping to be able to pull about 1000lbs in my Insight and would be surprised if I got less than 60mpg on the highway while hauling. For 4400lbs you're almost certainly going to need a truck though.

Ideally, I'd probably start with an older 5MT Tacoma and build a gull-wing topper. Lower it a bit, keep tire pressure up, air dam and adjustable grille block. Smooth wheel covers, rear skirts, and some paneling on the underside. You wouldn't have the advantage of being able to drive around on just electricity, but the cost:benefit would probably be better.

Reply  Post New Thread